It's guaranteed to be terrible...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It will make the Dragonlance cartoon look like Star Wars.........
Who thinks this will turn out good?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This isn't the first time they were supposedly going to make a movie based on Magic. I'll believe it when they actually make the movie.

Well, I also predict that if this does actually get made, it will be a bad movie. That makes three of us so far...

...but are the reasons that I suspect it will suck the same as the reasons that you suspect it will suck?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I'll have to see if WOTC has a similiar announcement.

I can't even make a prediction on what it should be, but what comes to my head, if they want vast battles ala Lord of the Rings, I'm thinking reaching back to Urza and Mishra's war with each other. Or Lim-Dul's war in Ice Age.

Although from the story shorts of Theros the past month, apparently there's plenty of battles there too. So who knows....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't find anything on WOTC as of 8:45 AM, did a Google search, lots of similiar blub announcements from various sites, but of course, short on detail. They did say they want to "franchise" the movie like Harry Potter and LoTR, so I'm guessing they're hoping to make several, depending on how the first does, of course.

R

rokapoke

They did say they want to "franchise" the movie like Harry Potter and LoTR, so I'm guessing they're hoping to make several, depending on how the first does, of course.
Of course, "The Golden Compass" was supposed to be the first of a series. Similarly, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" was supposed to be the first of (presumably) seven movies, and I think they stopped at three (still haven't seen the third). "Green Lantern" was set up for a sequel that doesn't appear imminent. So I definitely agree that 'hoping' is an appropriate characterization.

That said, both Incredible Hulk movies that have been made since comic movies became super-mainstream (2003 with Eric Bana and 2008 with Edward Norton) were terrible but that didn't prevent his inclusion (and maintained continuity, if I'm not mistaken) in "The Avengers." I guess anything's possible in Hollywood. For instance, the people that made the Twilight movies still probably get work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember reading about the Narnia movies and so just looked it up on wikipedia to refresh my memory; the films underwent production issues (Disney didn't want to do the third one) and having to get replacements, budget issues, and the CS Lewis Estate having disagreements with said companies. That said, the fourth, The Silver Chair, is slated to be next and should be filming soon.

I think one "rush" to get the first three movies out is that the actors for Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy needed to be around the same age for all of them. Even though they appear in later books (Horse and his Boy and Last Battle), they could get away with being older. I think they're doing the Silver Chair now because they need the actor playing Eustace to seem the same (assuming they'll still use him).

One "weird" thing about Avengers/Capt America is that the actor was the same one who played Johnny Storm in the FF films. If they ever revisit those films, I'm guessing he will have to be re-cast...

R

rokapoke

One "weird" thing about Avengers/Capt America is that the actor was the same one who played Johnny Storm in the FF films. If they ever revisit those films, I'm guessing he will have to be re-cast...
Not to defend the Fantastic Four movies -- they're mediocre at best, in my eyes -- but I think that Chris Evans (the actor in question) was better as the Human Torch than he was as Captain America. He just plays "pompous ass" better than he plays "humble soldier." At least, that's my opinion. That said, as long as Marvel keeps FF/Avengers as separate entities, there won't be an issue.

Also, the Captain America movie wasn't that great. Not cover-your-eyes awful, but not particularly good. I mean, it's no "Oz the Great and Powerful," but it's certainly not a great movie, either.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, he was in some teen comedy/parody and was good at that. I can see Marvel combining them at some point though, some super superhero extravaganza. Heck, I saw they were developing Guardians of The Galaxy or something... I didn't know it had that much of a "following" to warrant a movie. :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Of course, "The Golden Compass" was supposed to be the first of a series.
In that case, Philip Pullman was actually hoping they would finish the series. He was never very clear on why. Maybe he just didn't care how much the movies would deviate from the books if it meant more people would be exposed to the series. Presumably some people read the books after seeing the first movie, although I haven't seen any accounts of that. I wonder how those people reacted...

R

rokapoke

Presumably some people read the books after seeing the first movie, although I haven't seen any accounts of that. I wonder how those people reacted...
I'm among that group. I'd like to see more movies made from it, even though there was some deviation. I'm pretty sure the anti-church vibe crushed the movie, ultimately. Even though they tried to mask it (well, maybe 'tried' is too generous).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aas usual, the Golden Compass wiki provides clues... :)

Lots of reasons, mainly and officially it seems any sequels were dependent on how the first did, which wasn't very well in the US but well overseas. There did seem to be protests from religious groups which may have caused the US reception to be less than expected. Differences in script and director's direction/vision on how the sequels should be seem to have been a part of it also.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Um, that was my first, but my intent was that such pages usually say why sequels will or will not be made. :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
I saw the Golden Compass, but don't remember much from it. In fact, I often confuse it with those Coke commercials featuring the polar bears.

Anyway, they already made a Magic the Gathering movie. It was called "Aladdin" and wasn't half-bad.