Port and Sivvi banned in MBC....

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

Well, the long and short of it is that Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero and Rishidan Port were banned in Mercadian Block Constructed. Wizards gave some idiotic reasons.

Killer Joe

Yaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooey!
No, Really......Yaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooooooooooey!
Damn Port. I could care less about Lin Sivvi. Wanna see it again?..........Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooey!

S

Spaceman Spiff

tag guard

thats right boy-o, I am sick and tired of port
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooey

S

Seeker of Truth

Y The Alien:

Do you remember the reasons WotC gave for banning these cards in MBC? I'm just curious. Like I ever play MBC anyway...

Yellowjacket and Spaceman Spiff:

You guys need to settle down. These cards are only banned in MBC, not Type II, so you'll still be seeing a lot of both in the near future. Anyway, what's so bad about Lin Sivvi? Port, I could do without, but Lin Sivvi is just the central piece in a dedicated Rebel deck, so what's wrong with that?

Y

Y The Alien

Tag Guard

This is the announcement as sent to people on the Duelist Mailing List. I copied this from a news item on MTGNews.com.

"DCI Banned and Restricted List Announcement

Announcement Date: June 1, 2000
Effective Date: July 1, 2000

Standard

No changes
Extended

No changes
Masques Block

Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero is banned
Rishadan Port is banned
Type 1

No changes
Type 1.5
(All cards on the Type 1 Banned and Restricted Lists are banned in Type 1.5)

No changes
Explanation of Banned and Restricted List Changes

Masques Block
As always, one of R&D's primary goals is to maximize the number of viable deck archetypes in Magic: the Gathering. As Pro Tour-New York demonstrated, the lack of enough viable deck archetypes has caused the Masques Block to stagnate. Rishadan Port is found in nearly every deck. In addition, the "Rebel" deck is considerably over-powered. Therefore, the bannings for this quarter are aimed at lowering the power level of the Rebel deck type and eliminating Rishadan Port from the environment.

Lin Sivvi
The Rebel deck made up approximately 50% of the field at Pro Tour New York (and was an even higher percentage on Day 2). Clearly, this deck was dominating the environment to the extent that it reduced the number of viable deck archetypes. Lin Sivvi was the strongest card in this deck and eliminating it from the environment will help to bring the Rebel deck in line with the rest of the field. In addition, Lin Sivvi's Legend status and propensity to increase game length were also strikes against it.

Rishadan Port
When four copies of a card appear in almost every deck, that card is too strong for the environment. Another good reason to ban Rishadan Port is that it strongly discourages multicolor decks. The pressure against multicolor decks in Masques Block is significant and the Port is preventing a large number of multicolor deck archetypes from being successful."

Personally, I think their reasons are bull. R&D has done nothing but discourage multicolor decks in Masques Block, I agre. But Port had nothing to do with it. Maybe the fact that the best multiland in Masques was Henge of Ramos?? Which was crap.

G

Gizmo

What`s wrong with Lin Sivvi?
FACT: There were more Lin Sivvi`s played than Mountains at PT-NY.

She had to go, or MBC was just pointless as everything was either WWeenie or anti-WWeenie, no other card was as powerful so she completely defined the environment just like Cursed Scroll did for Rath Block. As soon as the WWeenie player hit 6 mana he could remove EVERY Red or Black creature played with his Bringers, it was just too much to play against.

Port, I`m not so bothered about, but Lin Sivvi had to go.

D

Duel

Right. There's a good reason for that, Gizmo. Given red cards in MBC, I'd be surprised if more than 4 mountain were played at the tournament total.

I

igfett

well, sivvi was clearly too good for MBC. not so easy to remove, as some suggest. new copies can be searched for to replace destroyed ones, and then can cycle the dead one back. the deck never runs out. you do run out of removal for it though. rebels are still viable, just not the only good deck, without sivvi. port was in every deck, and any card that good needs to be banned. good decisions by WOTC.

D

Dune Echo

Lin Sivvi would never have been banned if Red had been given some dagone decent burn! If there had been a Lightning Bolt, Incinerate, or Chain Lightning in this set somewhere, Lin Sivvi would not have been a problem. Just my 2 cents...

Oh, has anyone else realized just how strong Task Mage Assembly is? All you have to do get a Glittering creature, Cho-Manno, Mossdog (yay! I finally found a use!), or an untargetable out along with Mana Cache. Think about it, you kill everything they have, everything you have is either untargetable or cannot be killed by damage and Task Mage Assembly is MBC's Masticore. The only problem is this:
RHYSTIC SPELLS. However, if you can get some decent mana acceleration, you will rule the board especially if you can get Citadel of Pain into play along with the Task Mage Assembly. Mana Cache isn't so good with the CItadel out though. Also, I think Task Mage Assembly should replace Masticore in some German Dragon type decks. Think about it...

C

Chaos Turtle

Burn, removal, what difference would it have made? Lin-Sivvi just recycles whatever you kill, including copies of herself; while black and red decks faced permanent removal of their creatures from the game.

I am a little surprised that they left Replenish untouched in Standard...not that I care.

U

Ura

Lin Sivvi:
I can understand why they decided to ban her when shes a core card in Rebel decks. Although rebel will will still be strong it won't be indestructable now that its best graveyard recurrsion is gone. Maybe if red had gotten something GOOD in the block or there was another color with "remove from game" type creature removal it wouldn't be so bad.

Rishidan Port:
:confused:
Why? just because it was in every deck its too powerful? There was hardly a multi-color ability for the block anyhow so that excuse of theirs seems really bogus.
I've never had a problem playing against ports, they slow both people down, but thats it. They don't define the environment like Cursed Scroll or extended Trix decks did.
Maybe tournament judges just don't want to wait for matches to finish and are demanding shorter work hours. :p
Getting rid of Port would speed things up a little, but thats it.