Super Edgewalker Fantastic!

R

Rooser

Here's a nutty combo that I gotta take to extended if I want to make it go.

Land (21)
Caves of Koilos x4
Swamp x7
Plains x10

Teh Combo (14)
Skullclamp x4
Edgewalker x4
Auriok Steelshaper x4
Tendrils of Agony x2

Pieces d'Resistance (5)
Rotlung Reanimator x4
Scion of Darkness x1

Clerics Everywhere (20)
Soul Warden x4
Weathered Wayfarer x4
Mother of Runes x4
Benevolent Bodyguard x4
Dark Supplicant x4

The idea is that you use Edgewalker to make all your little clerics free to cast, you use Steelshaper to make the Skullclamp free to activate, and you start running through your deck as fast you can, either making a lot of Zombie Tokens as you go, or building up spells for a deadly Tendrils of Agony.

Simple fun.

M

mythosx

Vicious deck. This Idea would add more bite to most cleric decks including mine.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe he means the synergy with the cards mentioned by Reverend Love? To be honest, I'd like to see it spelled out too... :)

R

Reverend Love

Okey-dokey, here it is dudes. You’re the active player. You have in play:

3 Mountains
2 Swamps
1 Zombie Infestation
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Skullclamp

In your hand you've got:

2 Misc cards
1 Fireball
1 Firecat Blitz

1. You start by activating Zombie Infestation, discarding your 2 miscellaneous cards. Leaving you with a 2/2 Zombie token creature.

2. Using one of your swamps, you attach skullclamp to your 2/2 Zombie token. Leaving you with a 3/1 Zombie token creature.

3. You sacrifice your 3/1 Skullclamped Zombie Token creature to Ashnod's Altar. Draw two cards because of Skullclamp. Leaving you with 2 Colorless mana, 2 miscellaneous cards, 1 swamp 3 mountains untapped.

4. Activate Zombie Infestation by discarding your 2 new miscellaneous cards. Leaving you with a 2/2 Zombie token creature and 2 colorless mana.

5. Using 1 of your 2 colorless mana attach skullclamp to your 2/2 Zombie token. Leaving you with a 3/1 skullclamped Zombie token, and 1 colorless mana.

6. Repeat steps 1-5 until you've got roughly 20 colorless mana in your pool. Caste Firecatblitz for 20, 1/1 Hasted red cat tokens. Attack someone, probably ripping his or her dome off. Leaving you with 1 Untapped mana and hopefully 20 1/1 red cat tokens.

7. Sack all 20 1/1 cat tokens to your Ashnod's Altar for 40 colorless mana. Tap your remaining mountain and blast someone for 40 righteous points of love. Leaving you the remains of the Firekitty’s victim, and a small pile of dust, courtesy of a 40 point fireball.

S

Spuky

both decks look cool, but i think the cleric deck is cooler, and clean on its combo, maybe you could add some cabal therapy so you can protect you combo a little more, but still i think its really cool

M

Mikeymike

That is a clean combo.

I only see 2 potential issues with the deck:
1 - It can probably use some early game card-draw/combo searching. Getting 3 permanent combo pieces into play simultaneously isn't very easy, and I'm not sure if an early Skullclamp is enough to find what you need. Vampiric Tutors perhaps.

2 - You really need to protect those Tendrills. Vs counter the 2 will likely be stopped cold.
Orim's Chant could work quite well, but can you afford that 5th mana? Hmm, maybe Defense Grid...ah, that's probably a sideboard option.

Finally, if you needed a backup to the Tendrills, Living Death will likely win the game for you on the next turn.

H

Homestar

i think the cleric combo is better but the firecat is cooler just cuz its always fun to see someone crap their pants when you firball them for 40, i got fireballed for 70 from a combo deck (i haveno idea what a combo deck is so if someone could explain that would be great) where he sac.ed myr incubator and and then ironworks for fireball on turn 2 or 3

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Homestar, a combo deck is any deck that relies on getting certain cards out that work VERY well together and tend to kill the opponent. I cannot tell from your post what you were playing against, but it does sound like the Ironworks deck a friend of mine plays in MD5 block format...

