Prophecy box report

I

Istanbul

Well, I got my pre-ordered box of Prophecy today.
I also bought four boosters, 'cause I could.

FOILS:

In Box: 5
Rare: Copper-Leaf Angel (lame!)
Uncommon: Reveille Squad (cool!), Noxious Field (also cool!)
Common: Soul Charmer (lame!), Glittering Lynx (mediocre)

In Packs: 1
Uncommon: Sunken Field (cool!)

DUPLICATE RARES:

In Box: 4
Blue: Heightened Awareness
Black: Avatar of Woe (woo-hoo!), Greel Mind Raker (yeah!)
Green: Vitalizing Wind (sweet!)

In packs: 4 (yeah, all four)
Red: Fickle Efreet (Stan: "Gay."), Task Mage Assembly (Cartman: "Totally gay."), Search for Survivors (Kyle: "Liberace gay.")
Green: Dual Nature

Rares I still need:

White: Blessed Wind, Celestial Convergence
Blue: Alexi Zephyr Mage, Denying Wind, Overburden
Black: Coffin Puppets, Infernal Genesis
Red: Latulla Keldon Overseer, Veteran Brawlers
Green: Avatar of Might, Elephant Resurgence, Forgotten Harvest
Land: Wintermoon Mesa

Poor distrubition, but most of the rares I need are kinda lame, so they should be easy to trade for. :) See my post in the Trading area if you'd like to do so.

Just my two mana!

T

theorgg

Search for survivors shuffles your graveyard.

It's the first card of it/s type to do that, and that's a cool ability to have.
some decks may be able to take advantage of the ability.

I

Istanbul

Shuffles my graveyard. Woo-hoo. In red. Let me do my dance of joy now.

Face it. In most every red deck, the majority of cards in your graveyard are *not* going to be creatures, so all this does is remove a random card from your graveyard and shuffle it. Useless.

G

Gumby Khan

You don't think that's a good card? For three mana, you can put a creature into play? How about them echo creatures? Ghitu slinger, A. riders, crater helion, shivan raptor, gobin war buggy, and Keldon champion? That's only the red ones. Try albino troll, bone shredder, and Radiant dragoons. Granted, the deck must have %50 creatures, but it can work. IMHO, SOS can also be used in a combo deck. Turn one, kris mage, turn two pitch Avatar of XXX and do one point to something (who cares), turn three, SOS and look, only one card in my graveyard, it's an Avatar...want to concede now? Yes, this is a three card combo, but you can make it viable with other spellshapers, like trickster mage, harvest mage, etc. and other fatties like Delraich, Thorn Elemental, Flowstone thopter (don't laugh, a 7/1 flyer can do some heavy damage), and Phyrexian colossus! Anyhow, just think about it.:)

D

Duel

umm.. right, gumby? Just a check here, how about a more effective method, like turn one, dark rit, bog witch. Turn two, discard avatar of WHOAMYGOD! to bog witch, exhume, take one burn. Concede? yessir!

M

Multani

Tag Guard

And everyone thought Tempest made type 2 cutthroat.
Prophecy is going to make type 1 look gentle and
slow.:D

G

Gumby Khan

Prophecy offers too many game-swing spells and with so much alternate casting, it'll get combo crazy very soon. I think black will be first to combo. Hand destruction+Avatar of Woe probably will be first to see light.

Duel, you are correct about SOS not being as efficient, but my point was that SOS makes a red-recursion deck possible, no black. Also, I love "Avatar of WHOAMYGOD!" Need to steal that from you, hope you don't mind!:)

I

Istanbul

Why would I want to run red reanimation when I can run black reanimation, and do the same job a lot more reliably?

Yeah, I can play blue Stompy too, I just WOULDN'T, because there are better decks out there.

Sorry. I just don't see SOS seeing play, not so long as black has more and better reanimation strategies.

M

mogg bomber

It seems like there are few foils in Prophecy boxes. I just opened a box and only got 4 foils(Alexi Zephyr Mage,Fen Stalker,Vintara Snapper, and Hazy Homunculus) Also there are some weird collation problems. I got 3 Rhystic Tutors from one box!

