MP - Early R/G Muse-Ping build

M

Mikeymike

I want to have some fun with Seedborn Muse.

The first card that sprouted to mind was Goblin Sharpshooter, as the Muse untaps it for me everyturn. How nice. So I figure I might go the red pinger route - Jeska, Kamahl, uhhhh. Okay so not as many red pingers as I remember.

I also figured Aggravated Assault could be quite strong in here as well. It would give my pingers double use and combined with the Muse it would give me at least 4 pinger uses per round.

I suppose it's mandatory that I run Yavimaya Hollow in here. Gives me regeneration everyturn. Shivan Gorge could be interesting as well.

So here's what I have for a preliminary decklist so far

Creatures 20
4 Seedborn Muse
4 Goblin Sharpshooters
4 Embermage Goblin (worth it?)
3 Molten Hydra
3 Jeska
2 Kamahl

Permanents 5
3 Aggravated Assault
2 Urza's Blueprints (high cost shouldn't really hurt me in here)

Spells 5
4 Naturalize
1 Regrowth

Stuff I'm thinking about
Phantom Nantuko (gets big quickly)
Mine Layer / Quirion Druid (can kill opponent's lands)
Scarwood Bandits / Viashino Heretic
Power Matrix
Whippoorwill / Hurr Jackal
Ring of Gix / Icy
Citanul Flute

Abilities I'd like to have
Tap to gain life
Tap to draw cards
Tap to get lands out of my library
General strong mana acceleration (something I've been having a problem with recently)

The stranger and less frequently seen the card is the more I like it. Keep in mind that none of these quantities are set in stone either, minus the Muse and Sharpshooter.

Thoughts?

J

Jigglypuff

I like the idea a lot. You definitely want to be tapping out on your turn as much as possible to get the full effect from your Seedborn Muses.

On a rules-related note, just remember that creatures are sick unless they have been under your control since the beginning of your most recent turn.

(- Steve -)

T

train

They have summoning sickness.. so they're haste-less...

As for the lands - the land tax creature would be major in getting mana...

As for life - maybe an artifact that gains life- there's one with fading...

Draw cards - jayemdae tome... scroll rack...

M

Mikeymike

Okay guys, hook me up. I'm building this deck tonight for my games tomorrow.

I think I need to run a graveyard removal as its been rampant in our group recently: Phyrexian Furnace or Steamclaw?

Should I run Embermage Goblin, Arcane Teachings, Fire Whip, or some other red pinger?

Jayemdae Tome or Urza's Blueprints?

Think it's OK if I run single copies of various creatures? Thinking Shivan Hellkite, Mine Layer, and Viashino Heretic.

Also, what to do about flyers?

Here's what I'm thinking right now...

Creatures 22
4 Seedborn Muse
4 Goblin Sharpshooters
4 Embermage Goblin (still not nuts about him)
3 Jeska
2 Molten Hydra (very red mana hungry)
2 Kamahl
1 Mine Layer
1 Viashino Heretic
1 Shivan Hellkite

Permanents 9
2 Phyrexian Furnace
2 Aggravated Assault (cute, but not essential)
2 Urza's Blueprints
2 Rejuvenation Chamber (ugh)
1 Citanul Flute

Spells 4
3 Naturalize
1 Regrowth

Mana 25
1 Sol Ring
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Vault
--
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Shivan Gorge
2 Yavimaya Hollow
4 Taiga
4 Shivan Oasis
6 Mountain
3 Forest

T

train

I think I need to run a graveyard removal as its been rampant in our group recently: Phyrexian Furnace or Steamclaw?
Tormod's crypt... or planar void... the void is even better...

Should I run Embermage Goblin, Arcane Teachings, Fire Whip, or some other red pinger?
Goblin Sharpshooter

Jayemdae Tome or Urza's Blueprints?
Tome...

Also, what to do about flyers?
Phyrexian Splicer
Color= Artifact Type= Artifact Cost= 2 TE(U)
Text (TE+errata): {2},{Tap}: Choose one - flying, first strike, shadow, or trample. Target creature with that ability loses it until end of turn and another target creature gains it until end of turn. [Oracle 1999/07/21]

Burning Palm Efreet
Color= Red Type= Creature - Efreet Cost= 2RR MI(U)
Text (MI): 2/2. ; {1}{R}{R}: ~this~ deals 2 damage to target creature with flying and that creature loses flying until end of turn.