It uses fast mana Chrome Mox, Talismans, and Pentad Prism to drop Ironworks quickly, then sacrifices things to play and activate Myr Incubator removing all the artifact lands (the only lands in the deck) and some other artifacts if necessary. Instead of the Fireball you died to, he then uses Goblin Charbelcher, or if neccessary simply attacks with the tokens. The end result is basically the same though...

I can think of a lot of examples of combo decks, many of which I've played. A rather broken example would be this one, which I posted on the CPA a while back...

4x Dream Halls
3x Intuition
3x Mind Over Matter
4x Mana Vault
3x Time Spiral
2x Paradigm Shift
4x Opportunity
4x Frantic Search
4x Stroke of Genius
4x Counterspell
4x Force of Will
4x Arcane Denial
17x Island

An opening hand might go:

Island
Mana Vault
Stroke of Genius
Island
Opportunity
Force of Will
Island

Let's say I go second. I draw a card and it's Dream Halls, drop an Island and a Mana Vault and say go. Then second turn I draw Counterspell and drop another Island and tap out to play the Halls. Then I pitch the Force of Will to play Opportunity drawing: Island, Frantic Search, Mind over Matter, and Island. I pitch Counterspell to play Frantic Search drawing Paradigm Shift and Island. I discard two Islands and gain UU as well, then pitch Shift to play MoMa and discard my two remaining Islands in my hand to untap the Mana Vault and draw mana from it, then I Stroke for 5 and draw Intuition, Mana Vault, Dream Halls, Island, and Frantic Search. I pitch Dream Halls to play Frantic Search and draw Opportunity and Dream Halls, then discard Island and Mana Vault and gain UU. Now I pitch Dream Halls to play Opportunity drawing Mana Vault, Island, Mana Vault, and Paradigm Shift. So I pitch Paradigm Shift to play Intuition and choose pick all 3 Time Spirals. So I pitch all of my other cards to draw mana from the Vault. I have 9UU and cast Time Spiral floating 5 so that I get a new hand:

Stroke of Genius
Mind over Matter
Dream Halls
Island
Frantic Search
Force of Will
Island

AND have 5UU in my mana pool after untapping my lands from the Time Spiral. At this point I have effectively won the game, since I can Frantic Search again for more mana and pitch the rest of my hand to Stroke of Genius for (counts cards after Frantic Searching on Appr.) 18 cards, easily enough to infinitely recycle my library using Paradigm Shift and Stroke of Genius to gain infinite mana and deck all of my opponents all on the 2nd turn...

Granted, tournament legal combo decks are not so viscious, but in Type I or even 1.5 some of them can still be as fast, though usually not as consistently. Combo decks have been responsible for the Type I restrictions of such cards as Dream Halls, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Memory Jar, Mind over Matter, Tolarian Academy, Burning Wish, Mind's Desire, Windfall, Doomsday, Voltaic Key, Lion's Eye Diamond, Crop Rotation, Lion's Eye Diamond, Tinker, and possibly a few others.

I don't really know what combo decks are used in Standard right now, but I do know the Ironworks deck is the favorite combo deck for MD5 block.

But basically, a combo deck is one which rather than trying to use fast cards and stomp the opponent as quickly as possible (aggro) or use defensive measures to incapacitate the opponent (control) attempts to get certain key cards into play that when combined have ridiculously powerful effects for the opponent.

Does that answer your question?

H

Homestar

yes sorta, thanks oversoul. the guy i faced had charbelchers, incubators, prisms, talismans, moxes, and stuff like that and he saced the incubator at my EoT and attacked next turn.....turn 3 kill...

T

train

Edgewalkers, Conspiracy...

and ANY colored utility creature you want...

:eek:

"Look - it's a jelly-fish cleric..." (Man-O-War)

H

Homestar

LOL!!! i like mistform ultimus cuz u can be creative...lie, squirrel zombie of an-havvaa.

T

train

that's the point...

As long as their all clerics - edgewalker is bad news...:)