Rooser does it again: Mutant Bidding

R

Rooser

This deck idea came from a while ago when darksteel first came out and I was thinking of building a spiteful "T2 metagame hate" deck that would be black/red/green and would maindeck things like pyroclasm, naturalize, and dark banishing. To fix up the mana I was thinking land cyclers and fetch lands would be good.

And that's when the real idea struck: The black landcycler and one of the green landcyclers are of the same creature type.

Yeah, that's right, Twisted Abomination is a zombie. A zombie MUTANT.

And Wirewood Guardian is an elf. An elf MUTANT.

And clearly, Patriarch's Bidding is a good card.

The idea was perfect, it seemed. Control the board, have great mana consistency, fill up the graveyard with Mutants, then Bidding out 20+ power.

The problems, it seemed, were that the mutants couldn't haste over and the bidding could just end up summoning blockers.

So I never messed with the idea much.

Later I aquired a Gigapede and thought about how funny he would be if you had an anger, a brawn, and a Squee in your graveyard. He'd be an untargetable Ball Lightning that didn't die at end of turn and could return to your hand for free if he ever did! I also thought of how easy it would be to set this up with a buried alive.

"Great" I thought, "How am I going to build a black/red/green deck..."

I realized that my Mutant Bidding idea just needed to be put in Extended and wouldn't mind a little help from a certain gigapede. Now that Bidding summons up 30+ power in hasty, tramply Mutants, I think my problems have been solved.

Also, green/black is famous for a certain mass removal card that shall remain nameless.

Here it is, my latest Masterpiece: Mutant Bidding.

Landations (26)
Mountain x5
Forest x6
Swamp x7
Bloodstained Mire x4
Wooded Foothills x4

Creaturismos (12)
Twisted Abomination x4
Wirewood Guardian x4
Squee, Goblin Sir x1
Gigapede, Insect Nabob x1
Anger x1
Brawn x1

Otherfications (18)
Patriarch's Bidding x2
Buried Alive x4
Terminate x4
Pernicious Deed x4
Starstorm x4

Pieces d' Resistance (4)
Living Wish x4

Living Wish targets I keep on hand (8)
Bane of the Living x1
Eternal Witness x1
Duplicant x1
Nantuko Vigilante x1
Squee, Goblin Happy x1
Undead Gladiator x1
Wasteland x1
Spiritmonger x1

Also (7)
*Insert sideboard cards*

I. Love. This deck.

T

train

I take it the deck didn't stay type 2 with Anger and brawn included?...

If that's the case - you could also Living Death, etc... You'd have the full graveyard, and your opponent wouldn't, so a death wouldn't be bad...

H

Homestar

if you feel like makin it Type 2, since its red, mass hysteria could solve your problem

R

Rooser

Oh I thought about Mass Hysteria, but decided it wasn't worth the card slot. Essentially it just made Patriarch's bidding into 3BBR instead of 3BB and I had to have been lucky enough to have drawn both. When I was trying to keep it T2 I was building as a seriously competetive deck, and while I just might play it in a tourney, it's really been relegated to "Casual Extended multiplayer" which is perfectly fine with me. I don't want suggestions on how to convert this into a T2 deck.

H

Homestar

oh, o.k, i thought it was a good idea..............

and instead of payin the extra mana for pats. bidding, you could just play mass hysteria while you are building up mana for bidding or the turn before u play bidding.

R

Rooser

But Homestar, then all their creatures would haste into me.:rolleyes:

G

Gaea'sSaproling

have you thought about putting in mana acceleration?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Gaea'sSaproling
have you thought about putting in mana acceleration?
Specifically?

I mean, this is for the format where all mana acceleration is banned, even if it's not actually very good...

G

Gaea'sSaproling

hmm ure right, extended is nuetered for accel, even tho, he could use birds/elves, it doesnt have to be broken acceleration but most of his cards have a higher curve, i dont know if urza block is still in extended but exploration would have great synergy with land cycling and he has a decent land count to boot, just an opinion tho

R

Rooser

Interesting, yes, but I don't see the value of running birds, elves, and explorations when I'm rolling out with Deeds and Starstorms. Never missing a land drop for the first ten turns is usually good enough, and my curve actually isn't that high. I'm not racing to a bidding, I'm playing control, and the bidding is just my win card - (For those of you who didn't understand why I don't want to play this in T2, it's because I wouldn't win the turn I played Bidding - in this deck I do).

You don't encourage Mono-Blue Control to play with acceleration, do you? Why is this deck different?

@ train: Living Death seemed likea cool idea at first, but then I realized it would be self-defeating because my Anger and Brawn would be pulled out of the graveyard too.

T

train

I hadn't thought about that with anger and brawn... good call...

(As for not sure about type 2 or extended in my previous post - the first line - a type 2 hate deck, had me thinking 2...):rolleyes:

R

Rooser

After playing with this deck for a while my friends eventually got wise to my tricks and started naming "Incarnation" when I would Bidding - but frankly if I have to wait a turn to smash face in exchange for them not getting any creatures, I say it's a good deal.

M

Mikeymike

Consider Phyrexian Tower, it provides some light mana acceleration and also gives you a mechanism to kill an incarnation if you need to. If you can't use the mana, you should be able to through it into some regen shields for your Abomidable Zombies. It also allows you to put a bit more oomph into your Deeds.

Also, you might as well have 2 Gigapede just in case you can't dig out a Bidding. 2 6/1 Hasted, trampling, untargetables are always better than 1, and they are easy to set up. Personally I'd cut a Starstorm or a Terminate for 1.

