Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You arrive outside to find the wood elves gathering, awaiting something. Before you can even ask them what they're doing, you see a flying shape approach. The air around the temple crackles with magical energy and you feel intense power like nothing else. A magnificent being, flapping through the air on what look much like giant, colorful butterfly wings, her head bedecked in an ornate crown, descends in front of the kneeling crowd. This can only be Ariel, queen of the forest.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ariel speaks...

"Orion has gone to his funeral pyre. And so it falls to me to lead the Asrai in this time of peril."

The congregated elves nod solemnly. Revaethan whispers to the rest of the party...

"Don't worry. This happens every year. The King of the Woods dies every winter and is reborn in the spring. But it is unfortunate timing considering the invasion. I'm starting to suspect that someone planned this, like all those references to time in that journal we found."

Jekaena inquires...

"Journal? What journal?"

"Oh, we found it in the undercroft. I guess it was a little before we freed you."

"Where is this journal?"

"Uh, Tomas had it last, I think?"

R

rokapoke

Sigh. The summer semester has been way more hectic than I expected, since I'm teaching two classes. I'm doing my best to get back to this!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Just to move this along, I'll assume that Tomas presents the book, as he is being prompted to by the other characters anyway...

Jekaena begins rapidly scrutinizing the journal, while Ariel addresses the congregated wood elves, rallying them to prepare to rout the invaders in their realm. Thatra, the priestess who sent you into the undercroft of the temple, spots the party and moves toward you...

"Jekaena? You're alive! What happened down there?"

"Oh, hello priestess. What happened down there is that Carrow, my fellow elf of Welhallas, brought me the Sylvan Epic and also had his brave band of warriors exterminate the fiends of Nurgle that were going to poison the source of the wellwater for all of Talsyn, but I stalled them waiting for reinforcements, but I almost died and I'm a little delirious because I didn't eat or drink anything for however long it has been since the fiends broke into the undercroft but I didn't die because Carrow and his warriors saved me unlike our own troops who didn't do that, so..."

"You were down there for four days without food and water? Slow down, foolish girl. Let's have the healers look at you. That magic cane is probably the only thing keeping you from falling flat on your face! You shouldn't strain yourself..."

"I wasn't finished! So these crazy warriors deserve some sort of compensation for their bold acts of heroism that saved your ancient butt and everyone else around here for that matter. Allow me to introduce Carrow, Big Skull Warrior, Dwarf the Dwarven Warrior, Human the Hammerpriest, Thomas the Human Wizard, Human With the Spikes, and Revaethan, the saviors of Loren. I may have gotten some of those names wrong..."

The healers begin dragging Jekaena away.

"Also, they found this journal. It was written by my cousin, Coril, who has definitely gone completely insane and is going to try to kill the whole forest so we might need to stop him. Based on my cursory reading, his next move will probably be to attempt a heist of an ancient artifact of great power..."

Thatra looks worried. She turns to the party...

"I hope she'll become more coherent once she's recovered more. It appears that you've already saved the people of Talsyn by stopping the invaders from poisoning our water..."

Ariel floats toward the commotion and addresses the priestess.

"Thatra, who are these people?"

"My queen! These are adventurers that Revaethan the Wardancer brought to the temple. This is, ah, Big Skull—no, that can't be right. What do we call you fellows?"