New Phyrexia Event Decks: Spidey (Rot From Within) vs Oversoul (War of Attrition)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really see a technical explanation of the rules as condescending and I don't see problems with having reminders sometimes.
I don't see it as condescending either IF it's a single post. A double post right after each other seems VERY condescending. Like "I'll post #53 and oh wait, maybe he's too dumb to understand that so I'll post a lengthy explanation of it" *and* totally forgetting that I've played this game since the near beginning and have a fairly good grasp of the rules, having lived through the 6th Ed rules which gave birth to this site and the M10 rules which "reversed" some of it. It's the situation seen as a whole.

If you can't see it, there's not much more to say. I can't say anymore to make you see it otherwise and you certainly can't explain it any more, because I *see* what you're saying already but I'm *telling* you, that's not what came across.

Like, I don't get why you say "Poison ctrs" instead of "Psn counters" or "Psn ctrs."
If you're saying this, I frankly am baffled by what world you live in or what you have experienced. Almost every game and person I've played with or against or come across "knows" what "ctrs" means. Or Mt. Or Dmg. I would say they're "standard" in gaming but since you obviously have raised the issue, I'm not sure I can say that anymore. Sure, "Psn" would mean "poison" in that context. But in another, it could also mean "psionic" or "psion", which are admittedly rarely used in Magic. But even more importantly, it's not "standard" in general because of the confusion of what it means whereas "ctrs" is (usually) not. But like the above, without this fundamental understanding, there's no way I can explain it any more than what I have.

Shouldn't it be that I take 1 poison counter and Stoneforge Mystic becomes a 0/1?
Yes to the Mystic, but I believe there were three Insect attackers and only one was blocked so two got through. Is that correct?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't see it as condescending either IF it's a single post. A double post right after each other seems VERY condescending.
Huh. Seems like you're reading a lot into that. I've double-posted all the time just because I thought, "Wait, I wasn't finished..." and then found it easier to just make a second post (the reply box is already right there) than to go back and edit the first one. The right way would probably be to edit the first post just so it's cleaner, and while I mostly put it down to laziness on my part, it's more than just that. Not here, but several years ago on another message board with much higher traffic, I had a couple of occasions on which I wrote a post, thought, "Oh, forgot to add that..." and promptly edited my post to include just one more line that I'd forgotten to put in at first. Then someone else replied to my post, but had already quoted it as it first appeared, so their reply didn't include the bit I'd added. I was chided (jokingly, both times) for my "ninja edit." Not something likely to come up on this forum, but it might be a reason that, unless it's been a while, I don't edit my posts to add content (but just to fix spelling errors and such).

I don't want to cast myself as some sort of guru on netiquette: far from it. But this notion that a double post is a kind of veiled insult strikes me as bizarre and I don't think that it's a stance taken anywhere else by anyone.

Like "I'll post #53 and oh wait, maybe he's too dumb to understand that so I'll post a lengthy explanation of it" *and* totally forgetting that I've played this game since the near beginning and have a fairly good grasp of the rules, having lived through the 6th Ed rules which gave birth to this site and the M10 rules which "reversed" some of it. It's the situation seen as a whole.
Firstly, that was a rules digression I only proffered specifically because you expressed confusion the first time that I mentioned the discrepancy, following it up with a repetition of the very same discrepancy. You basically set it up, as far as I'm concerned. You said it the wrong (outdated) way the first time and I made a flippant comment on it, just because it caught my attention. At that point, if you'd ignored it, I might have figured that you were ignoring my flippancy and moved on. If you'd acknowledged it, I wouldn't really have anything to add. If you'd noted that you just wanted to say it that way because you were used to it, I'd probably have either just moved on or tried to make some joke about it. But saying something that indicates you didn't understand what I was getting at while referring to the old rules thing a second time? Yeah, at that point I felt like it was better to be as clear as possible. This was sort of done on the assumption that you'd either have gotten it already and just been confused at my phrasing or something, have actually been thinking of the old rules, or have just plain not thought about it, and in all of those cases a detailed description would be an easy way to show what I meant and, at worst, unnecessary. I was unaware that you found explanations of the rules degrading. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Secondly, I'm as guilty as anyone else of being confused about rules. Probably moreso. Off the top of my head, I'm still not sure how the hell Banding works after the M10 changes to combat damage. I get stuff wrong or miss stuff all the time. And I've been playing for a long time too. So no, I don't think you're dumb. I don't know what to think. Probably that if you're looking to find something insulting in the blather I post, you need to chill or something. I've never been one for subtle insults anyway. If I have a problem with a person, I don't want to be secretive about it (and on that point, no one here really comes to mind except HOUTS, and that was a while ago). But I know that if I sit down and play Magic face-to-face with some people for a few hours, at some point, a rules question or issue is going to arise. It's something that happens. And I never had the notion that someone must be dumb for it. Now I'll perpetually worry that if I ever need any sort of rules reminder, Spiderman will be quietly judging my stupidity. :rolleyes:

