Return to Ravnica Event Decks: Spidey (Creep and Conquer) vs Oversoul (Wrack and Rage)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Done.

Spidey: 3
Hand: 2
Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,T,U) Swamp x3
(T,T,U,U) Forest x4

Graveyard: Dawntreader Elk, Vampire Nighthawk, Evolving Wilds, Dawntreader Elk, Evolving Wilds, Vampire Nighthawk
Exile:

==================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T,T,U,U) Mountain x4

(T) Rix Maadi Guildmage (2/2; BR: Target blocking creature gets -1/-1 ueot. BR: Target player who lost life this turn loses 1 life)
(T) Rakdos Cackler (2/2; Unleash.) *1 +1/+1 counter* *Soulbonded to Lightning Mauler*
(T) Lightning Mauler (2/1; Soulbond. As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have haste.) *Soulbonded to Rakdos Cackler*

Graveyard: Rakdos Cackler, Mizzium Mortars
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Swamp

Done

Spidey: 3
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U) Swamp x4
(U,U,U,U) Forest x4

Graveyard: Dawntreader Elk, Vampire Nighthawk, Evolving Wilds, Dawntreader Elk, Evolving Wilds, Vampire Nighthawk
Exile:

==================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,T) Swamp x2
(T,T,U,U) Mountain x4

(T) Rix Maadi Guildmage (2/2; BR: Target blocking creature gets -1/-1 ueot. BR: Target player who lost life this turn loses 1 life)
(T) Rakdos Cackler (2/2; Unleash.) *1 +1/+1 counter* *Soulbonded to Lightning Mauler*
(T) Lightning Mauler (2/1; Soulbond. As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have haste.) *Soulbonded to Rakdos Cackler*

Graveyard: Rakdos Cackler, Mizzium Mortars
Exile:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Don't know what I'll topdeck, but let's just go Untap, upkeep, Brimstone Volley, and see if that kills you (I think it does, but I forget what the exact deck contents are and if you have any possible lines to survive this turn).

I didn't exactly miss lethal on my last turn. I was deliberately hedging because I was topdecking lands and wanted to save the Volley in case I needed it. I was particularly watching for you to get a well-timed Golgari Charm and then possibly establish a better board than mine, but it looks like the deck stalled for you as much as it did for me...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Good game. I think Creep and Conquer is just a bit too slow to build defenses against a dedicated aggro deck like Wrack and Rage. If we pitted these two against each other more times, C&C would eventually pick up some wins, and could perhaps fare better post-sideboard, but by the time it can start using its mechanics to grind out better value than the opposition, it's likely to sustain too much damage.

Anyway, Rix Maadi Guildmage MVP, right? Seems like it was the card that did the most to win in both games. I've gained a measure of respect for card.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think if we both got more "optimal" plays (like more land for you and less land for me) and were able to actually play more, Creep and Conquer could have held its own. I mean, I don't think WOTC would have released two decks where one is *obviously* overpowers the other. Wrack and Rage just got the better draws for our two games :)

yeah, that Guildmage is good at clearing the way...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's not that Creep and Conquer is inferior or bad, it's that it's a bit soft to early pressure, and Wrack and Ruin is practically an all offense deck. Against other opponents, C&C could have the advantage. But anyway, it's a matter of degree, and without thorough testing I'm guessing. My impression is that the decks from the era when two Event decks were released per set were not especially intended to be balanced against one another, although because both were built with similar principles for the same environment, there might be some inherent balancing going on...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, according to the website that I'm using for the decklists, it's supposed to play defense first with Tragic Slip, Ultimate Price, and use chump blockers like Slitherhead, Drudge Beetlee, and Dreg Manglar. I didn't have any of those, just a ton of land :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, Tragic Slip would have been great if either of us had ever drawn it. Ultimate Price plays a lot better against opponents that aren't running a bunch of dual-colored creatures. In the previous game I did get some chump blockers and tried to set up for Scavenge, but you kept nuking my would-be blockers with direct damage spells.