;)

C

Captain Caveman

How about Predator, Flagship, Spidersilk Armor or Downdraft?

Have you considered:
Starstorm
Chainflinger
That MM Red Lady Legend that throws fire, the name escapes me.
The Minotaur Legend, same as above

M

Mikeymike

Thanks guys.

OK here's my thinking on specific cards:

Phyrexian Furnace vs. Tormod's Crypt.
I like the Furnace b/c it untaps each turn and when necessary draws me a card - something this deck is light on. Plus the Crypt often just rapes 1 person from the game, making enemies for a couple of games.

Sharpshooter is in there already.

Tome vs. Blueprints...this is tough as I like both for different reasons. The Blueprints is near useless w/o the Muse, the Tome sucks my mana continuously and fights for mana with the aggravated Assault, Molten Hydra (which I'm not attached to), and the specialty lands. I'll probably try 1 of each and see how they do. I've also been eyeing the Planar Portal.

Regarding flyers, I think I'm going to see how the many pingers do first before I include flying defense. Probably a mistake, but I need a feeling out period.

Predator Flagship is going in, at least one copy for now. Its a necessity in case I have to deal with pro-red guys.

Tahngarth (the Minotaur) I initially didn't like because he has to trade with another creature, but he works nice with the Yavimaya Hollow. I think I'll try one.

Starstorm will wipe out my army very cheaply and easily.

Chainflinger I've eyed, I figure I'll see how quickly I get threshold. I like him better than the Embermage goblin so I'm hoping threshold works.

Caveman, are you talking about Latulla? I can't afford the heavy spellshaper cost. She'd be nice though, no doubt.

I'm building it now, we'll see how it does. It's got a ton of vulnerabilities so I'm nervous about it, but I've got time to fix it.

C

Captain Caveman

"Caveman, are you talking about Latulla? I can't afford the heavy spellshaper cost. She'd be nice though, no doubt."

Ya, that's the one. I just couldn't remember her name.

Here's another one. Silklash Spider. That seems powerful in
this deck.

M

Mikeymike

I was having bad luck gold-fishing this last night....I'm actually taking that as a good sign because I was getting some very strange draws. Drop Embermage Goblin (not bad actually) and then draw into another one on the next turn twice - no Seedborn Muses for 4 straight games (poorly shuffled) - missing lands, etc. Usually when I gold-fish the deck does EXACTLY what I want and then putters out during the actual games.

M

Mikeymike

This is my favorite deck in awhile. Hell its got flaws and weaknesses but man is it fun to play.

Current build
Creatures 21
4 Seedborn Muse
4 Goblin Sharpshooters
4 Embermage Goblin (still not nuts about him)
3 Jeska
2 Kamahl
1 Molten Hydra (very red mana hungry)
1 Dwarven Miner
1 Viashino Heretic
1 Shivan Hellkite

Permanents 9
2 Phyrexian Furnace
2 Aggravated Assault (strong when it works)
2 Urza's Blueprints (awesome in here)
1 Magistrate's Scepter (playing with it, kind of cool)
1 Planar Portal (very strong, maybe one more)
1 Predator Flagship

Spells 5
3 Naturalize
1 Regrowth
1 Mogg Infestation (just because)

Mana 25
1 Sol Ring
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Vault
--
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
1 Shivan Gorge (quite good)
2 Yavimaya Hollow (very good)
4 Taiga
4 Shivan Oasis (might drop for a Thawing Glaciers and more basics)
6 Mountain
3 Forest

E

Edge911

I'd hesitate to run 3 Jeska since she's a legend. A basic rule, imo, is not to run over 2 copies of any legend except Braids (since you can sac her to herself).
I have a similar deck except it's based on Squirrel Nest and blue cards like Prodigal Sorceror instead of the red pingers. The deck is really fun and it isn't half bad. The blue might be better because it gives the deck more time to setup it's combos. And trust me that Squirrel Nest works wonders with the Muse.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How can you sac her to herself? If one enters play when another is already in play, the first one will be put in the graveyard as a state-based effect - no time for uses of the stack.

