Poll: How Many Decks Currently Hold a Permanent Spot in Your Arsenal?

How many decks currently hold a permanent spot in your arsenal?

• Total voters
T

Terentius

By this I mean how many completed decks do you keep on hand that are not typically candidates for dismantlement. Casual or competitive.

EDIT: This question came about from a session I had with one of my playgroups recently. A friend commented on how many decks I brought, relating that he doesn't like to keep that many on hand (four at most) so he can have a higher density of stronger cards in his decks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Having discovered the Duel Decks I inherited from a friend's collection and reassembled them, I could see them holding a permanent spot in my arsenal. They're meant to be played against each other, so I like the idea of keeping them around for playing them against each other or letting other people try them out. They all have the same expansion symbols for each set, so the cards belong together. And preconstructed Commander decks, Duel Decks consist entirely of reprints, so I probably won't be as likely to scrap them for parts. There's no "must have Toxic Deluge in my sideboard" factor, if that makes any sense.

But I wasn't really counting precons when I answered the survey. And none of the decks I've built are so sacred that I couldn't dismantle them if I really needed the cards for a different deck. After all, I can always go back later and rebuild my favorites. However, there was one deck that survived when I took apart my other decks: I've had a monored Burn deck since 1999 or so. It's a lot different from when I first built it, although it does still contain mountains, Lightning Bolt, and Fireblast. I might have to take fetchlands from it or something, but the deck is generally pretty safe. I'm attached to it just because it was the deck that happened to survive from back in the day, so part of it's nostalgia. Also, many of the cards just wouldn't be that useful in other decks.

T

Terentius

Hmm. I hold quite a few of my decks sacred, but for the most part I have far less valuable cards than you.

R

rokapoke

I would have to dust off my "arsenal" to even answer this question. So I have no idea.

I sold all of my cards except a handful of decks several years ago, and haven't been convinced to buy cards since. Of course, I have no real outlets for playing with real cards -- the times I met up with Ransac and Mooseman (once each in the past 3-4 years) notwithstanding.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hmm. I hold quite a few of my decks sacred, but for the most part I have far less valuable cards than you.
Maybe, but I can't really take credit for that. I didn't buy that many cards when I was younger, but I started a long time ago and kept my cards, so some of them that weren't expensive would later become expensive. I have two younger brothers that at different points had small collections and gave them to me. I pooled my cards with my best friend's cards because we wanted to collaborate and build Legacy decks. I took some of my decks apart before that, but I think he was the one to dismantle most of my old decks. I think he bought a couple of other people out of their collections too. I was busy with other things, so he did our deckbuilding for those years, I just occasionally played with what he'd come up with. He also sold or traded some of my cards to acquire cards that would better suit Legacy at the time, which I regretted somewhat for a while after I found out (it was a mixed bag: he traded away all but one of my Morphlings before they lost too much of their appeal as the game evolved, but he also sold all of my Sliver Queens, which I wanted because I really liked slivers conceptually, not because I wanted to use them in a tournament deck). We were roommates for a year or so and we'd kept communal card collection in my room, so I moved it with my things when we both left, and he declared the cards to be mine, even though he'd clearly put a lot into the collection over the years. I've bought some cards since then to further develop decks I'm interested in, but a whole lot of my "valuable" cards were basically inherited.

I do sometimes wish I still had my old decks. I kept a blue bounce-based deck for almost ten years, but it's gone. I played various Necropotence-based decks more than any other type of deck I've ever had, but I no longer have a single Necro deck. There were others. I almost always had some Pestilence deck, which was black/white, black/red, and monoblack at various stages. I remember Septic Tank (a Megrim deck that I named after, well, it's a long story), a High Tide deck, a red green combo-filled quasi-aggro deck, a Rabid Wombat deck, monoblue control, black/red land destruction, various Yawgmoth's Bargain combo decks, a Hecatomb deck, a Land's Edge deck, some blue aggro-control thing based around tapping things, monobrown rampy shenanigans, a poison-counter deck, a sort of proto-Esper Highlander deck back before Highlander formats were even a thing outside Seattle, and yeah, at some point I must have thought that I had several decks that I'd keep around "permanently." The only ones that have survived since the last time I moved have been Burn and a Fluctuator deck. The Burn deck is at least 13 years old. The Fluctuator deck is probably 8 or 9 years old, but I'd totally take it apart if I wanted the cards for something else. However, that seems unlikely. I'm not exactly desperate to include Bloated Toad in most of my decks. So with that in mind, I chose the option for 1 to 3. It's either just Burn, or it's Burn and Fluctuator.

I just noticed that there's no option to choose 0. I wonder if that fits anyone here...

T

Terentius

I just noticed that there's no option to choose 0. I wonder if that fits anyone here...

