Nemesis Seals

G

Gerode

Do you think the 5 Seal enchantments or the original instants and sorceries are better?

Seal of Doom - Dark Banishing
Seal of Removal - Unsummon
Seal of Strength - Giant Growth
Seal of Fire - Shock
Seal of Cleansing - Disenchant

Or has this already been discussed here, lurking deep in the ancient thread archives?

S

sageridder

Personally I liked the instants better,they aren't bad tho.

H

Hawaiian mage

The better ones are in bold.

Seal of Strength - Giant Growth ?
Seal of Fire - Shock

I guess they tied, I couldn't figure out if Giant Growth or Seal of Strength was better.

Unless Dark Banishing is a Sorcery...

D

Darsh

Here we go.

Seal of Fire - Shock

And Dark Banishing is an instant.

D

dw51688

I agree completely with Darsh. Some are better but some are worse.

C

Casablanca

Mostly, the choice between the Seal or the Instant depends on the type of deck you're playing. Still, some of the Seals are just plain better or worse than their counter part.

F

fuzzy510

Casablanca's right. The Seals are better in some decks, and the instants are better in others. There are some exceptions: My deck runs 4 Strengths and 4 Giant Growths.

G

Gerode

Sometimes scares people from playing good creatures for quite a while.

Surprise Factor

Surprise factor, and for a less predictable combat advantage.

Seal of Fire - Shock
Good 1st turn drops; I always seem to have 2 in my opening hands with red decks.

Seal of Cleansing - Disenchant ?
Similar to both SoDoom's and Giant Growth's arguments.

D

Duel

Seal of Doom < Dark Banishing
Seal of Removal > Unsummon
Seal of Strength < Giant growth
Seal of Fire < Shock
Seal of Cleansing > Disenchant

Seal of removal and cleansing are all better than their counterparts. Why?

Seal of Removal: When you play blue, the worst position you can be in is tapped out. This can make the other guy pause, even when you are tapped out. Also, it prevents you from getting tapped out. Plus, blue has very few 1 drops.

Seal of Cleansing: Sits there. It doesn't do much, but it gets rid of threats. Almost any non-creature. And it's relaitvely cheap. So, you can tap out against chimeric idols and not worry.

Seal of Fire, Seal of Doom, and Seal of Strength all replace cards that are, to me, the serious combat tricks. Sure, unsummon stops a creature, but these three kill it. They attack only because they don't suspect one or more. Combat tricks are better when your opponent doesn't know you have them.

G

Gizmo

Seal of Fire vs Shock
Seal of Removal vs Unsummon
Seal of Doom vs Dark Banishing
Seal of Strength vs Giant Growth

But it is probably relevent that Dark Banishin is not T2 legal right now, so you have to use the Seal instead. probably more important is:

Seal of Doom vs Snuff Out

The white one is more complicated and neither is straight out better. It depends what you want it against, if removing an enchantment defended by countermagic is your goal (ie, a Waters deck) then the Seal comes down when your opponent cannot really stop it, and simply waits for a target. Disenchant is better in decks that don`t like tapping out and want the surprise. probably Disenchant edges it, but it`s more situational than in any of the other cases.

Seal of Cleansing vs Disenchant

C

Cateran Emperor

I'd say SoF is better because it's a one drop. You can lay it out first turn, then it sits there as a threat. It's not the same case as the otehr Seals, since SoF ALWAYS has a target in response to a Disenchant. Plus, if it's there, they can't counter it later to save a creature.

G

Gizmo

It`s mainly about tempo. You can play the Seal at any point that you have spare mana (often turn1) and can then curve your deck`s mana for the rest of the game without having to leave R asaide toS hock their blockers.
Also cannot be misdirected etc, because it`s an effect - this can be good. Leaving it there forces your opponent to leae mana open to defend it (Boa`s etc) without you having leave mana open to threaten with the shock. Also once the Seal comes down your opponent has to start thinking in terms of defending your next brun spell.

ie - you are holding 2 Shock. Your opponent plays an air elemental. If you double shock it he can trade 2-1 by simply countering your second shock. If you play a Seal and he lets it resolve then he only goes 1-1 if he stops the second shock.

There are lots of little niggly things like that, but mainly it`s about having all your mana available every turn while still having removal.