WotC Buys SW licence, what do you think about it?

I

Ihsans Shade

Recently Wizards of the coast bought the licence to the classic trilogy, as well as all the comics, and books about it. this means that they got everything, except the licene to make products based on the prequles, which still belongs to Decipher. But this made me angry, as a devout Star Wars fans, don't they have enough money from Pokemon? What happens to those of us who play the classic Star Wars game? If WotC conetinues the production of this game will it pull some of the same crap that it has with magic? The endor expansion just came out, will the bother to make the Death Star II, or will they let it wither and rot on the Vine.

Here is my question :Do you think that WotC Should continue the production of the SW CCG, or simply can it? Does anyone really care?

Ferret

Staff member
I think they should let it die - I also think that the gov't should be stepping in each time Hasbro buys another game company... I thought we had anti-trust laws in this country...

-ferret

"Come over to the Dark Side, Luke - all the cool kids are doing it..."

I

Ihsans Shade

Even though I started this, I must say that I think they shouldn't have bought it any way. If you look at the latest issue of IQ Gamer they have the top ten selling CCG's of that month, this month's top four are:
okemon(BOOO, HISSS)WotC
2:Magic(The Dethrowned King)WotC
3:Young Jedi(An excellent game)Decipher
and in fourth
4:Star Wars(My personal favorite)Decipher, for the moment.

What does WotC need with the SW Licence any way? It be like if Decipher, bought Magic, in more ways that one.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade
Actually, Decipher probally make the game better.

[Edited by Ihsans Shade (12-14-1999 at 10:51 AM).]

[Edited by Ihsans Shade (12-14-1999 at 12:34 PM).]

C

ChasDen

“What does WotC need with the SW Licence any way? It be like if Decipher, bought Magic, in more ways that one.”

Answer: Everyone say it out loud with me M O N E Y !!

Foil cards will initiate some sales at first. Swallow the profits, and spit out the game when done. “We have shareholders to consider now” – a quote from a press release. Bet you all of my cards, once the Pokemon promotion is complete (can not come soon enough for me) they will be selling little foil Star Wars Cards in plastic Easter Eggs at Burger King.

BTW when is the next movie due out ? Bet they finish their deal on paper in time for a movie.

Enjoy,
Life is too short

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

I

Ihsans Shade

The movie is due out in 2002.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade
Don't worry Baron, things won't get too weird.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how to post an opinion on this...

I don't play the SW roleplaying or card games so I don't know how true they are to the movies. I have read some books and have liked them.

On the other hand, what's wrong with a company buying another company? Aside from the argument that the product could go downhill (which is not that great of an argument anyway, I mean, that's presumably why they're buying it, because it's a great product. I don't think they'd intentionally kill it). A company is there to make money. If it has a lot of money (which is good for the founders), it looks at ways to make more money. Which is to sometimes buy other products that are making money.

So I guess I have a wait and see attitude.