Tell your cardflopping freak-of-chance stories here

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Do you have any stories of some guy, who can play a U/R deck with coin-flipping and still win v. your Overrift or Psychatog deck, sometimes at 1 life.

Anybody get a wellwisher out 2nd turn, then nothing but legions of elves while you got 10 land on top and nothing useful?

Did you do a limited draft and someone got a Kamahl AND a Seedborn muse in the same draft pile, getting at least one of the two EVERY TIME?

If you have any stories of a Yami, someone who tends to win whether or not they're trying, they logically would, or how many Lightning Rifts/Psychatogs/etc. their opponents have on the table, or someone who negates years of skill, effort, deck building and deck testing by constant freaks of chance (after shuffling library, drawing a Genesis to complement the Solitary Confinement they got a turn ago)

On the other extreme, anyone who just can't shuffle, no matter how good his shuffling strategy works for ANYONE else? Anyone who habitually gets ripped off in draft, or plays 3 lightning rift and draws nothing but basic land for JUST long enough to lose while their opponent's at 1? Anyone who mulligans once almost every game?
NOTE: Luck is NOT a constant, but it certainly seems like one sometimes. The concept of 'lucky' and 'unlucky' people is fallacious because it relies on:

False links:
"He got 2 Cabal Rituals, Book Burning, A mountain, a swamp AND Phage in the same opener twice in a row! He must have some kind of amazing luck!".

After the fact logic
"I sided out Dirge of Dread (which he never even used the whole match) v. MonoBlack control after I won, and then I lost the next two matches. I guess I lost because of siding it out."

A

Apollo

I have a Stupid Green deck featuring exactly one Overrun, which is attracted to me. I draw it on the turn I need it to kill somebody every time. I also played a string of games recently where I drew my one Mind Twist in my opening hand 6 consecutive times. In short, I guess I'm the lucky one in my group.

And of course, I was the one that successfully pulled off the "Demonic Tutor for a Vampiric Tutor" play that my friend still complains about.

T

train

I've only been lucky once while playing in a tourney with sneaky...

Play Mtn, mox diamond discarding swamp, play lotus petal, play dark ritual, play sneak attack, sneak serra avatar...

many times in casual, but only once in tourney... usually it's a second or third turn thing...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I definitely have come back from 1 life before to win a game several time, but it was a long time ago that they haven't stuck in my head.

I know I've topdecked a couple times with my games online with train, rkoelsch, and BigBlue... ;)