New to MtG

B

Boba Fett

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time gamer and have been actively involved in the Lord of the Rings: TCG since 2002 and Star Wars Miniatures since May of 2006 (but have pumped a lot of money into it since).

I was initially reluctant to look into Magic for a few reasons:
1.) Cost of being competitive; I already spend enough on my other two collectibles games, and Magic is a lot more expensive than those.
2.) Nearly all the constructed tourneys I've seen in my area have a lot of poor sports.
3.) I didn't think you could just play Magic for fun.

I finally said, to hell with it, and recently have made a few purchases: a 9ed starter, 350+ commons from Nemesis (got them for basically nothing), a Ravnica tourney pack.

I'm wanting to play Magic just for pure fun though: only with friends and family who share the same ideas that I do. I'm looking at trying to just focus on decks consisting of only commons and uncommons.

I'm hopeing I can get some advice from some veterans from the game.

So I'll throw out my big questions now:

1.) What's the best way to get a good collection of commons/uncommons from various sets? Any good sites, or should I hit ebay?

2.) Taking into account what I'm interested in playing (C/UCs), are there any sets I should just avoid, as in they're a major waste of time peroid?

3.) Is Magic worth further investment if all I plan to do is play with C/UC decks?

4.) I am also considering playing once or twice a month in sealed tourneys; is this advisable for a casual player?

I figure if I really enjoy playing for a few months in just this format and play the game often enough, I might start making some investments in new sets every once in a while (most likely starting with 10th Ed.).

Thanks in advance,

Nick ("Boba Fett")

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

1) You can hit eBay which has auctions for commons/uncommons sets (4 of each card) for roughly $20-30, depending.

2) I think generally the auctions are for recent sets which have all been pretty good. A set you might avoid probably won't be up for auction at this point.

3) I'd say yes, just to keep going with the new cards as an expansion comes out. But again, you'd only spend $20-$30 getting an uncommons/commons set so that's not too bad.

4) Depending on what the setting is - I'd generally say yes, but also practice, practice, practice in building decks from sealed decks so you know what you're doing when "it's for real" (I assume you're talking about a tourney setting?)

P

playstation60

Boba Fett said:
So I'll throw out my big questions now:

1.) What's the best way to get a good collection of commons/uncommons from various sets? Any good sites, or should I hit ebay?

2.) Taking into account what I'm interested in playing (C/UCs), are there any sets I should just avoid, as in they're a major waste of time peroid?

3.) Is Magic worth further investment if all I plan to do is play with C/UC decks?

4.) I am also considering playing once or twice a month in sealed tourneys; is this advisable for a casual player?

I figure if I really enjoy playing for a few months in just this format and play the game often enough, I might start making some investments in new sets every once in a while (most likely starting with 10th Ed.).

Thanks in advance,

Nick ("Boba Fett")

A site I have always liked is www.smedlock.com and www.cardkingdom.com. Both offer various bulk packages where you can pick up just common and uncommon cards. One of them offers that with each of the newer sets that come out, where you can pick up ONLY those cards, instead of packs and boxes mixed with everything. I also recommend going to the auction sites like Ebay.

I don't think there is a single set that could be stated that need be avoided. It depends entirely on your focus during play. Are you artifact heavy, are you creature, or enchantment. All of these questions play in to which sets are going to be best for you.

I really enjoy the game and could not help to contain myself from exploring it entirely. There's so much more to the game than just the common/uncommon cards out there. I commend you for wanting to look beyond just slapping together the most expensive cards and calling yourself a player, but I don't know if I would limit my experience in the game as much as you are by sticking with U/UC decks only.

Anyhow, welcome to the group.