Private Parts!!!

T

train

You dirty minded... - this deals with bags and balls, golf bags and balls to be exact...

Okay - for those of you that don't know, Augusta National is where the PGA(pro golf) plays it's Masters Championship. It is a private Golf Club owned, by I believe 3 guys. They are currently breaking no laws in GA., but are being sued by a women's group because they have no women members... Since they are a private club - do you think they should HAVE to allow women members?

To let you all know - they were considering a woman's application for membership, and while doing so this group began harassing them, so they've put the app. on "hold" foreseeing legal position if a case goes to trial.

M

Mr_Pestilence

What is the big deal here?

Except for a few days in the Spring, this "club" is utterly insignificant and has absolutely no bearing on most people's lives.

So what if it's a good ol' boys club that doesn't want to include women?

Don't women (or any other group of people) have the right to go off by themselves and discriminate as they see fit?

I just don't see why this is newsworthy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It being private, it should do as it wishes.

However, because of it's prominence in golf, certain considerations should be made. If the PGA had guts, they'd just take away the Masters and let the club fade back into its obscurity like so many other clubs.

C

Chaos Turtle

I agree. Private clubs have the right to define their membership. Then again, people have the right to disagree with them and to say so.

This story has gotten blown out of proportion, in my opinion. The only reason it made the national news is the club president's reaction to the threatened boycott, which was to let all of the sponsors off the hook and have the club itself pay the promotional costs (to the tune of something like 10 million dollars...talk about standing up for yourself).