Magic Online Winning Vintage Championship Deck

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, Workshop decks have been good for about a thousand years now, give or take. So I guess there's nothing surprising about the deck itself. Maybe Magic Online will breathe some life into the corpse of Vintage?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Are the Online cards just as expensive as their paper counterparts?
Nope. Someone who actually plays MTGO could give a better answer, but from what I've heard, online cards tend to be considerably cheaper than their physical counterparts.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Workshop used to be restricted, and when it was removed Workshop decks dominated vintage for a good long while and thier response was to restrict trinisphere. Trinisphere wasn't really even a problem until 4X workshop was available IMHO. I like the card, used to own one, but i recently sold it.
You may be misremembering how this worked. Mishra's Workshop was unrestricted in Classic (which later became Vintage) back in 1997. From there, it gradually became a powerhouse as players found more tools to make it work. Workshop decks ran rampant in Vintage years before Trinisphere existed. Once Trinisphere was printed, it did get added to Workshop decks. While exhaustive tournament data for this era isn't available, it's generally the case the Workshop decks continued to be good following the introduction of Trinisphere. They certainly didn't get worse. However, their competition also became stronger, and this was an era that saw the advent of some pretty powerful Vintage archetypes. So Workshop decks, while very good, didn't take over the format. Wizards of the Coast restricted Trinisphere because it supposedly made the game less fun. They talked about how they'd gotten many complaints about the card. This decision was controversial because many players believed that cards should only be restricted if they resulted in dominant decks. There was some debate over whether the DCI should only ban or restrict cards if they put up numbers to show how dominant they are, or whether the manner in which the cards play is undesirable to enough people. I was pretty outspoken about this myself at the time. Although I do still believe that it was a bad restriction, my reasoning has changed somewhat since 2005. At the time, many Vintage players portrayed the restriction as something new that could signal an unwanted change to the way that cards were restricted. Knowing what I do now, I think that this restriction was actually part of a larger trend that had already been established.