Server move, software update and other bits...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, it just seemed funny/weird for turgy22 to throw that out, coming on the heels of your posts ... he probably meant his firewall... :LOL:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Allow me to deconstruct Turgy's joke, which will make it even funnier, because that's how jokes work...

Mooseman found that he is able to use a deprecated web browser to circumvent a firewall. This presumably works because the firewall, being newer software, isn't compatible with the old browser. Turgy, noticing this, extended the same concept to an absurd extreme by expressing that the same would hold true for an extremely deprecated browser. The humor is that although the logic is sound, the idea is ridiculous for other, unstated reasons. Mooseman would not likely be running a machine that has Netscape Navigator installed. And if he did, the firewall probably wouldn't work with the browser, but the browser itself would probably be unable to display the current iteration of the CPA website properly anyway. So, in a silly and roundabout way, Turgy has poked fun at Mooseman's use of obsolete software, and done so with only four words. Such is his genius.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty funny. I actually gathered that Netscape was old and probably not in use (although you never know!) and I was actually making a semi-joke about being on the same firewall, but that didn't really come through :LOL: (need the crying tears emoji)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Allow me to deconstruct Turgy's joke, which will make it even funnier, because that's how jokes work...
Thanks, Oversoul. You certainly make it sound like I spent more than 2 seconds thinking about that joke before I typed it.

Also, it's a good thing you could come on and explain before the others spent all day thinking about what I meant. Had you not posted, I probably would have admitted that I am on the same firewall as Mooseman, since I spend most of the day stalking him and managed to steal a password to get on his work wifi and who knows what manner of confusion that would have led to.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
managed to steal a password to get on his work wifi and who knows what manner of confusion that would have led to.
My work doesn't have wifi, that's too new a technology. They are waiting to see if it will become the standard. :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Had you not posted, I probably would have admitted that I am on the same firewall as Mooseman, since I spend most of the day stalking him and managed to steal a password to get on his work wifi and who knows what manner of confusion that would have led to.
Oh no! I tried to cover for you, but then you blew it. Well, that cat's out of the bag now...

Shoe

Was thinking about resurrecting my old WOOBERG website, it was an encyclopedia of magic variant formats (if no one remembers it) I'm currently writing it using the MERN stack. Maybe a team-up is in order

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Was thinking about resurrecting my old WOOBERG website, it was an encyclopedia of magic variant formats (if no one remembers it) I'm currently writing it using the MERN stack. Maybe a team-up is in order
Is this spam of some type?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, despite what the tag says under his name, he's a fairly old-time member (early 2010s) who just recently found his way back.

Shoe

Yeah, I've been away from magic for a few years, or maybe a lot of years I guess. I used to run a website about variant formats. Been considering reposting it, but I hate web hosting.

I am sad to see the front page go, but it seems like that's how most casual writers are going. Abe Sargent is still going strong tho. Been reading him for years

i guess i should kill my banner, It's hoplessly out of date

Last edited by a moderator: