Zadok's Alive?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From Mark Rosewater's article today

Dear Mark Rosewater,

Regarding your article "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Truth":

You're getting very good at giving the same answer over and over again. We print bad cards because they make some players happy. We print bad cards at rare because it makes some players happy. Rinse, repeat.

The problem is, I think you're using that answer as a crutch for when you have no good answers. There's no reason to print, say, Mudhole. It makes no one happy. One With Nothing makes no one happy. (Or, if you prefer, the people it DOES make happy would be made equally happy by a playable card that allows for a similar effect - Say, Putrid Imp.)

Your audience asks you a question ("Why make bad rares?"). You reply by asserting the existence of a player group that actually LIKES bad rares. Of course, we have no evidence for the existence of such a group aside from your assertion. In essence, you're answering in a manner that is, to the outside observer, absurdly circular - You're right to do X because you (and only you) have evidence that X is the correct course of action.

And then you act confused when people challenge your explanation.

--David Stroud

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wow, strong words by Zadok.

I saw him on MGO a little while back, too. I tried to chat with him, but he didn't reply.

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

It's odd how Zadoc is ignoring the CPA.

And everywhere else, too. I asked MaRo for his e-mail... possibly a direct assault will cause him to reply?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. It's a bit weird and unsettling how he just "up and left" the CPA, without any word or explanation.

Azrael might have it too - they go to the same school.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a problem with that. But it would have been nice for him to see 'adieu' here, especially since he's a Founder and all...

O

orgg

Well, MaRo said he'd do another interview... that question was in a PS, so he read the request for Zadok's e-mail.

Unfortunatly, it seems he doesn't have it anymore.

D

Dark_Tira

I'll ask him why he doesn't come here anymore. He certainly still plays magic, I played him some mental last week and he showed me some cards he got in a draft. Maybe he just forgot this place exists.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But Ferret came back and told us he found a non-Magic outlet for a while. Here, Zadok's still playing Magic...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

The last time I saw him was about two semesters ago. He definetly still played magic, went to regionals in my area, and played in the UMBC game room. However I haven't seen him since he stopped going to get a job. But from what Dark Tira is saying soungs like he is back in Oregon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So he didn't graduate from UMBC? :confused:

Isty: Could be... but still would be interesting to know why. Did the CPA change in his mind from what it started out to be, for instance...

D

Dark_Tira

Ok, I was at Zadok's place yesterday and he said he was alive, though I wouldn't trust a corpse to tell the truth so it could be either way still. On why he hasn't posted on CPA lately, I don't feel qualified to answer though I do have a reasonable idea why.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Lately"? It's been at least two years...

You feel it's his perogative to say why? That's a Catch-22... he needs to be on to say why, but he'll "never" on... so I guess we'll never know.