Sliver Deck I Traded For...and it's Standard-legal, technically.

W

WickedBoy6

So, at the pre-release, some kid had a Sliver deck he wanted to trade away - not just the Rares, the entire thing! - so I traded 4 rares I didn't care about, plus a Temple of Enlightenment which was the only one I was hesitant about, for this Sliver deck:

Creature (35)
3x Battle Sliver
1x Blur Sliver
3x Bonescythe Sliver
1x Galerider Sliver
4x Manaweft Sliver
2x Megantic Sliver
4x Predatory Sliver
4x Sentinel Sliver
4x Sliver Construct
2x Steelform Sliver
4x Striking Sliver
1x Syphon Sliver
2x Thorncaster Sliver

Sorcery (5)
1x Diabolic Tutor
4x Hive Stirrings

Land (20)
5x Forest
3x Island
5x Mountain
4x Plains
3x Swamp

Bonescythes are all DotP 2014 promos, and the Megantics are 2014 Promo foils. It seems fine, as this seemed to be the Sliver build I've always wanted - I was a fan of Slivers since Tempest block - but I think this deck could use some help. The mana curve seems way out of whack for something that only has a blue and two black. Maybe cut some Swamp and Island for Shimmering Grotto for better fixing. Any Slivers to be cut for other slivers? I wouldn't mind more copies of the good ones (Bonescythe/Thorncaster/Megantic).

C

Child of Gaea

I need to learn the newish slivers. Crystalline and The Queen? Or I suppose those are not standard legal. Ive got tons of the old ones and none of the new!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, this really depends on whether you want to keep it Standard-legal. M14 added some pretty impressive new slivers to the game, but older sets still have some that can't be replaced.

W

WickedBoy6

A part of me wanted to keep it Standard, i.e. 2014. Once I have to rotate out of it, I'll try to Sliver Commander it.

Quick overview:
Battle gives +2/+2
Blur gives Haste
Bonescythe gives Double Strike
Galerider gives Flying
Manaweft gives "Tap to add 1 of any color mana"
Megantic gives +3/+3
Predatory gives +1/+1
Sentinel gives Vigilance
Sliver Construct is a plain 2/2 artifact
Steelform gives +0/+1
Striking gives First Strike
Syphon gives Lifelink
Thorncaster adds "When it attacks, deals 1 damage to anything"

Obviously, Bonescythe and Thorncaster are the ones that wreck shit up. Galerider can be fine, but Megantic - as good as the bonus is - is a 6-drop. I guess that's why he added so many Manawefts. Hive Stirrings add two 1/1 Slivers for 3, which is decent enough. I'm thinking of cutting the Constructs for more of the lower-count copies, and maybe some of the extra lands - 3 Islands for one one-drop? - for some Shimmering Grottos.

Again, gonna try to keep it all M14 and Standard until 2015 comes out, then it's Sliver Commander time!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In that case, my first suggestion would be to go Naya (W/R/G). What you gain in stability by going from five colors down to three more than makes up for what you lose by cutting blue and black.

W

WickedBoy6

True. I mean, yeah, Flying is nice, and the Diabolic Tutor could help, but it is VERY limited, since there's 1 of each. So, that would cut 2 Slivers, a spell, and 6 land. Add in Shimmering Grottos, possibly more Slivers of the smaller count, and maybe Garruk? Granted, it's not a Sliver, but it can get some of them in my hand?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mutavault might be nice, and is in M14. Looking at the whopping 35 slivers, I'd probably trim the creature count down in favor of some instants or something, for utility.

W

WickedBoy6

You...do realize how expensive Mutavault is, right? :p

Probably right about the trimming. Nix the Constructs, the Galerider, the Syphon, and the Tutor, that gives me 7 slots.

W

WickedBoy6

Mooseman said:
Unknown Shores does the Grotto thing and it's from Theros
I know, but for some weird humerous reason, I wanted to keep this M14.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Just remember: if you play a five-color commander deck, you're playing the Hermit Druid deck and everyone should try to kill you as quickly as possible.

W

WickedBoy6

Did you do this? Where's it at? I'd like to compare mine.
Right here

Granted, this is kind of an old build, and I deconstructed it to make my God Tribal deck - then deconstructed that back to Slivers - so the list is a bit different. Maybe 5 to 8 cards. I'll update it soon.

T

Terentius

Right here

Granted, this is kind of an old build, and I deconstructed it to make my God Tribal deck - then deconstructed that back to Slivers - so the list is a bit different. Maybe 5 to 8 cards. I'll update it soon.

I'm way late, but I finally got mine up on tappedout: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/slibbers-3/

I have all 4 Super Slivers, but my Queen is the oversized card, so I'm using that as the Commander. I could just drop the Queen entirely, and shift Overlord to Commander and use Amoeboid Changeling. Either way, the deck is just play Slivers, sick noncreature spells, and things that get more Slivers.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Anyway, Sliver Queen has a special place in my heart. But really, like a touched on in the "Magic Memories" thread about it, Sliver Overlord's power in a dedicated slivers deck is crazy. No reason to use Sliver Queen as commander over Sliver Overlord except style points or if you have a deck focused on infinite combos. Hm, maybe it would also be the right commander if you wanted a five-color tokens deck, although I haven't seen such a thing. Still, style points are reason enough, I'd think.