ranting Me, Part 8: Standard's Momentary Farce

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

Please correct me if the situation has changed, but standard consists from the newest base set plus the two newest blocks. Well, then, we're all screwed when Shadowmoor comes out. If the rumors I hear are correct, what we will have is another mini-set.
They can't do this to us.
Let's think about this for a moment. Right now, in Standard, we have Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, and Future Sight, plus Tenth edition, Lorwyn, and Morningtide.
But when the new set comes out, the Time Spiral block will vanish. In end effect, we'll have four sets in standard-a situation that didn't happen since fourth edition came out (or earlier? i'm not sure). What this means, is that only the very rare few will be able to compete. You could just as well go to a Lorwyn block tournament. I can hardly imagine that they would do that... or would they? I don't know, but I know enough not to trust standard. And with the time spiral block gone, there's a lot of awesome decks gone, above all the simple three- to four-color beatdown. Standard is doomed, and I doubt that Extended will be all to happy about losing Invasion block.

M

Modus Pwnens

As for standard, Shadowmoor will count as if it's the third block in Lorwyn, so Time Spiral won't rotate out, and Extended only rotates once every three years.. Next rotation will be in october this year, when everything after mirrodin will become extended.

B

Budget Player Cadet

That is a calming thought. I was actually worried about that, even though I don't play standard, a lot of my friends do.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It's easier to think of the rotation in seasons that begin in September and end in August. With that though, you have the most recent core set and the two most recent seasons. This explains why Ravinca block and Coldsnap rotated at the same time.

Ransac, cpa trash man