If you're saying this, I frankly am baffled by what world you live in or what you have experienced. Almost every game and person I've played with or against or come across "knows" what "ctrs" means. Or Mt. Or Dmg. I would say they're "standard" in gaming but since you obviously have raised the issue, I'm not sure I can say that anymore. Sure, "Psn" would mean "poison" in that context. But in another, it could also mean "psionic" or "psion", which are admittedly rarely used in Magic. But even more importantly, it's not "standard" in general because of the confusion of what it means whereas "ctrs" is (usually) not. But like the above, without this fundamental understanding, there's no way I can explain it any more than what I have.
First thing to note: I am not saying that you should not use abbreviations or that it is a problem. Nor am I saying that I can't understand them. So far, I think I've been able to elucidate all of them from context. Your abbreviations are fine and I'm not sincerely upset by them or anything like that. I usually only comment on them because I find them funny, the one exception being, well, the current line of discussion I guess. But since we're already turning this thread into partially a big tangent that isn't specific to this game being played, I'll note two other things. However, the main takeaway is that I don't really care about the abbreviations and don't want you to think that I do. If you expanded your program of abbreviations to include even more things, I might do something silly like I've already done (writing sentences with no vowels, and such), and you could safely ignore all of that and it wouldn't really matter.

Second thing: For us, it almost certainly doesn't matter. But we've both been at this for a while. In an alternate universe where the CPA had new members, I could see how abbreviations might be an issue for a less experienced player. It's not that any single abbreviation is too vague for someone to figure out from context. But there's a lot to process in these board states, and there's already some compression going on. I think I mentioned "EtB" and "ueot" as common abbreviations that most of us use. They're generally known among veterans of the Magic community, but wouldn't be immediately obvious to every single player. Same goes for using "~" for "this." Any one thing isn't such a big deal, but the more "codes" there are, the more overwhelming it becomes. I think by now I'm easily familiar with enough of this stuff that there's not going to be any sort of cognitive overload for me. Wouldn't necessarily apply for everyone, but everyone here these days is an old-timer anyway. In the past, the worry did occur to me that I might find some of your abbreviations confusing, but I don't think that it has happened or is likely to happen.

Third thing: Since we're on the subject, I don't really think that all of your abbreviations are some sort of universal gaming standard, although I'm guessing that some of them are widespread. Just guessing, I'd think that most of them are a style of abbreviation that was traditionally employed where space was at a premium. But if you're using a system that anyone else uses when it comes to exactly which words you abbreviate and which ones you do not, I'm unaware of it. I would think that it is something that comes from your background and personal preference. While I'm sure that you could devise post hoc explanations, like that "Psn" might mean "psion" while apparently no one would possibly think that "ctrs" might mean "characters" or "centers" or "couters", I'm guessing that it's really based more on what looks right to you than on some sort of exhaustive analysis of which words are least likely to be misconstrued. Nothing wrong with that. Actually, like I said, I find it interesting. I also enjoy subverting it, so maybe I'm just weird. But if I'm wrong, have you made a list? If there's a comprehensive abbreviation list, I'd like to see it!

Yes to the Mystic, but I believe there were three Insect attackers and only one was blocked so two got through. Is that correct?
Ah yes, I only saw two insects in your previous board state, but you'd already accounted for one of them dying, just not the -1/-1 to the Stoneforge Mystic. Two poison counters it is! I take it you're still done. I'll update the board once I get a chance to take my turn...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Plains, let's see...

