Regional Slang

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Reading an article on slang and what region it came from ( Yinz being the most well known according to the article)
Being from Western PA, we use redup (as in ready up or clean up) and slippy as in slick or icy.
There was an interesting citation in the comments that attributed "Janky" to Will Smith and I was wondering when that happened and if it had anything to do with the MTG slang jank and janky that I have heard since the late 1990's.

Also, many of the "slang" terms seem to be less regional (Like Pop in just one area), and more like pockets of culture across the country.
Bubbler for a water fountain doesn't seem to far of a stretch, but Whoopensocker and Pinkletink, seem not just regional, but generational.

What local slang do you guys know of or have heard?
When did you first hear jank or janky being used?

R

rokapoke

You should include a link to the article.

Also, Pittsburghers call rubber bands "gumbands," and that's just messed up.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Alteration and partial translation of German Gummiband, rubber band : Gummi, rubber, gum;

I think the article was on NPR's site, but I'm not sure.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I definitely saw/heard cards called "jank" in the late 1990's. Looking at dictionaries, it seems that lexicographers consider it to be a probable back-formation from "janky" and/or a deliberate corruption of "junk." My sources indicate that "janky" goes back to at least the early 1990's in African-American slang, but "jank" by itself seems to have become popular primarily through gaming slang, possibly starting with Magic. One of the OED's sample usage quotes from the time is...

1997 Tournament Rep. Madness (Edison, NJ) in rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (Usenet newsgroup) 24 Nov. He plays second-turn... Freewind Falcon. Now that just blows. I think Freewind Falcon is jank.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The citation referring to Will Smith didn't have a source?

I think "pop" (for soda, right?) is regional, I've always heard it in the north or south or people coming from those areas (I forget which).

R

rokapoke

I think "pop" (for soda, right?) is regional, I've always heard it in the north or south or people coming from those areas (I forget which).
Having moved from eastern Pennsylvania to Ohio about 5 years ago, I can tell you that the soda/pop debate is highly regional. You can find all sorts of maps and such online; if you trust Wikipedia, here's a relevant entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_soft_drinks_in_the_United_States.

As a firm believer in the term "soda," I make sure to correct my midwestern brethren at every available opportunity.

And since my brother lives in Atlanta, whenever we go to visit we have to be very careful to specify which kind of Coke we want, as they say neither "soda" nor "pop," just "Coke."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
As a firm believer in the term "soda," I make sure to correct my midwestern brethren at every available opportunity.
Typical Philadelphian, telling everyone else he's right...... (we all know everyone from Eastern Pa, is just a Flyers fan) :D;)
BTW - it's called soda pop, so either is correct or wrong. It's never just Coke, that is so wrong, but they are from Georgia, so it's expected.

R

rokapoke

Typical Philadelphian, telling everyone else he's right...... (we all know everyone from Eastern Pa, is just a Flyers fan) :D;)
Philadelphian? No sir. I'm from Reading, about 45 minutes west of Philly.

Flyers fan? That is an insult!

R

rokapoke

Reading? Everyone knows the eastern side of PA is just suburbs of Philly..... :D
Careful with those slurs... I think you'll find that most eastern PA residents think of Pennsylvania composed of two quantities: Philadelphia and Pennsyltucky. ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ooh, I like it. This thread is now officially about Pennsylvania intrastate rivalry. Continue...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Careful with those slurs... I think you'll find that most eastern PA residents think of Pennsylvania composed of two quantities: Philadelphia and Pennsyltucky. ;)
And most Western Pa'ers feel there is Pittsburgh and Pencil-necked geeks (formerly known as Cryers fans....... he ha ha ha)

Spidey, we are joking here..... no battle.

Also, we are using slang terms that go right with the thread.

"For bonus points, who made famous the term pencil neck geek"