It's guaranteed to be terrible...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Worst case, they can sell the franchise to SyFy. I'd watch Giant Caterpillar vs. Megatog, starring James Van Der Beek, Lindsay Lohan, and Alex Winter as the voice of Hovermyr.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Worst case, they can sell the franchise to SyFy. I'd watch Giant Caterpillar vs. Megatog, starring James Van Der Beek, Lindsay Lohan, and Alex Winter as the voice of Hovermyr.
They could sell it to The Asylum. Chandra summons a Flaming Sharknado to fight against Jace.

turgy22

Nothing Special
One step closer: A Game of Thrones writer is reported to be working on the script.

Bad news: everyone dies.
Good news: Akroma shows her boobs.

This also reminds me of a thought I had. Wouldn't MTG work so much better as a TV show than a movie? I feel like there's so much involved that the writers will try to cram in too much too fast. A TV show is easier to stretch out and much more likely to survive a few bad episodes than a movie franchise is to survive one bad film.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One step closer: A Game of Thrones writer is reported to be working on the script.
I haven't seen it, and I understand that they make some changes, but it's supposedly pretty close to the books. Being a "writer" for such a venture seems like a dubious accomplishment. I too can use copy and paste. Let me write this.

Bad news: everyone dies.
Major characters in the books, the ones that get multiple chapters written from their points of view, have a pretty good survival rate. But maybe that doesn't come across in the show.

Good news: Akroma shows her boobs.
Try to read the books they came out with in the early 00's. Even though I'm a fan of the cards in Onslaught block, the writing was surprisingly bad, even by Magic standards. If we're going to get boobs, they'll probably be Chandra's.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Unfortuanetly a TV show doesn't have the budget that a movie does. GOT costs about 60 to 90 million per season and that is not that much more for a 2 hour movie.
Even her b00bs won't save the movie, it will be an expensive Dongeon and Dragons movie... :eek:

T

Terentius

I hope they lead off with the Urza Saga, as most people agree that is the greatest storyline in Magic. Ravnica, the second-largest but much more recent storyline, wouldn't make for a great start to the series I don't think.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I hope they lead off with the Urza Saga, as most people agree that is the greatest storyline in Magic.
I don't know why you'd think most people agree on that. Urza's Saga came out not too long after I started playing Magic, right around the time I'd finally gotten some grasp of the game and was really getting into it. It's a set I have special fondness for. But I don't know that even I would agree that it is the greatest storyline in Magic.

I suspect that the answer varies depending on which medium is emphasized. The most direct way that we get exposed to storylines is through the cards themselves, but that part of the story is always incomplete. The next most direct outlet for lore is material released by WotC that comes packaged with other product, such as the booklets that come in fat packs and such. But there have also been other outlets: comic books, The Duelist, official webcomics, computer games, short stories, and novels.

I used to read the novels, but I haven't in many years. There seemed to be a pretty severe drop in quality in the early 00's, and I lost interest, deciding that the newer books couldn't measure up to the older ones. I used to think that this was because Wizards of the Coast had previously recruited an eclectic mix of established authors and new talent to write stories set in their world, but then they shifted to a more formulaic novelization of the sketched out storylines they were devising for new sets under the block system. While that did change things, in retrospect most of my impression of a drop in quality could be attributed to a single author. Maybe the set-derived novels turned out to be fine on the whole. I don't know.

The Urza's Saga storyline was part of the vast Dominaria/Weatherlight/Yawgmoth/Legacy/etc. epic, which wouldn't really translate well into movies. Also, Wizards of the Coast has an obvious stake in not promoting prerevisionist lore over the newer stuff. Even in some fantasy scenario in which they're able to create successful movies or a TV series, leading with anything prerevisionist seems highly unlikely. Also, some of the playerbase from when those stories were new has left and isn't coming back, while the overall size of the playerbase has increased dramatically. Yeah, I grew up with Urza and Mishra, but that's me. Jace and Chandra are way more famous now.

T

Terentius

The Urza's Saga storyline was part of the vast Dominaria/Weatherlight/Yawgmoth/Legacy/etc. epic, which wouldn't really translate well into movies. Also, Wizards of the Coast has an obvious stake in not promoting prerevisionist lore over the newer stuff. Even in some fantasy scenario in which they're able to create successful movies or a TV series, leading with anything prerevisionist seems highly unlikely. Also, some of the playerbase from when those stories were new has left and isn't coming back, while the overall size of the playerbase has increased dramatically. Yeah, I grew up with Urza and Mishra, but that's me. Jace and Chandra are way more famous now.
This is all true, and if the movies were to focus on just the planeswalkers, that's a different story. I'd love to see Chandra's origin or to follow Liliana's trail. But telling the events of Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, or Theros? I cannot imagine a scenario where those come out as anything other than a bland fantasy movie that no one outside of Magic will find interesting.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
This is all true, and if the movies were to focus on just the planeswalkers, that's a different story. I'd love to see Chandra's origin or to follow Liliana's trail. But telling the events of Zendikar, Innistrad, Ravnica, or Theros? I cannot imagine a scenario where those come out as anything other than a bland fantasy movie that no one outside of Magic will find interesting.
And that is the hurdle they would have to overcome, how to make a magic movie that appeals to the hordes, but is palatable to the millions of magic players that follow the storylines.