Rando's Movie Review

R

Rando

The internet gives all of us fancifull people a chance to be someone else for a while, or forever if you keep your lies in order.
So guess what?
I'm a movie critic now.........

American Psycho

Absolutely the best depiction of a lunitic I have ever seen. Serial Killers are one of my many strange hobbies, and the writer of this story did a wonderful job in creating and giving a believable character to a madman. I have not read the novel that this is bassed on, but if it is anything like the film, then I am going to go ahead and suggest it.

Reminiscent of the 20's film The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari, American Psycho drags us into the twisted world of a budding homicidal maniac.

The film follows our protaganist (and antagonist, both one in the same), an 80's power rich yuppie, on his trip from Wall Street success to depraived murder. He starts out crazy, and just gets crazier and crazier, climaxing in one of the most brillient plot twists I've borne wittness to.

I watched the film with 4 other people, and only 2 of us 5 understood exactly what was going on in the last few shots, but if you know anything about the criminally insane, you'll not have trouble catching it. It also helps explain many of the more "unlikely" events that happen in the story.

This is a violent and disturbing film, so send the kiddies to bed. It certainly deserves it's R rating. But, for those of you that don't like gore, don't worry. We are made to presume most of the sickness that happens, the blood flowing just out of camera shot. This only serves to help visualize the violence better though, so the trully faint of heart and those of us with particular vivid imaginations should prepare.

I will suggest this movie to all mature adults that can handle such a realistic depiction of a serial killer. The more sane and in touch with reality you are, the crazier and more disturbing this movie will seem. This only makes it better.

[Edited by Rando on September 15th, 2000 at 09:30 AM]