ArchEnemy

D

DarthFerret

Actually sound pretty interesting. Will have to see how balanced it really is.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If what they're showing of those scheme cards is pretty representative, I wonder if it wouldn't normally take at least three players to beat the tyrant or whatever.

D

DarthFerret

I am guessing that they are showing you some of the better of the scheme cards. I could be wrong, but isn't that, generally speaking, one of thier advertising ploys?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Is it? Either way, it wouldn't seem to matter much in this case. Either an all or nothing gimmick. Players will either think it's a fun enough concept to have one player with some big advantages up against multiple opponents with regular decks or they won't. How powerful the scheme cards actually are just determines how many players would be needed to make the game balanced. The article is quite vague on that point. Some of the schemes are apparently designed to become more powerful with each additional opponent, which probably won't work, but it's an interesting idea...

T

theorgg

Archenemy was fun. The artifact deck was the only one to actually win the four-on-one match that was played, and that was piloted by me. I was accused of being a 'better player' than the other three Archenemies. A good time was had by all, but the decks are too expensive if you're going to try and build Scheme decks as suggested. $160 for a set of eight decks to get two of each card is a bit much.

E

EricBess

It's always interesting to see how the "big" companies adapt each other's ideas. WoW TCG already had multi-player all-on-one concept. Vs. did it with game-legal cards. Looks like WotC took that one step closer and basically said that the "one" can build whatever deck they want and then gave them an extra advantage that they could customize as well. Considering the "all opponent" cards and other multi-player strategy cards out there, the level of "balance" on this is going to simply depend on how the "one" prioritizes winning over having a good time.

T

theorgg

Yes. Accused. There are two groups of players in the area: One is an apartment full of people who think I'm a rules-knowledgeable goof who makes dumb decks to usually play, and one group is one that just recently started making sixty card decks and using more than 33% land. The most casual people are of the second group, and while there's some people with promise in the group (took first and third in the Pre and third and fourth in the release of M11), most of them are not the best at timing or strategy yet (though give 'em a few more months...). I actually just put in an order for a second Archenemy set. I ended up selling my other one for cost.