Software for building and playing decks

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's been a while since I've played Magic in the games run board here. I used to always use Apprentice, but then the number of cards in the game became big enough that the program could no longer cope, and the volunteers that were updating it gave up. So I switched to Cockatrice, a potential successor to Apprentice. Cockatrice is, at least temporarily, shut down due to a lawsuit by a German branch of Hasbro.

Apprentice is being relaunched, and I've downloaded the beta version of the new Apprentice. I'm testing it presently, and it seems like a suitable replacement. Just thought I'd share that: http://apprentice.nu/

What other options are people using? Magic Workstation still a thing? And I seem to remember that someone set up an Excel file for handling draws, but I forget the details...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have an excel macro for shuffling and ahuffling ren=mainer of your deck. It also draws the cards for you, but you have to load the cards and information yourself.
I can email it to people if you ar einterested.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't been keeping track of Cockatrice or any new Apprentice news, so that's interesting to know. I'll have to remember to check it out later.

I don't know anything about Magic Workstation, although I thought it wasn't free. I can't remember if Magic Suitcase v8 offers a deck capability, although I think v7 does.

I've been using the excel spreadsheet for all of my games now, but entering the cards is a slight annoyance :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I've been using the excel spreadsheet for all of my games now, but entering the cards is a slight annoyance :)
Well, If you email me all those files of cards for the suitcase updates you do, Id make a simple excel data page and a macro to load them into the deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They're in Microsoft Access. Each expansion set from the Suitcase Files page is what I upload to the Yahoo group, so you can grab them from there and "do your thing".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They used to be excel, when there was Sortable Spoilers, and someone converted it to Access, but then somone on the Suitcase team developed a way to pull the data from Gatherer directly into Access. Maybe you can "reverse engineer" the Access back into an Excel.