THIS is the reason I miss Wakefield.

T

theorgg

I was doing a search on "ask.com" right before turning off my computer and for $#*!s and giggles, I typed in 'Wakefield'...

here's the URL jeeves regurgitated:

http://www.thedojo.com/column/col.990401jwa.shtml

I remember reading this artical and feeling as if I was playing this game instead of him...
Truly a classic artical by the best Magic colomists ever.

God, I miss 'em.

Hopefully, one day Jamie will come out to play again.
then we will hear of his exploits a few thousand times over...

hmmm... 1:49 AM...
that says I either am in my clearest mind ever or about to fall asleep.
take a look at the artical and enjoy it again, for the first time.(or second, or third)

and if you've never read Wakefield--have a treat.

Sic semper,
-The Orgg

Killer Joe

Orgg, maybe, just maybe, you could somehow arrange for an interview with JW. Since he's not playing MTG anymore the approach to asking would have to be carefully scripted, as to not let it sound like we're begging or anything. You know, questions could be asked in relation to his past glorious moments or "what was it like back then", you know, reflection questions instead of present or future questions like "So, when are ya commin' back" (too obvious and I'm sure he's sick of hearing it) or "Whatcha' doin' now" (again, a question I'm sure has been asked of him a thousand times). Or maybe, have him submit questions he would like to answer, since I'm sure those questions would NOT be MTG related, only a few could be considered.
The angle, IMO, should be more like a documentary of his past days of magic playing. Here's a sample:
CPA: How did you get into playing Magic? (a generic question, I know, but it's a start)
CPA: What can you tell us about your early experiences in tournament magic. (He's a master at linguistics and quite the orator so the questions should be extremely open-ended)
CPA: What was your opinion (back in your days of magic), about casual play?
CPA: Had you ever tried contacting WotC about your concerns for overly broken cards like "Tolarian Academy" et al?
None of the questions should have any inquery as to when he'll be comming back because he's already announced it publicly that he is not currently playing magic and does not know when or if he ever will again. Asking that same question again might be considered badgering or at least in violation of "His Word" (what, doesen't anyone believe me when I announced (JW that is) that I wasn't going to be playing anymore, didn't you read that I'm currently working on a book, geez) I'm sure he would get offended.
Orgg, think about it, it would be the interview FOR the players, BY the players and from one of the most beloved players in magic history!!!!
If anyone could pull off the quality of interviews like you have, then this might be the mother of all magic interviews.
"The Interview of the YEAR" by theorgg

...just a suggestion.

You know, you could always just tell me to go to hell or New Jersey (same).

Z

Zadok001

That's his greatest article, IMHO... :) Every single new player I've helped draw in at my school gets one piece of advice from me. "Go to the Dojo, click on 'Columns,' then on 'King of the Fatties.' Read everything in bold."

It's really important. Wakefield was possibly the best writer in the history of the game, and the _only_ real representative of casual players the game had. I mean, Secret Force? WTF? What's that? :)

"And now _I_ have four Natural Orders... Beware, ye who anger me..."

Z

Zadok001

Brilliant idea, btw, Yellowjacket...

And Orgg, I never got a response, I'm afraid. I think you're a better bet, being unofficial PR guy and all... :)

D

Duel

Hell yes! Get the king! I miss wakefield, let's see what he's up to, what his book's about, what he does ni his spare time, how he got started. Go on and take one for the team, Orgg!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Maybe, if magic is ever blessed with wakefeilds return, he might want to hand here, I would love to like, talk to him...
*mouth open in awe*

T

theorgg

well, he's one of the "and other famous Magic characters" that I e-mailed that was going to be a supprise if I had 'em "hooked"...

Unfourtunatly, I kept "updating" him with the new fat green cards when every set came out, so I think he might have blocked my E-mail address, since he didn't answer any of them.

The final E-mail I got from him was about him appriciating me using him in my comic.
:)
I'm glad He liked it. But I don't think that he'd want to do an interview.:(

not for a long time when his book comes out.

A

arhar

It's all about the Dinosaurs!
Yeah, yeah!
Huh? What'cha gonna do?
You're gonna play Necro? Counter-Sliver?
Gonna get yo' face smashed by Verdant Force silly?
Huh? Huh?
It's all about the dinosaurs, baby.
Yeah!

A

arhar

On a more serious note, Wakefield IS the best Magic writer ever. No one came close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I am sideboarding – some randrom scrub asks me if he can be in my tourney report. “Sure” I tell him. ‘Whats your name?”

“Just put ‘some random guy’ or ‘some dude’ or ‘some randrom scrub’ and that’ll be enough.”

“Hey! I know you! You were in another tournament report under that name too!”

“Yup. I’m that guy.”

So, there ya go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How can you beat that?

Z

Zadok001

:) Agreed. Wakefield was God as far as Magic writing was concerned. He who tries to take the throne is either brilliant or pathetic.

D

Duel

You cannot take the throne. You just have to work by yourself, and see if it's handed to you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did no one read my Wakefield article in the General Forums? A reply by Alan Webster to an article on the Dojo stated that Wakefield was starting to play Magic again, but someone (theorgg?) said that he probably wouldn't be writing again.

Look it up!

;)