UW Control ~or~ I'm afraid of everything

Killer Joe

My States deck:

4 Counterspell
4 Absorb
4 Syncopate
2 Rites of Refusal (Hey, I like this one!)
2 Disrupt (Damn, turn three, Call of the Herd)
4 Dismantling Blow
4 Wrath of God
4 Standstill
3 Fact or Fiction
3 Fleeting Image
2 Serra Angel
6 Plains
10 Island
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Coastal Tower

SB//
3 Divert
3 Gainsay
2 Hibernation
3 Millstone
2 Traumatize
2 Super Secret Tech (Forget it, Wonka, I'm NOT telling!!!!)

Okay, lately, I've felt like I've been out of the Magic loop. I haven't got much time anymore to peruse the magic web sites for research on T2 environment or anything else for that matter.
Please, take a look at this and let me know what you think.

ps This is the first non-net deck I've thought of using in a long time.

Z

Zadok001

Very interesting... :) I've been testing U/W as well, and I love the deck I'm working with, but its different enough to not warrant mention here.

Fleeting Image is one card I'm a great fan of, but getting more than one copy of him is a PAIN. You have Rites of Refusal to make that a little less painful, but you still might want to drop one for a more efficient creature like a single Moti.

I'm also not completely sold on Dismantling Blow. All the stuff I'm playing against now doesn't have anything to Dismantle, and if it does, you want to kill it with as little mana committed as possible (Opposition, anyone?). I might drop that count to three, just on general principle.

Finally, if you have 'em, try tossing two Wraths for Routs. Otherwise, you may run into trouble against decks (like mine) that pack Meddling Mage. Those are an ENORMOUS pain in the rear if you don't have redundant but different spells. People that play only Wrath for removal get nailed to the wall by a turn 2 Mage calling Wrath. Kirtar's Wrath would also be an option, as would Repulse to rid yourself of the offending Mage temporarily, and counter him on the way back down.

Just some random thoughts, from a guy trying to avoid doing his homework.

C

Cateran Emperor

If Mages are that great of a threat, I think Repulse would likely be a better answer than Rout. Since he is planning to win via creatures, the 'infinite Wraths!' plan won't work as well as it would with a Millstone deck. The Images are a good step toward keeping your win conditions alive though.

I

Istanbul

Repulse yes. Repulse x4.
Lose Standstill for them.
Standstill is great unless they get a threat on the table...then it's dead weight in your hand.

R

rkoelsch

I don't like standstill in a control deck like this especially not 4 of them. I can't see you ever casting this early. If you want to keep it go down to 2 or at most 3.

Z

Zadok001

I dunno, Isty. I think Standstill should stay, ESPECIALLY if you add Repulse. The two work together quite well.

I

Istanbul

Standstill is only good
1) if you draw Repulse, and
2) if your opponent only has one threat on the board.

In this environment, not something I'd want to count on without a LOT more card-drawing than I see in this deck.