Verdant Obliterate

R

rkoelsch

I had the idea while walking into work today. Someone else must of thought of this but anyone notice the symmetry between Verdant Succession and Obliterate. If this goes off it is game over. So here is a possible deck list

4-BOP
4-Llanowar Elves
4-Werebear
4-Mystic Enforcer
2-Sabertooth Nishoba
2-Rith the Awakener
2-Penumbra Wurm

3-Sterling Grove
3-Shelter
2-Verdant Succession
1-Worship
3-Obliterate
2-Disenchants

4-Brushland
4-Karplusan Forest
2-Sungrass Prairie
2-Rith's Grove
2-Mountains
6-Forests
4-Plains

LMK what you think

PS I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself. I had to put white in. But I would be interested in a straight R/G version or I was thinking a R/G/b for tutor material.

M

Mikeymike

You're a sucker for those plains :)

I like the white for Worship, Sterling Grove and the creature choices you made. Shelter doesn't need to be in here though (should be another Succession) and Disenchant would probably be better off as Wax/Wane or Orim's Thunder.

The Penumbra Wurms work well, but they are overkill. Keep in mind that not all of your creatures have to green, b/c Obliterate should win you the game anyway. I'd probably run FTK instead or Voice of All.

R

rkoelsch

I didn't want to run FTK because after an obliterate it kills one of my creatures. I wanted to have over 20 creatures because you need creatures to really abuse Verdant Succession. I need to get another creature with a 5 toughness to replace the wurms then. any suggestions anyone? Maybe Jade Leech. can't be kavu titan because you don't get a chance to pay the kicker.

M

Mikeymike

FTK doesn't come back from the dead with the Succession, it only effects Green creatures (and remember your opponents' green creatures come back too). However early in the game its a great creature killer.

Blastoderm would be perfect!, wait that's not Type 2 anymore.

If you really want something big, I'd just go with the Shivan Wurm. I've tried it with the Succession and its gating isn't nearly as bad as it would appear, especially with 12 1-2 drops in the deck to bounce back to your hand. Personally, I hate the Jade Leech. But that's me.

Also, in my white/green VS deck I've noticed that the Sterling Groves really slow me down, especially since the deck is light on the card drawing. You might want to consider cutting them, at the very least try the build with and w/o the Groves. They are nice in that they do silver bullet search for you and protect the goods, but the deck is aggressive and they probably aren't aggressive enough.

Here's a slightly different build
4-BOP
4-Llanowar Elves
4-Werebear
4-Mystic Enforcer
3-FTK (Can be cast on turn 3, kills nearly everything in Type 2)
2-Sabertooth Nishoba
2-Rith the Awakener
2-Shivan Wurm

4-Verdant Succession
2-Worship
3-Obliterate
2-Wax/Wane OR Orim's Thunder

R

rkoelsch

oh yeah. man I always overlook little stuff like that. Does it get the token cards? That would suck. Now I have to get more Succesions for this but it looks interesting. I may give it a try. The reason I like it better than a straight w/g build is the obliterate is uncounterable and kills the land.

M

Mikeymike

No it doesn't get tokens thankfully - then it'd just be broken. Here's the exact ruling:
Whenever a green nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from play, that creature's controller may search his or her library for a card with the same name as that creature and put it into play. If that player does, he or she then shuffles his or her library.

The Obliterate is totally nasty with VS, and it might be worth the extra 4 mana vs. the Wrath of God.

Verdant Succession has officially become my favorite card, and its even cooler in Casual Type 1 where its a combo monster.