Yeah, short-sighted on my part. One could perpetually break down and reconstruct decks from their collection, or never own any physical cards.

Killer Joe

I have a log of my decks since 2001 and when a deck has had its run and I'm ready to disassemble it I write it down (yes, with paper and pencil). I've got 52 of them written down but some are just variations of others.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, short-sighted on my part. One could perpetually break down and reconstruct decks from their collection, or never own any physical cards.
I've heard rumors about players with too much money who only play limited formats, but I don't think I've personally met such people.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm like KJ; I have decks about a decade old from when I last played in real life, but I have also written some down so I can put them back together if need be. Of course, if I ever did, they'd probably be woefully outdated with all of the cards that have come out since...

W

WickedBoy6

I have 8: My Bosh Commander, my burn deck that I've had in some form of existence since 1998, a "Greenie" deck I'm working on, Black/Red Vampires that I might make take mono - not sure which color - and four out of the five current Commander products. I'll give you one guess on which one I don't have.

I also have Sorin vs. Tibalt, Heroes vs. Monsters, and Jace vs. Vraska unaltered I carry with me, so technically, 14 - 16 if you count Face the Hydra/Horde, as well - but those I'll probably end up deconstructing as I play them against one another as time goes on.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I have a lot of decks, but I doubt everyone would count them as "decks". I have most of the World Championships decks, and those alone push me over 13 decks. However, these are not legal, so YMMV. It's great to have those though, and I'm very sad it was discontinued. I do have a couple of regular precons, but I think most of those'll miss a card or two. I have all five Commander precons from 2011. Besides the UBG deck (which I turned into another deck) I have these sleeved and in a Dragon Shield deckbox, ready to play. In addition to that I have three regular Commander decks. I had a couple of Legacy decks, but I quit Legacy after some bannings. I do have Elves combo sleeved and ready to go (although nowadays every list runs 4 Gaea's Cradle, and I have only one), and I'll rebuild a Legacy-legal Reanimator deck somewhere in the near future (but it's not a deck atm, so it doesn't count). As for other decks, there's a B/G multiplayer deck that's missing half it's cards, and of course my Varchild's War-riders deck.

The sad story is that I have more decks than nights to play Magic. I do have a deck on Magic Online which I play from time to time, but I don't like the new client.

my burn deck that I've had in some form of existence since 1998
Funny. One of my commander decks is the spiritual successor to my R/G Stormbind deck that has been around since '95 or so. It morphed into R/G Survival, Ulasht EDH, Rith EDH and will soon become Marath EDH. Of course in EDH you only use singletons, so I had a 60 card-deck that was missing some stuff like a Taiga, Survival of the Fittest and Wall of Blossoms (which went into the Ulasht deck). 1.5 year ago I sold most of the Legacy staples and desleeved the deck. That was a very weird experience.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have the Sleigh deck from around 1997-98 that I made for my son to play in the Junior Super Series.
I have a counter producing Elf deck with Triskelions, a Vampire deck, an Upevil blue random deck, a Black life loss deck, and many other 10 minute build decks.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I have 16 real-life decks that I never pull apart. This might be due to the fact that I never play, thus having no need to pull apart and rebuild decks, but it might also be because I like all the decks and if I did still play, would rather tweak them with new cards rather than pull them apart and scatter the cards around. Also, while I enjoy the deck-building process, I hate physically sifting through cards and reordering cards from dismantled decks (either putting them back in a box or a binder; and they MUST be in order or else it makes it even harder to find the card you're looking for the next time.) About 10 years ago, I made the jump almost exclusively to MTGO for deck building (which never requires the rebuilding of decks) and enjoyed it much more, but that comes with the downside of rarely finding an opponent with a comparable deck in the format you want to play. Which led me to play almost exclusively limited games (which even the playing field), but I don't have too much money and I'm not good enough to keep winning to generate new packs, so I ended up dropping from that, too. (Not to start another rant, since I've ranted about this many times in the past, but will they ever bring back leagues? It's the perfect format for someone who wants readily available matches against players with comparable decks who wants to get value out of the games they play.) At any rate, it turns out the best Magic interface is playing through a message board of like-minded folks. There's no cost, the competition is friendly, and someone's always willing to take up a game of any format you have in mind. Just don't play Oversoul in tribal.

I'm sorry. What was this thread about?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Wizards is claiming they'll bring back leagues for about two years now. At first they were waiting for the new client, and I guess they're waiting for the new client to be playable now. It's true that finding someone for tribal or something is easy, and if you go tribal you're pretty much guaranteed a casual match.

N

Nightstalkers

Still searching for that ridiculous combo deck to stump people into not playing with me anymore.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like to mix up my decks with some frequency, but I always keep my BUG commander deck together.

Ransac, cpa trash man