O Tannenbaum [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Last night, I was trying to come up with a Christmas-themed deck to play today, as this would be my last night to get some games in before Christmas. Obvious candidates were some kind of snow-based deck, a gift-giving deck, and a deck that makes non-flying creatures into flying creatures. Those are far from the only possible holiday themes, but they're ones I messed around with back in 2019 in the West Coast Commander League, so I had some prior experience. Well, I was pretty tired and unfocused, and those ideas all seemed like too much effort. My enervated brain struggled with those concepts, abandoned them, and then decided that Wood Elemental is a Christmas tree.

That's right. Wood Elemental. Candidate for the worst Magic card ever. I built a deck around it. I am a millennial. I can do anything I want, and yet the thing I want is not something that someone should choose to do. But I did. I made an 18/18 Christmas tree. I made an 11/11 Christmas tree, but someone blatantly thieved it away from me. I tried to make a 39/39 Christmas tree, but that one didn't work out. Too tall for the ceiling, I guess, and that's a rookie mistake.

Whatever stupid thing I come up for Christmas next year, it can't possibly be this bad. Unless I decide that I want it to be. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Until then, here's "O Tannenbaum." My German is pretty rusty, but I do recall that a "Tannenbaum" technically isn't necessarily a Christmas tree. Whatever. This is America. It's a Christmas tree.

Commander
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking

1 Abundance
1 Animist's Awakening
1 Arcum's Astrolabe
1 Ashaya, Soul of the Wild
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Boundless Realms
1 Burgeoning
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Constant Mists
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Cultivate
1 Early Harvest
1 Elvish Reclaimer
1 Exploration
1 Explore
1 Far Wanderings
1 Finale of Devastation
1 Gaea's Touch
1 Genesis Wave
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harrow
1 Horn of Greed
1 Journey of Discovery
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Life from the Loam
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Mox Diamond
1 Natural Order
1 Nature's Claim
1 Nature's Lore
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 Nylea's Intervention
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Rampant Growth
1 Ramunap Excavator
1 Regrowth
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Scapeshift
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Seasons Past
37 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Splendid Reclamation
1 Springbloom Druid
1 Strip Mine
1 Summer Bloom
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Tutor
1 Three Visits
1 Throne of the High City
1 Tireless Provisioner
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Wasteland
1 Wayward Swordtooth
1 Wood Elemental
1 Wood Elves
1 World Shaper
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Yavimaya Hollow
1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've seen it spelled both ways. Probably kind of like how a lot of old words were spelled inconsistently in English over the centuries? I dunno.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, after digging around a bit, I think the "Tannenbaum" spelling is the official version. The "Tanenbaum" spelling is either just outright wrong or very deprecated. So I'll edit it to that. Thanks, TomB.