F

FoundationOfRancor

1.) Why was Memory JAr banned?

2.) Why was lotus petal banned?

3.) Why isnt flucator unbanned?

Thanks!

Z

Zadok001

1. A really sick little Megrim/Jar deck threatened tourneys. Though I never got a chance to play it on Apprentice, I've heard it could kill on turn 2 fairly often, sometimes 3 - 5.

2. I believe the DCI said something like this: "Lotus Petal serves only to improve combo decks." Thus, banned. I joked with my friends that one day, the DCI would ban the Petal for being too powerful. Little did we know.

3. I have no idea. Why would it be?

F

FoundationOfRancor

1) Oh, I can see why that would be a problem now....

2) Oh, that sucks (But makes sense)

3) I heard of a deck that would cycle thrugh the deck untill is graveyard was full and then cast lving death. With Flucator it can all be done turn 2 or 3. Since living death was rotated out, i think it should be unbanned. Is it?

Y

Y The Alien

No Rest For The Wicked, which is more risky, since you have to get it on the same turn as the cycled dudes, but much cheaper. Add Vamp Tutors and you'd have an almost guaranteed 3rd-4th turn kill. Lotus Petal- who knows? Memory Jar- Because, in concery with megrim, Dark Rit, Grim Monolith, and other fast mana, can get a 1st turn win. That was deemed a _little_ too abuseable.

S

Spaceman Spiff

Lotus petal got banned because of hatred decks.

first turn mountain, lotus petal, play raging goblin using mountain,use petal, double dark ritual, hatred for 19, dead first turn, in T2 it was then tho, so it was just too evil.
get the point?
oh and I still dont understand why they didnt just ban hatred, that card is evil...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the Petal was banned because of Bargain/Necro Will decks able to Drain for a quick kill turn 2-3. I don't think anyone really used the combo you spoke of, though it does seem even more evil.

I still think you could've fixed the Memory Jar problem with errata, by changing the word "Discard" to "Bury". That's another one of those "Why didn't WotC's R&D catch this?" questions, since they ended up banning the card, like, a month after it's release.

And the Fluctuator/Living Death combo would still be legal for Extended if Fluctuator was still legal. I think Fluctuator was another one of those cards that shouldn't have been made, at least not like it was. It should have been done like Power Artifact, where it wouldn't have been able to reduce the cost to cycle a card below 1, even with multiples in play.

Oh well.

A

Apollo

The Petal was banned because the only decks it was ever used in was combo decks. Not the one Spiff spoke of; that's way too inconsistent (requires 5 nonland cards to work), but Academy, Bargain, Jar, etc.

The Jar was banned because of Memory Jar/Megrim decks that could potentially kill you turn 1, usually turn 3-5. The "discard" to "bury" solution wouldn't have solved the problem because cards in hand can't be buried or destroyed, they can only be discarded.

With Fluctuator, you make a virtually all-cycling deck, then cycle through your deck until you get Haunting Misery or Living Death and Dark Ritual, then kill them. Since you're cycling and can get whatever card you need, Fluctuator is really the only card you need to go off. It could still be done in Extended, or with No Rest for the Wicked as Y the Alien said.

Apollo

U

Ura

The combo spiff mentioned isn't as inconsistant as you would think. I built the deck thats based around it and it got the combo on turn one or two about 85% of the time. I could be just lucky too mind you. The only thing that this deck ever had major problems against is red sly which explains why it was never that big of a deck theme.

U

Ura

Hey Rancor!

I've been around, just busy with work and life. bleah
I tried submitting an artical a while ago, but I guess it wasn't quite up to par, come to think of it, I don't remember if I had a point in it. :confused:
That and I think I pissed somebody off cause I posted to a Replenish thread a while ago that dissapeared. Sorry about raging everyone. :eek: