Stangg's Brothers and Sisters [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm already working on my deck for the next West Coast Commander League meetup, so I'm ahead of schedule on that compared to my usual these days of "Don't start until the night before." But I've fallen behind on reporting my decks as they're played. So here's my deck from the 1st. But it's weird enough to require some explanation. For December, our league's point system has kind of a Christmas/holiday theme. We've also changed some of the permanent points...

-The "First Blood" point has been replaced with "Spread the Love" (deal combat damage to all of your starting opponents).
-The "Scholarly General" (+3 points) category, which we used last month and which was well-received, has been added to the permanent points. To get it, within the course of a game you must attack with a creature, block with a creature, activate a non-mana ability, draw more than one card in a turn, tutor for a card, and discard a card. All pretty easy things to do individually, but hitting each of those requirements within the same game is a good sign of a well-rounded deck.
-The "Legendary Legends" category dropped from 2 points to 1 point. While four different players have earned points in this category and others have said they'd try, the majority of these entries have been by the same two people. And those two people also tend to score more points over time than anyone else. I'm one of them. We're earning more points because we almost always build decks from scratch with the monthly and weekly points in mind, not because of the boost from "Legendary Legends" specifically. But the issue was raised that 6 extra points in a day is a lot, and that using crappy commanders isn't really holding us back. So yeah, fair enough.

The monthly points for December are...

-Beards On The Battlefield (+1): Your commander has a beard and you cast it at least once.
-Winter Wonderland (+1): control 8 snow permanents.
-Family Gathering (+2): Control two or more non commander family member cards (family relation is in the card name, e.g. Uncle Istvan, Mad Auntie).
-Gift Exchange (+2): Leave the game either by winning or losing while controlling a permanent you don't own and an opponent controls a permanent you own.

And for the first time, we get to know all of the weekly rotators in advance...

-12/1 Holiday Colors (+1): Your commander has red and green in its color identity and you cast it at least once
-12/8 Elvish Work Ethic (+1): Activate an ability from 3 or more different elves.
-12/15 Here comes Hanukkah (+3): Activate Sensei's Divining Top, Candelabra of Tawnos or Magus of the Candelabra 4 or more times.
-12/22 Santa's Reindeer (+2): Control 9 elk and or caribou.
-12/29 Its a bird, its a plane, its.... (+2): Cause 3 or more creatures you control that do not naturally have flying to gain flying.

So this time around I got a really late start. I brought a bunch of red and green cards with me to the store, planning to build a deck with The Lady of the Mountain as commander. While building my deck in the store, I switched to Stangg because his reprint in Masters 25 has a beard. I borrowed a copy of the reprint and used my original as the Stangg Twin token. This was mostly just because I asked the guy in charge if a token with a family relationship in its name counted (original wording said "card") and he decided that it did. This meant my commander made a token that got me halfway toward "Family Gathering." And my deck was red/green. And my commander had a beard. And of course I was using snow-covered lands. So all that was left was to do some gift-exchanging, which I did.

So this deck earned a lot of points. I tied my previous personal record of 40 points in one day (but still didn't earn the bounty for next week because the guy playing Nebuchadnezzar scored 45 points). But the actual playability of this pile of cards, its capacity to win games, is negligible. This was a pile of garbage. Oh, I'll play some bad decks in the future, but maybe not quite this bad...

Commander:
1x Stangg

1x Abundance
1x Arcum's Astrolabe
1x Arid Mesa
1x Beast Within
1x Brood Monitor
1x Broodhatch Nantuko
1x Brothers of Fire
1x Burgeoning
1x Child of Gaea
1x Conquer