[Edited by mogg bomber on June 8th, 2000 at 03:43 PM]

S

Seeker of Truth

I was looking at the spoiler for Search for Survivors, and the first thing that popped into my head at that was Pyromancy. That's not a bad combo, is it? Pay R, dump, say, Shivan Phoenix for 6, then Search for Survivors and put it into play. Repeat for Crater Hellion, Two-Headed Dragon, Crimson Hellkite, etc. It may also work well with Sneak Attack, in that you sac the creature at the end of your turn, then Search and pull it back out again. Perhaps combo-ed with Rapid Decay or Carrion Beetles to remove non-creature cards in the graveyard, Search could be a powerful card.

C

Chaos Turtle

Foils typically run 4-7 per box, in my experience.

Collation problems seem more evident with the smaller sets.

As long as it's Rhystic Tutors, though, and not (say...) Search For Survivors, that I got three of, I wouldn't complain.

G

galtwish

In the Legacy, Destiny, and Nemesis boxes I got, the foils seemed to be about right: 1 foil rare per box (except for my Nemesis boxes, which had about 4 between the 2 in them them, including P. Tide!), 1-3 foil uncommons, and 3-4 foil commons. However, the collation in these smaller sets is a bit of a problem. This is because foil rares screw up distribution, and in a smaller rare run, you'll tend to receive more duplicates as a result of interruptions. I didn't mind 2 Evincars or Rhoxen (heh), though. 3 Rhystic Tutors? I hope my box is that good!

Erik

M

mogg bomber

It was a good box actually, I got 2 Denying Wind,all the legendary spellshapers,and all the avatars except the green one. I just thought it was strange to get only four foils, because every other box I've ever bought had at least 5 in it.

S

Seeker of Truth

mogg bomber:

Well, consider yourself lucky. I bought a box of Destiny and I got a whopping THREE foils (Festering Wound, Thran Dynamo and Rescue, I think).

Also, I've so far opened up 10 packs of Prophecy (three at the prerelease, six more from the "fat pack", and one from the current issue of TopDeck), and I've gotten three Avatars of Fury. Of course, this isn't a collation problem (except for the two that I got in the "fat pack" packs), but doesn't it always seem that you tend to attract a certain card when you buy expansions?

T

theorgg

It does always seem like you attract certain cards.

I stopped counting donates at 18...

and I'm STILL amazed the deck was so good.

oh yea, I can't forget the flailing manticors. I've nine of 'em at last count. good thing I like them. just ask turtle about my use. :)

I

Istanbul

I've opened up one box, and about another in spare packs now. I've ended up with THREE Avatars of Woe, THREE Greel Mind Rakers, and two Plague Winds.

I guess big black likes me this time around.

A

Almindhra

We (my boyfriend and I) bought 4 boosters...We got

Foiled Latulla

In the box we got:

2 tutors
2 Furys
1 of each spellshaper legend (2 green)
2 Mights
2 Denying Wind
1 White Wind
Rhystic Lightning
Foiled Celestial Convergence

C

Chaos Turtle

Think Cursed Totem...

Hey, Orgg, you think that'll work for those rhystic creatures like Vintara Elephant, Glittering Lion, Ribbon Snake, etc?

Just make a rhystic creature-beatings deck and throw in Cursed Totem to take away their "drawbacks."

Plus... you'll be maindecking a great sideboard card versus Bargain (like anyone ever plays that anymore) and an pretty good SB card versus Replenish (parallaxes won't work with Opalescence...).

T

theorgg

Yea, It'll work, but only the white ones have a powerful enough effect for it to actually be worth it. My flailers deck uses it as psuedo-elfkill vs. stompy and in the emergency that they have a good bit of land.

Is it possible for the white creatures to be utilized to the fullest extent with two or three totems taking up space in the deck?
I noticed that you know how to play white, so I'll leave that train of thought to you.

However, if the elephant was cheaper...