Let's attack WotC!

C

Child of Gaea

I do not think there is a need to do that. Death Knight has shown that he IS capable of posting in the right manner, and I do not want to lose him as a member, I just want to get the message across that WHOEVER does this will punished. Granted, it is not much, and if he really wanted to re-register under a new sn he could, I do not think that he will, because of the fact he has been able to be mature. If he does, so be it, and it will be taken care of accordingly.

H

herald of valdemar

i think that what you did to thomas(death_){night) was really uncalled for. cuz he's my best friend, and i can vouch for him. he didn't write those messages. it's his brother. he is a total jerk, his name is eric, and he does everything that he can to get his brother kicked off of sites. just like this one. just to make his brother mad, and call himself a hacker. he thinks that just becuase he can type in thomas' password that he is a hacker. so child...i think that you should appeal thomas' ability to not post. it would really calm him down, and please myself and him. thank you
Herald

A

Apollo

Why doesn't he tell it not to set a cookie, and not let his brother know his password? His brother wouldn't be able to do anything then. Besides, it's only a week. If it really is his brother (although I find it hard to believe someone would waste their time messing with their brother's message boards), he can just change his password and solve the problem when he comes back. Don't blame Child for banning him; with all of the profanity in his posts, it was the only thing to do.

Apollo

H

herald of valdemar

he doesn't set the cookie, and he doesn't tell his brother the pass. i personally think that he has a keystroke downloader, that he sets before his bro gets on. and alot of the times, thomas edits his posts for that reason. but eric(his brother) always gets on when he comes over to my house. he usually hangs out here for like 2 to 3 weeks. so eric(being the little prick his is)screws stuff up for thomas...like this. now thomas is banned and doesn't know why. so i told him. lately i've just been reading stuff w/o posting. too lazy.

sorry about that. i didn't think too much of it

[Edited by herald of valdemar on August 1st, 2000 at 04:22 PM]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously though, none of that matters. Whether it's Thomas, his brother, or his best friend, blatant profanity cannot be allowed to continue to proliferate on the Boards. We have been advised that if the provider sees it they can kick us off of the server, and, to me, that's a more important consideration than whether Thomas is being unjustly treated. I'm sorry if he can't control his foul-mouthed brother any better than that, but if he can't there's nothing we can do about it.

I won't lose the site over it though. And I think most everyone else here feels the same way.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Totally agree with TomB.

Although can't he disable the keystroke downloader? I mean, what gets put on can get taken off.

Is it his computer or the family's? If it's his, he ought to set a password at login. If it's the family's (and maybe this sounds dorky to teenagers) maybe he ought to tell someone that the bro is abusing the computer.

Anyway, there's solutions to be had...

T

TheDevil565

TAG GUARD

Wow. Sounds like Thomas here is screwed. Did he ever consider talking to his dear brother about the fact that he doesn't appreciate the computer abuse? I know it sounds dumb but if he talks to the fellow about it I feel the situation will come closer to being solved.

(Fixed a dumb spelling error)

[Edited by TheDevil565 on August 1st, 2000 at 03:17 PM]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Although can't he disable the keystroke downloader?
Yes, you can. But if the creator was smart, it will take a little looking.

1. Look in Start->Programs->Startup for something and remove if found

2. Start->run->type in "sysedit"
2a. Look at win.ini for these and remove the reference to the keystroke recorder:
Code:
[windows]
load=
run=
3. Start->run->type in "regedit"
3a. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunServices and remove the appropriate keys.
3b. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and repeat the above process.

I dunno where else you can store startup strings.

H

herald of valdemar

okay. now ed, is there any other names it could be under?cuz i looked through my computer with a trojan while i am at my friends house right now, and i couldn't find it. but that doesn't mean it's not there. and another thing. while i'm at my freinds house(This is for everyone one here) i'm going to be posting under my friends name(herald). if thats okay? and devil, i have asked him and he denys it. and i've also asked my mom to ask him to stop, but he acts like he isn't doing anything wrong. and it is MY comp, but i never turn it off. cuz it's on the internet 24/7 downloading stuff from napster. and i dont want to lose the site either. and if i have to be punished to get that through my head, because my brother is being a jerk, then that is fine. i dont mind taking a punishment to have the whole site benefit. I love this site. it's like my 3rd home.(my other home is here at garrett's). well i gotta go guys. thank you for your comments. they have gotten it through my head that this can not be tolerated. i swear, if i see any posts with foul language then i will edit them out. that is my contribution to this site. :D

T

TheDevil565

Suppose your brother wasn't lying and he had not done a thing wrong. Could one of the admins here check and make sure the IP numbers from his posts weren't different from one another? If they are, maybe a hacker has been going out and posting as him.

(Clarified my point in the edit)

[Edited by TheDevil565 on August 1st, 2000 at 05:48 PM]

G

Griffith_se

Isn't Your IP different every time You connect to the NET? I'm not 100% sure, but I think so.

T

TheDevil565

Depends on the connection you have. On AOL, CompuServe, and other ISP's, it assign you what's called a Dynamic IP, which changes every time you sign on. But some services, like @Home, which I use, assigns a Static IP, which never changes and is always the same. So if there are two or three distinct IP numbers for the knight's accesses, you can tell multiple computers have been accessing the account. Then, it's a matter of finding out who posted what. But, if there's no distinction for any IP numbers, then it's impossible to tell. Worst case scenario: Knight didn't do anything, nor his brother, but it was an outside person, and both of them have dynamic IP's, making them impossible to track.

(Editing Note: Fixed some technoblabble)

T

The Magic Jackal

And everyone thought i was crazy when i went around shooting everyone w/ my arrows. tsk, tsk, tsk....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If your computer's on 24/7 downloading, how is your brother getting on?

If he's getting on during pauses between downloads, I'd set my screensaver to kick in after the lowest possible setting (1 min?) and password it.

I'd also search the net for more info on keystroke downloads and how to find/disable them.

It's time to get computer-savvy! :)

C

Child of Gaea

To Death Knight and anyone who thinks they need to know: I have reinstated your posting priviledges and I suggest thatif you are worried about your brother, goto edit profile and change the setting for store username and password in browser memory to no. If he knows your password, change it, and do not gie it to him again. Take note, however, that it is your responsibility for whatever posts are made under your name. If your brother posts profanity under your name it is still on you, so take the proper steps to keep it from happening. I already told you in an email that if it happens again you will be banned.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

thank you so very, very much child. and i will definitely make sure to take all precautions

D

Duel

Now that that's settled, are we still up for the charge at WOTC? We can buy a sub for only 1.5 million (seiously, that's what they're selling for. Anyone want to help me scrounge. that's be worth it!)

M

Multani

(Multani walks up to WOTC building and walks through metal detector. The guard walks up and attempts to remove all my metal items. He opens his coat, and the guard says "Holy s***!")

Now what scene and movie does this remind you of? :)
(Multani hooses the guards with his uzis.) :D