multiplayer B/R: Death Ascendant

K

krichaiushii

A firm believer in the idea that many quick games are better than a few slow games, I crafted this deck to speed things up amongst my group. Things go much quicker now, indeed!

Death Ascendant

Creatures:
4 Urborg Stalker
4 Sengir Vampire
3 Sanguine Guard
2 Black Knight
1 Thrashing Wumpus
1 Ascendant Evincar
1 Avatar of Woe

Spells:
4 Dark Ritual
2 Syphon Soul
2 Expunge
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Darkness
1 Simulacrum
1 Haunted Crossroads
1 Extinction
4 Flame Rift
4 Sizzle
2 Pyroclasm
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Fork
1 Shattering Pulse

Lands:
11 Swamp
6 Mountain
4 Badlands
1 Shivan Gorge

The only real key to this deck is the timing of the Flame Rifts. Too soon, and I die. I only run 2 Syphon Souls, because any more make me too large of a target (as if the 4 Vampires don't...) The Pyroclasms could easily be Massacres, if I had them.

Opinions welcome. Thanks.

K

krichaiushii

Apparently, responses are based mostly on when the deck is posted. Saturday morning is not a good time...

Anyway, with the advent of a new set, and some trading for a few different cards, this deck runs the following:

The Thrashing Wumpus was traded off and replaced by another Avatar of Woe.

I got the Massacres I needed, and replaced the Pyroclasms, accordingly.

Extinction turned into Plague Wind - more expensive, but also more fitting.

Syphon Souls have been replaced by Forsaken Wastes.

And the Beatdown box set got me a nice foil Vampire.

Void is a definite addition, should I be able to score one or two. But if I Fork it, can I call out another number, or does the number stay the same?

I would consider Hammers and Pyre Zombies, but have none. Besides, Pyre Zombies count for being black AND red, so the Stalkers would do damage to me.

C

Captain Caveman

Nice Deck!

I used to have a deck that was very similiar to yours.

About the only difference's between the decks are: I used to run Soul Burn insted of Flame Rift and
I used Wall of Souls for early defense.

I took it apart though because people really hate Urborg Stalker.(They would gang up on me.)

Have you ever tryed a Black/Blue version? It might be pretty good with Invasion. (Undermine & Recoil)

Caveman

M

Mikeymike

As always, cool deck. Looks mean.

This sucker is screaming for Fervor with 9 creatures that would be nice to have attack the Turn they come into play.

Also, if you want a fast game, you can't beat mass earthquake damage.

In the world of creatures, Tsabo Tavoc would be swell in here. As always, Spirit of the Night is huge but dangerously expensive.

Any reason you're using Sanguine Guard instead of the Hippie (besides the fact your opponents will just hate you more)?

Lich would also be cool and very funny in here when your life is getting extremely low.

K

krichaiushii

To answer questions in order --

Captain Caveman --
Given my normal praise and recommendation of the Wall of Souls, the only reason its not in this deck is because I wanted to be more aggressive, despite the dangers of being overly aggressive in multiplayer games with no defense.

Noone here likes the Stalkers, either, but they are the primary reason for the deck. I LIKE Urborg Stalkers. ;)

I once had a B/U version of this, using blue's countermagic and library manipulation, but it wasn't aggressive enough. Lately though, I've been considering a U/B/R version... the problem being not running any nonblack, nonland permanents... I guess that is a deck for another day.

Mikeymike --

Lich would be cool in any deck, and I deliberated bidding for two on Ebay (like $10 for two last night). I just have yet to set up accounts to do so.

Sanguine Guard was chosen for regeneration. Hypnotic Specters were not considered at all, because I wanted threatening creatures that would only draw fire if I used them, whereas the Specters draw fire by simply being in play... ;)

Fervor's a good idea, but I want to avoid nonblack, nonland permanents, IOT best use the Stalker's ability.

Having been killed off by a Ruptured Skyshroud Behemoth the other day, Rupture might be a better bet. As long as I sac a creature with power greater than 2, I am using my mana more efficiently than an Earthquake of the same power. As far as Rupture goes, Saporling Burst is just some good with that card. 'nuff said!

I have no Spirit of the Night, but would play it if I had one. Tsabo Tavoc is fun as well, but I am thinking the red component of it would result in my taking damage from the Stalkers.

Flame Rifts may turn into Lightning Bolts, just to keep me around longer.

Any other comments?

D

Duel

This deck looks like the deck a guy in our group (evan) plays, that I designed for him. I'll give you the same advice I gave him: Redundancy is god, and bigger is not always better. But smaller never is.

Creatures:
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Sengir Vampire
2 Royal Assassin
2 Black Knight
1 Thrashing Wumpus
1 Ascendant Evincar
1 Avatar of Woe

Spells:
4 Dark Ritual
2 Syphon Soul
4 Snuff out (vendetta, dark banishing, seal of doom)
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Haunted Crossroads
4 Lightning bolts
2 Pyroclasm
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Fork
4 Chain Lightning (Shock will do fine)

Lands:
10 Swamp
6 Mountain
4 Badlands
1 Shivan Gorge