E

Edge911

Originally posted by Spiderman
How can you sac her to herself? If one enters play when another is already in play, the first one will be put in the graveyard as a state-based effect - no time for uses of the stack.
Yes, but if you draw an extra Braids you wanna play. You simply wait till your next upkeep and with your current Braids, Cabal Minion's effect sac you current Braids, Cabal Minion and play the next.
Perhaps you didn't know what Braids does. It makes each player sac an artifact, creature, or land at their upkeeps.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I looked it up when I read your post :) It just wasn't clear before that you were saccing the current Braids to herself before playing the second one. :)

R

Reverend Love

I know this might not be the direction of were'd you like to take the deck buuut.

I was thinking of maybe elves/Seedborn/Kren Negotations

4 Well wishers
4 Llanowar
4 Wirewood Channeler

Few more elves of your liking

Krien Negotations = BOOM!

also you could throw in stuff like Symbotic Deployment, Skyshroud Poacher, Elfhame Sanctuary, Citanul Flute, Smoke, Tectonic Instability, Jungle Patrol, Nemata Grove Guardian, Voice of the Woods, Centuar Glade, Words of Wilding, Dragon Roost (would be good in this deck) and so many more

Gain life, Do Damage, Draw, Make creatures all in the quantity known as a buttload.

Also because it's elves you get get out the gate running which is awlays a plus!

My 2 cents

M

Mikeymike

3 Jeska aren't a problem in here b/c she has a tendency to die very easily. If I've got 1 extra in hand its only a matter time before she bites it and I get to replay it. She's too good not to have on the board.

I built this deck in the past with U/G ping Awakening, and its just not as much fun a R/G. The blue pingers are boring, the red ones are harder to work with but the payoff is greater.

Su'Quata Fire-Eater (or whater its name is) and Reveka, Wizard Savant are the 2 most interesting blue pingers, and neither of them can hold a candle to Kamahl, Jeska, and the Sharpshooter. Well Reveka is pretty cool, but you see what I'm saying.

I like the Squirrel's Nest idea, as one of my favorite tricks in here is getting multiple uses out of the land abilities. My buddy has his Muse running with Rishadan Ports, that's just downright cruel.

Hmm, Pendelhaven would work well also - would help protect 9 of my creatures in here w/o killing my color base.

E

Edge911

If you're looking for fun the red pingers are probably better. If your looking for success blue probably is better, offering ability to get setup.
Jeska dies fast, but I still am shakey bout 3. Unless your versing burns if you're a good player you most likely can keep her out for awhile. I think your also failing to realize Kamahl is kinda expensive, he's worth it, but expensive. Do you not view fast decks as a threat? I think you should run shock or lightning bolt to get rid of earlier creatures. However I can just see this deck getting eaten up by something like a Nimble Mongoose.

M

Mikeymike

Thanks RL, but you're right that is a totally different decklist. That said, I too have given a lot of thought to a Muse-Elf build (started with me wanting to take advantage of the Wellwishers). But I currently I've got a different Elf deck put together already, so I'm probably a ways away from going in that direction.
Unless your versing burns if you're a good player you most likely can keep her out for awhile. I think your also failing to realize Kamahl is kinda expensive, he's worth it, but expensive. Do you not view fast decks as a threat? I think you should run shock or lightning bolt to get rid of earlier creatures. However I can just see this deck getting eaten up by something like a Nimble Mongoose.
Kamahl has yet to really be a problem for me, and if he is its always been the double-red before the 6 mana. The Grim/Vault/Sol RIng with the Muses help out tremendously with the expensive items in here - so much so I might even run Basalt Monolith as well. His biggest problem is how damn vulnerable he is, but he's a necessary inclusion in this deck.

Untargetables are just difficult for me to deal with in general. Big guys are tough as well, but the Flagship, Hellkite, Mogg Infestation (Sharpshooter combo), Kamahl, and Yavimaya Hollow (chump blocking) help some there. I would like to find room for 3-4 Lightning Bolts, but I'm not sure what I'd take out. Molten Hydra, Viashino Heretic (yet to use in about 10 games), and the Sceptre are probably the weakest links right now.

I don't remember if I already mentioned this, but our group mostly plays 2-Headed Giant games, so fast decks don't often dominate (although they can) - it is just harder given the format differences. We've also had a focus recently on 'friendlier' decks, so decks like this one with inherent flaws have enough time to reach their power point. This deck is a 'Johnny' deck through and through.

The next evolution of the deck will be to splash black for Death Pits of Rath, for the Sharpshooter/Pits combo.

T

train

Caltrops could fix the untargetables problem...

Or simoon...R/G, then Sandstorm...

I was going to suggest earthquakes, but then you'd clear your side...