Mirrodin Besieged Event Decks: Spidey (Into the Breach) vs Oversoul (Infect and Defile)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't have quite the start you had.

Draw 7, keep.

Mt
Memnite
Kuldotha Rebirth, sacking the Memnite

Done

Spiderman: 20
Poison: 0
Hand: 4
Library: 53
Battlefield:

(T) Mt

(S) Goblin creature token (1/1)

Graveyard: Memnite, Kuldotha Rebirth
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Hand: 5
Battlefield:
Graveyard:
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Only three creatures on the first turn in a deck based around Battle Cry? Slacker.

Draw, Island, Preordain, leave the cards where they were before drawing one, done.

Battlefield:

(T) Berg

Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Hand: 7
Library: 51
Battlefield:

(T) Insel

Graveyard: Preordain
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this happens all the time with the Commander decks I play against Mooseman. Terrible starting hands and draws in general.

Have no idea what language you're using for the lands but switching mine back :)

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Smack you for 3
Mt
Goblin Wardriver

Done
Hand: 3
Library: 52
Battlefield:

(T,T) Mt x2

(T) Goblin creature token (1/1)
(S) Goblin Wardriver] (2/2; Battle cry)

Exile:

Oversoul: 17
Hand: 7
Battlefield:

(T) Insel

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Have no idea what language you're using for the lands but switching mine back :)
German. In what language is "Mt" a word? :p

Well, I'm at work of course, but thanks to Preordain I know what my topdeck will be, so..

UUD, Island, Necropede, done.

Library: 52
Battlefield:

(T,T) Montagne x2

(S) Goblin Wardriver] (2/2; Battle cry)

Exile:

Hand: 6
Library: 50
Battlefield:

(T,T) Île

(S) Necropede (1/1; Infect, when this dies I may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.)

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ummm... abbreviations are not understandable? :rolleyes:
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with all
Responses/blocks/take it?

Battlefield:

(U,U) Mt x2

(T) Goblin creature token (2/1)
(T) Goblin Wardriver] (2/2; Battle cry)

Exile:

Battlefield:

(T,T) Île

(S) Necropede (1/1; Infect, when this dies I may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.)

Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Of course they're understandable. That's not the point!

This is the CPA, so the point is always messing with Spiderman.

I'll block the Goblin Wardriver with the Necropede.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Your Necropede bites it and you take 6

Another Wardriver

Done

Battlefield:

(T,T) Mt x2

(T) Goblin Wardriver (1/1/ from ctr; Battle cry) *1 -1/-1 ctr*
(S) Goblin Wardriver (2/2; Battle cry)

Exile:

Oversoul: 11
Battlefield:

(T,T) Île

Graveyard: Preordain, Necropede
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
When the Necropede dies, I'll use its death trigger on Goblin Wardriver (the first one, as you hadn't played the second one yet). That change anything?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Because I'd guess that you'd probably still play the second Wardriver, but I just want to make sure...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Also, your Meitnerium is subject to radioactive decay and by now would surely be other elements by now. Should I updated the board state to reflect this? :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm guessing he's gone early for President's Day weekend? Guess we'll have to wait until next week for him to kill me. I'm thinking I survive to see turn 6, but that may be overly optimistic...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think I assumed you'd target the (first) Wardriver with the Necropede's ability so I already put that in the board status. I'm still play the second Wardriver and I'm still done.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If you put it in the board status, wouldn't your first Wardriver be dead? Just like I will be soon enough...

UUD, Island, Preordain, Necropede, done.

Battlefield:

(T,T) Meitnerium x2

(S) Goblin Wardriver (2/2; Battle cry)

Graveyard: Memnite, Kuldotha Rebirth, Goblin Wardriver
Exile:

Oversoul: 11
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Island x3

Graveyard: Preordain, Necropede, Preordain
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If you put it in the board status, wouldn't your first Wardriver be dead?
Yeah, if I remembered what Infect did :) So really, what I did was apply the combat damage and not assume what creature the Necropede was targeting when it died.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Panic Spellbomb
Attack
Tap and Sac the Spellbomb to prevent the Necropede from blocking, also paying R to draw a card from the Spellbomb going to the graveyard
You take 8
Mt
Ornithopter
Kuldotha Rebirth, saccing the Ornithopter

Done

Hand: 1
Library: 49
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3

(T) Goblin Wardriver (2/2; Battle cry)
Graveyard: Memnite, Kuldotha Rebirth, Goblin Wardriver, Panic Spellbomb, Ornithopter, Kuldotha Rebirth
Exile:

Oversoul: 3
Library: 48
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Island x3

Graveyard: Preordain, Necropede, Preordain
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yep, that kills me (I know what I'm drawing next because of Preordain). I could take out your second Wardriver, but now with only 3 life, I couldn't stop the wave of goblin tokens from dealing lethal on your next turn. I was hoping to try to stabilize even though I was sure Lightning Bolt would do me in by that point, and you would very likely draw it before I could take control of the board and then kill you. Panic Spellbomb made that irrelevant, though. Good game.

Goblin Wardriver MVP.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If we'd been sideboarding, I'd probably have swapped out unnecessary high cost spells for most of the creature removal in my sideboard, but I think that Infect and Defile would still be at a disadvantage. I mean, we only played two games and that's not a large enough sample to be sure, but my impression is that Infect and Defile is built to be flexible enough to overpower most decks, but fast aggro is a weak point for it. Midrange decks would be ground out by attrition and control decks would have trouble stopping the high impact value of threats. Even tempo decks that don't get off to a fast start could have trouble with it. But against Into the Breach, it just doesn't have time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game!

Yeah, that's what I think about Infect and Defile also. Maybe it will shine better against other Event decks when we get to that point.

So I guess onto New Phyrexia Event decks now. I'll take Rot From Within.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, that leaves me with War of Attrition. I'll sleeve it up when I get home this evening. Fun bit of trivia: when the DCI wanted to ban Stoneforge Mystic in Standard they had a problem: they had put two copies of the card into this Event Deck, and the premise of Event Decks was that they were "FNM-ready." Players were supposed to be able to buy the deck, take it out of the box, and play it in Standard. It was how the product was advertised. If they were to get new players purchasing the deck, showing up to FNM, and then being told their deck was illegal, that would not be good. Their solution was to ban Stoneforge Mystic, but add an exception that the card could be played if the player was using the unmodified Event Deck.