Journey to Nowhere, exiling Stoneforge Mystic. Then I'll cast Leonin Relic-Warder and have it exile Journey to Nowhere. Stoneforge Mystic enters the battlefield, and I search my library, find Sickleslicer, and cast that. Done.

Spiderman: 16
Poison: 0
Hand: 3
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U) Forest x4

(T) Viridian Corrupter (2/2; Infect; When ~ ETB, destroy target artifact)
(T) Insect creature token (1/1; Infect.)

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Carrion Call, Primal Bellow, Mutagenic Growth
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Poison: 2
Hand: 1
Library: 42
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T) Plains x6
(T) Dread Statuary (T: C; 4: becomes a 4/2 golem artifact creature ueot.)

(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards. Equip 2.)
(U) Skinwing (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and flying. Equip 6.)
(U) Sickleslicer (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2. Equip 4.) *Equipped to Germ token*

(S) Leonin Relic-Warder(2/2; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.)
(S) Stoneforge Mystic (1/2; When it etb, it can search for an equipment for me to to put into my hand. 1W,T: I put an equipment card from my hand onto the battlefield.)
(S) Germ token (2/2) *Sickleslicered*

Graveyard: Flayer Husk, Leonin Skyhunter, Stoneforge Mystic, Porcelain Legionnaire
Exile: Journey to Nowhere *exiled by Leonin Relic-Warder*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
EOT, one more Carrion Call

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with the Insects
Responses/blocks/dmg?

Hand: 3
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U) Forest x4

(U) Viridian Corrupter (2/2; Infect; When ~ ETB, destroy target artifact)
(T,A) Insect creature token (1/1; Infect.)

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Carrion Call, Primal Bellow, Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Poison: 2
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards. Equip 2.)
(U) Sickleslicer (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2. Equip 4.) *Equipped to Germ token*

(S) Leonin Relic-Warder(2/2; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.)
(S) Stoneforge Mystic (1/2; When it etb, it can search for an equipment for me to to put into my hand. 1W,T: I put an equipment card from my hand onto the battlefield.)
(S) Germ token (2/2) *Sickleslicered*

Graveyard: Flayer Husk, Leonin Skyhunter, Stoneforge Mystic, Porcelain Legionnaire

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Groundswell the one blocked by the Mystic

Ichorclaw Myr

Done
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Forest x4

(S) Ichorclaw Myr (1/1; Infect; When ~ becomes blocked, it gets +2/+2 ueot)

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Carrion Call, Primal Bellow, Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Groundswell
Exile:

Poison: 3
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

(S) Leonin Relic-Warder(1/1 from ctr; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *1 -1/-1 ctr*
(S) Germ token (1/1 from ctr) *Sickleslicered* *1 -1/-1 ctr*

Graveyard: Flayer Husk, Leonin Skyhunter, Stoneforge Mystic, Porcelain Legionnaire, Stoneforge Mystic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'll have to wait until I get home to see what I topdeck, but this is looking bad. You already have Threshold and your graveyard is nothing but instants! Poor little cat people don't stand a chance against your swarm of venomous abominations...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Threshold? These decks don't use cards that have Threshold... at least, from what I'm looking at (well, my deck).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, there weren't any cards employing the actual Threshold mechanic in these sets. That was just a way of saying you have seven instants in your graveyard (and nothing else).

R

rokapoke

Also, Oversoul should now have 3 poison counters, right? One critter got through the blocks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Leonin Relic-Warder (exiling Ichorclaw Myr), Flayer Husk, equip Bonehoard to Relic-Warder #1, done.

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Forest x4

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Carrion Call, Primal Bellow, Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Groundswell
Exile: Ichorclaw Myr *exiled by Leonin Relic-Warder #2*

Hand: 0
Library: 41
Battlefield:

(U,U,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards. Equip 2.) *Equipped to Leonin Relic-Warder*
(U) Sickleslicer (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2. Equip 4.) *Equipped to Germ token #1*
(U) Flayer Husk (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +1/+1. Equip 2.) *Equipped to Germ token #2*

(U) Leonin Relic-Warder (5/5; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *1 -1/-1 ctr* *Bonehoarded* *exiling Journey to Nowhere*
(U) Germ token (1/1 from ctr) *Sickleslicered* *1 -1/-1 ctr*
(S) Leonin Relic-Warder (2/2; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *exiling Ichorclaw My*
(S) Germ token (1/1) *Flayer Husked*

Graveyard: Flayer Husk, Leonin Skyhunter, Stoneforge Mystic, Porcelain Legionnaire, Stoneforge Mystic
Exile: Journey to Nowhere *exiled by Leonin Relic-Warder #1*

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't the Bonehoarder granting +4/+4 now because there's four total creature cards in all graveyards? So your guy should be 6/6?

