The Comboist Manifesto Discussion Thread

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey, I should have sent you two different emails with the next article. Use the second one. The first one cut off the ends of some of my words or something. The second one should be fixed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
New article was submitted early this morning my time zone. Let me know if I need to resubmit it.

T

Terentius

Sweet, I got mentioned! I thought the article was great; both technically informative without lacking context, and explaining the historical background was a nice touch. The bit about Forecast was cool too. And most importantly, I now know what makes Dredge good; it's like reanimation with fries and a drink. The one complaint I have is the lack of card images; is it possible to lay out the images both horizontally and vertically? That would give you three times as much space.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Thanks for the feedback, Terentius!

I don't know of a way to make the layout better with the CPA's article submission form. I agree that if I could get a row of three or so card images, that would be an improvement. Does anyone know more about this?

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm sure there's a way to do it in the code. HTML would be relatively simple, but I think the front page uses a form of uBB (or whatever it's called), and I'm not as familiar with how to work that.

An obvious work-around would be to cut and paste the individual card images into a one image file (you can do this using MS Paint), host that image somewhere and then link it normally.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You'd have to ask Ed for sure, but I doubt you can do it with the img tags as it currently stands. And he's said to me that it's all old code anyway and he's inclined to leave it as is rather than re-work it; he's surprised it's actually still working.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No new article this week, unfortunately. I wanted to try to avoid having another two-week hiatus, but I'm going to be out of town all week.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I managed to find enough time to finish my Khans of Tarkir review and I sent it to Spiderman this morning. I probably won't be around for the rest of this week, though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, sorry, I got it, just a combination of being busy and forgetting about it :rolleyes:. I'll get it up today.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ha, I managed to send you a second article before the first one was published! It's almost like I'm ahead of schedule (only not really).

T

Terentius

For these articles where you review whole sets, I wouldn't mind if you somehow marked the cards you liked best (perhaps with asterisks or bold font), so they could be picked out from the wall of text.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
For these articles where you review whole sets, I wouldn't mind if you somehow marked the cards you liked best (perhaps with asterisks or bold font), so they could be picked out from the wall of text.
Maybe images would be better for that. Or it could be some combination of things. Isolating personal favorites would probably be a good way to improve the set reviews. I'm still toying with how to make them have meaningful, comprehensive content without making them too long and repetitive. I'll keep it in mind for Fate Reforged.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
New article submitted. I know it took forever. I had something planned for November that wouldn't take much time, so that I could use the time for NaNoWriMo, but I ended up scrapping that project and failing to finish NaNoWriMo. I started over on writing a new article, but it took longer than I meant for it to. Well, it's ready now!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Resubmitted article because it's been a while and I think Spidey forgot about it. Also, I noticed a few typos and that Gmail does some arcane formatting thing that my primitive brain couldn't possibly understand, but I tried to excise all of the extraneous line breaks, which were added to the emailed version of the article without my permission.

Note that even though we're well into the new year, the article currently in the queue is the final article of Volume I, as it was intended to be an article for December. Volume II will start with the article after that, which I'm about to start writing any minute now...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hey everyone, he remembered! That means a new article. I wasn't really planning to close out Volume I with a Duel Decks review, but I'm happy with it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Submitted a new article. I actually wrote this before I even submitted the previous article, but embarrassingly enough, this time I was the one to forget about it.

T

Terentius

Hey everyone, he remembered! That means a new article. I wasn't really planning to close out Volume I with a Duel Decks review, but I'm happy with it.
I drew pretty much the same conclusions you described in your article. Although for me, I'd say Tezzeret won closer to 80% of the matches against Elspeth.