For the sideboard, I'd include Triskelion and DEFINITELY Withered Wretch...just in case they too are playing a reanimator deck.

F

Force of Will Smith

hats off to ya.. I Think this definiately has the potential to work..
The Mutants thin the deck, fetch a land.. and are uncounterable to put into the graveyard.

I also like how you thin the deck even more with the onslaught lands.. :)

id also think about running the other land cyclers.. probably in sideboard,. I think the elf and the zombie have the highest beef factor tho.. hmm..

If you wanted to wipe the board i'd consider Sickening Dreams..
You could pitch like 3-4 beasts, wipe the board of disciples and frogs and get your anger there..

Sweet deck tho.

F

Force of Will Smith

Well im partial to things that just cant be stopped(aside from interdict/nu counter,

spore frog, altar of dementia, shard phoenix,etc.

hmm.. in addition to sickening dreams, you could combo the number of creatures in your grave with a
songs of the damned and possibily if you could fit a spell you could cast over and over... and recur the landcyclers

say you could:
have 4-6 landcyclers in the grave, play songs for BBBB/BBBBBB
then bidding...

or in a single turn after you or an opponent casts 2-3 spells,
or in response to someone attempting to clear your graveyard, cast reaping the graves(the storm raise dead instant) and snap a few, if not all of them back for 2B, then cycle them again... fetching more land and thinnning the deck more!!

I think you need to maindeck 4 bidding however..

I think you could cut the living wishes entirely.. seeing as how you dont need specific creatures.. mainly just any cyclers..

Your deck could greatly benefit from genesis..

you could do a sickening wind for 2.. cycling a mutant every single turn until you have insane mana..

Terminate requires red/black: not enough red/ using bloodstained you 1 turn of land..
Starstorm is good for clearing, but RR in the cost isnt a good idea.

Terminate is good but the R kills it.. devour becomes much better.

Squee rocks, but hes not really necessary, unless maybe you were doing a recursion with say, volrath's dungeon or pyromancy.

Gigapede is nice as well but strays from the focus, most likely youd have a gigapede die many times, and have to pitch your forestcycled land to get him back in your hand, and then spend another 3GG cost. He'll die to almost anything as well.. if you want recurring creatures with no drawback use weatherseed treefolk hes the same cost 2GGG for a Tramping 5/3. If hes put into a graveyard from play, he simply returns to your hand.
Plus you could run 4 of them and with deeds and kegs clear the path for him to attack..

Buried alive only gets you 1 benefit of having the mutants in the grave.

If you want haste go Concordant crossroads. It doesn't require you to have a mountain.. and its an enchantment.. and there is much less hate for enchantments now.

Chalice of the Void stops a lot of affinity and keg can be better to clear your opponents board instead of your own.
You can go 4 pernicious, but a keg for 2 mana can kill ALL artifact lands.

the only reason i kept pernicious is that its an enchantment.

if you want to be cheesy, you could run 4 splinters and rip a hole through a mirrodin combo deck.

Landations (24)
Forest x9
Swamp x9
Barren Moor x2
Tranquil Thicket x2
Blasted Landscape x2

Artifacts: (6)
2x Chalice of the Void
2x Powder Keg (artifact and creature)
2x Pernicious Deed (art cr and enchantment)

Green: (16)
4x Twisted Abomination/ Llanowar Elves) (5/3)
4x Wirewood Guardian (6/6)
4x Elvish Abberation (4/5)
2x Genesis

Black: (17)
3x Songs of the Damned
3x Patriarch's Bidding
3x Sickening Wind
2x Terror/Devour in shadow
2x Screams from Within (to wipe out disciples and 1/1's)
2x Pestilence
2x Reaping the Graves/
2x Mind Maggots

?Restless Dreams
?Sutured Ghoul
?Concordant Crossroads

This deck is 3 over with land.. with 3 different types of cycling lands

2 of them B/G that come into play tapped and one you can use right away or cycle it.

you could toss in eternal witnesses to

mind maggots to dump cyclers for a super beefy maggot

or run a sutured ghoul..

With 7 Lands or 4 lands over 2 turns

Play maggots for 3B, pitching 4 cyclers, making maggots a
12/12, then for B cast song of the damned adding BBBB, tapping the remaining 3 and cast sutured ghoul for a (*2 twisted 2 wirewoods) for a 22/22 Trampler and a 12/12 creature.. probably with a keg in play with a counter or 2 on it.

you could run restless dreams (B sorcery) and discard X non cyclers to get those cyclers back.

you could even kill with a pestilence

counter/control/ board clearing/ recursion/LOTS of land
and the ability to wipe out 1,000,000 1/1s in a single turn.

18 control cards
11 Board Clearing
18 cycling
24 Land
14 Creatures

cards that can be played as instants (including cyclers):25
Sorcerys:6

Since you have so many things you can do during your opponent's turn.. i dont think creatures having summoning sickness is really that big of a deal, especially with so much clearing/control.

that and bidding isnt your SOLE purpose of the deck.. you can pound em a few different ways..

and theres nothing to stop you from genesis'ing a witness each turn to toss out deeds and kegs each turn.

I also like the fact that with this setup, you can collapse on yourself and come back on top...
say you bid 4 creatures into play and they managed to kill 3 of them.. throw a sickening wind, clearing the board,

or pestilence to kill a few of yours, then use a songs for the kill
i think if you try this variant out.. youll probably find parts of it that work really nicely and want to upp the #.