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Forest

Done

Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U) Forest x5

(U) Insect creature token (1/1; Infect.)
(U) Insect creature token (1/1; Infect.)

Battlefield:

(U,U,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

(U) Bonehoard (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards. Equip 2.) *Equipped to Leonin Relic-Warder*
(U) Sickleslicer (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +2/+2. Equip 4.) *Equipped to Germ token #1*
(U) Flayer Husk (Living Weapon; Equipped creature gets +1/+1. Equip 2.) *Equipped to Germ token #2*

(U) Leonin Relic-Warder (5/5; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *1 -1/-1 ctr* *Bonehoarded* *exiling Journey to Nowhere*
(S) Leonin Relic-Warder (2/2; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *exiling Ichorclaw My*

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Isn't the Bonehoarder granting +4/+4 now because there's four total creature cards in all graveyards? So your guy should be 6/6?
Yes, but it also has a -1/-1 counter. I know you indicated that in two different spots when you updated the board, and for the germ token that got hit by Infect, I left both of the -1/-1 counter mentions in, but on the Relic-Hoarder it was going to make the line for that creature start to get cumbersome to have something more comprehensive like "5/5, initially a 2/2, +4/+4 from Bonehoard, 1 -1/-1 counter." I was hoping that having all of the necessary information present somewhere in there and the total right would be good enough. If another format would be preferable, let me know.

Can't move on to my turn until I get home...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. I got confused and lost track of the -1/-1 counter. The total was right, but sometimes (in general, in games I've played with others), it isn't, so wanted to make sure.

I probably should have waited then for your confirmation, because I actually do want to do something during my turn if he's not 6/6. But if you don't want to rewind, that's fine, I'll just have to remember to not forge ahead next time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Woo! Thanks. So here it is:

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Forest
Putrefax
Attack with all
Responses/blocks/damage?

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Forest x5

(T,A) Viridian Corrupter (2/2; Infect; When ~ ETB, destroy target artifact)
(T,A) Putrefax (5/3; Trample, haste; Infect; At the beginning of the end step, sac ~)

Battlefield:

(U,U,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yikes! Let's see...

I'll assign Leonin Relic-Warder #1 (the 5/5 one) to block Putrefax.
I'll assign both Germ tokens to block Viridian Corrupter.
I'll assign Leonin Relic-Warder #2 (the 2/2 one) to block an Insect token.

So that should result in...

Relic-Warder #1 and Putrefax kill each other, Germ tokens and Corrupter kill each other, Relic-Warder #2 gets a -1/-1 counter and kills an Insect, I take 1 poison from the unblocked Insect, Journey to Nowhere returns to the battlefield and exiles the unblocked Insect. That leaves the only creature still on the battlefield being my unequipped Leonin-Relic Warder with a -1/-1 counter on it. Ichorclaw Myr is still exiled by the surviving Relic-Warder, and Journey to Nowhere is back on the battlefield, sitting there doing nothing now. Does that sound right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep! Board updated and it's your turn.

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Forest x5

Graveyard: Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Carrion Call, Primal Bellow, Mutagenic Growth, Carrion Call, Groundswell, Putrefax, Viridian Corrupter

Battlefield:

(U,U,T,T,T,T) Plains x6

Journey to Nowhere (doing nothing)

(S) Leonin Relic-Warder (1/1; When ~ EtB, I may exile target artifact or enchantment. When ~ LtB, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.) *exiling Ichorclaw My* *1 -1/-1 ctr*

Graveyard: Flayer Husk, Leonin Skyhunter, Stoneforge Mystic, Porcelain Legionnaire, Stoneforge Mystic, Leonin Relic-Warder
Exile: