New possible combos with Invasion cards...

D

Dune Echo

I saw these on MTG News and had to discuss them here. Basically, we all know that some of Invasion have been previewed to us so, here are just a few combos other people came up with:

Obliterate: Hmm, something that destroys anything in play except enchantments. So how does one power such an expensive, uncounterable spell?

Let's see... Mana Cache anyone? Mana to cast and possibly mana left over for artifacts... Also, does anyone remember the power phasing and recurring creatures have with global effects? Well, how about using Parallax Tide and Parallax Wave to "phase" out your creatures? Gee, those lands and creatures do come back later, don't they, just dying to stomp your opponent all over. Gee, since your going to lose all your creatures anyway, why don't you get the mana to cast Obliterate by saccing a bunch of them to Ashnod's Altar? Oh, and buy your Saproling Bursts while you can, their value just jumped in a bad way.

Also, if you can get a forest, Skyshroud Cutter, a green card, and Vine Dryad in your hand, you can reset the board and begin whacking your opponent with 3 damage a turn plus whatever else you can do.

Obliterate gets downright evil with some of the older cards: the phasing creatures, Spirit Mirror, sleeping creatures, Land Tax, etc. I'm looking forward to what can be done with this card.

Fact or Fiction: Okay, I'd like to add this one comment to the negative for WotC's R&D, otherwise, I'm very happy with the way this new set is shaping up: Can blue suck for just one damned set, please?! Isn't it obvious that blue is entirely too powerful considering that it has been in every single tournament since the dawn of the game? Yeah, it needs to be there to balance out combo, but come on! Anyway, this card is evil in the way it forces your opponent to guess what your gameplan is. Also, this card could be the new Frantic Search in that it puts stuff in your graveyard (and you do sort of have a choice in the matter).

I laughed my butt off when I saw this suggestion on MTG News' comment posting: What if you can stack the top of your library with a ton of Accumulated Knowledge cards? That'll be a lot of card drawing, while true, it would be very hard to set this up, but can you imagine the look on your opponent's face when they have to choose how to divide the piles?

Any other ideas people?

E

Elrond

You have to be playing B/R/U and have Tsabo Tavoc in play to start it off. You then cast Conspiracy naming Legends and then Donate it to your opponent, you then proceed to beat them for seven a turn or picking off his best creatures for BB. It's not tournament quality, I know, but it would be fun to do in a casual setting.