VP Debate

Will the Vice Presidential Debate affect your Vote?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I read about it...

My paper has an explanation of how the electoral college works and all... Did you know theoretically, after much contigencies, Obama could be president and Sarah could be vice-president? :)

E

EricBess

That's not likely though. Basically, if there is a tie in the electoral college, the house picks the president and the senate picks the vice president. So, the senate, which is almost certain to be controlled by the Democrats, would need to pick Palin, which is unlikely.

The house is less certain. Democrats could control is, but the each state gets 1 vote, not each representative. A lot also depends on if a state decides to vote based on the representatives' party or the party that had the most votes from the state vote. Many things could happen and either candidate could end up president if that happens.

But like I said, if it ends up as a tie, I believe is is unlikely that the Senate would pick Palin. Theoretically, it is possible, though.

B

BigBlue

My magic 8-Ball says that possibility is "Doubtful". :)

Back in the earliest days... they were either pondering (or changed it from), no tickets, each person ran independently and the first place was president and second place was Vice President...

Not sure how well that would work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that was like the first three elections, although I don't think they were independent, but rather "Federalist" and something else... so it happened that Jefferson and his VP came from different parties...

Unless by "independent" you mean the two candidates weren't tied together but rather separately on the ballot...

B

BigBlue

I think they ran as a single candidate... not as Pres/VP... That was how you ended up w/ different parties...

But, it has been a very long time since I was in American History or Gov't... and I didn't do that well in either class! :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think you're right... the top vote getter became president and the second highest got to be VP...

Melkor

They weren't thinking about Political Parties and so when Jefferson and Burr ran under the same party and as the President/Vice President "ticket" it turned out weird because all of Jefferson's electors had also promised to vote for Burr causing a tie.

E

EricBess

I see, you weren't saying that it was possible "in this election", just that it was possible in theory.

Yep, it's a very interested situation.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, no, I meant this election since I named Obama and Sarah by name. But I also meant, like you did, that it was *extremely* unlikely and a lot of things had to fall into place before it could happen. :)