Megrim back?

N

Nightstalkers

I had an idea to enter a T1 tourney with a megrim deck, but soon figured that as you empty your opponents hand, they'll decide to keep it empty before you can use anything to make them take the damage from the megrims. so, I said to myself, "why not make it nastier?" Of course I was stressed out at that point in time and had better things to do at the time, so I let it pass until now.

I figure with the avalability of Underworld Dreams going up, I have a viable deck at last. First of course I was thinking of:
Code:
4x Underworld Dreams
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Mind Rot
4x Warped Devotion
4x Capsize
4x Megrim
22x Land
But this was what I had back then...

Sincerely,
Ranoni Wrae Clarks

J

Jigglypuff

Your deck is also only 58 cards. And it's really hard to play Capsize without some blue mana available.

(- Steve -)

N

Nightstalkers

I always balance my land last, so as to get a good playtest to see what I need most. But I think I'll use double lands like salt marsh to produce the blue.

I can only use one rack. Do I need some more discard for earlier in the game?

Code:
4x Hymn to Tourach
1x The Rack
4x Underworld Dreams
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Mind Rot
4x Warped Devotion
4x Capsize
4x Megrim
4x Salt Marsh
18x Land
51 cards?

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
I always balance my land last, so as to get a good playtest to see what I need most. But I think I'll use double lands like salt marsh to produce the blue.

I can only use one rack. Do I need some more discard for earlier in the game?

Code:
4x Hymn to Tourach
1x The Rack
4x Underworld Dreams
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Mind Rot
4x Warped Devotion
4x Capsize
4x Megrim
4x Salt Marsh
18x Land
51 cards?
Isn't Black Vise the restricted one, or did I miss a major T1 change?

L

lordofatlantis418

Discard, Megrim Decks are fine and all, but the problem that I see in the deck lists is a lack of common defense. Unless you do some damage quick you have a small chance of keeping yourself alive long enough for megrim to do 20 damage. I would suggest throwing in a couple bottomless pits, or maybe some energy fields, maybe a howling mine, or a prosperity. put cards into their hands and yours then screw 'em over with the discards you drew. Drain life might help too. I don't know, it's a good concept, those are just some of my stylings.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Black Vise is the restricted one still. You can have 4 Racks.

If you want to kill solely by Megrim, defense is definitely needed, like Wall of Souls or Diabolic/Chainer's Edict. If you want creatures to complement the kill, Hypnotic Specters and the Order of the Ebon Hand were always quick weenies to keep your opponent distracted.

Might want to include Yawgmoth's Will, to reuse your graveyard, or Disruptive Scepter to have a more permanent way of discarding. Also a reset button is good, like Nevinyarrl's Disk.

T

train

If you're running the blue - braingeyser, or stroke of genius...;)

N

Nightstalkers

I got to tinkering around with the idea and came up with another nasty surprise from the old days...

Code:
4x Howling Mine
4x Chains of Mephistopheles
4x Hymn to Tourach
1x The Rack
4x Underworld Dreams
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Mind Rot
4x Warped Devotion
4x Capsize
4x Megrim
4x Salt Marsh
18x Land
But this came from a deck I'm building:

Code:
4x Cursed Scroll
4x Chainer's Edict
4x Diabolic Edict
6x Swamp
1x Mountain
4x Cinder Marsh
4x Castle Sengir
4x Cabal Coffers
4x Badlands
4x Obstinate Familiar
4x The Rack
4x Paupers' Cage
4x Mangara's Tome
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Howling Mine
4x Chains of Mephistopheles

R

Reverend Love

Some Suggestions

Memory Jar <--- Killer
Urza's Guilt <--- Killer
Merfolk Looter
Cephalid Looter
Anvil of Bogarden
Trade Secrets
Hymn to Tourach > Mind Rot
Standstill -- Win/Win Scenario
Arcane Denial
Fatal Lore
Wheel and Deal <---Killer

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Indentured Djinn might be good beats if you're going in that direction, but the card drawing is risky, and it's UU... Just a suggestion.

T

Troll

Recoil
1UB
Instant
Return target permanant to owners hand. That player then discards a card from his/her hand.

Good in early game, AWESOME if they have no cards left in their hands. Also you could try Wash Out and Man-o-War's in the board.

B

BigBlue

In addition to recoil, Wash Out. With Warped devotion, it works well, you can even do black, only returning the devotion to yourself.

Also Vile Consumption (make them pay a life per creature during every upkeep or sac it).

Something I've been toying with is Warped Devotion with Storm Cauldron. But it works best with Green for mana elves/birds and whatnot.

I was also thinking of a Storm Cauldron, Horn of Greed, Storm Seeker, Vise kind of thing.... Figure they're loading their hands between bouncing lands and the horn of greed (or they are doing nothing). Fastbond in there could be useful too, 1 Life = 1 mana Plus 1 card == Necropotence + Channel for colored mana. But of course that is a 3 card combo. Combined with Cadaverous Bloom for more effect.

R

Reverend Love

BigBlue

I've been toying aroud with the idea of something similiar. The Basis of mine was:

Storm Cauldron
Burgeoning
Phyrexian Tyranny
Howling Mines
Propaganda
Birds of Paradise
Utopian Trees
Moments Peace

And a few more goodies.

T

Tabasco

Rushing River is great with the devotion,

and what about skittering skirge for def. or even offense if opponent is having troubles maybe like 2 will be good or there is always nether spirit that doesnt die.

Chimeric Idol works great for a def. creature.

Just some thoughts

N

Nightstalkers

Hmm.... I was thinking about going with Urza's lands, Underworld Dreams, and Braingeiser :p :D

R

Rooser

If you're gonna run chains of mephistopheles, play with wheel and deal. The results are hilarious, especially when you remember that Wheel and deal is an instant and can be played on their turn AFTER their draw step, thus leaving their hand emtpy, and nailing them for 14+ on the megrim.

Also, if you're gonna be splashing blue, cephalid broker is a good way to keep the megrim hurting even after their hand is empty. And yes, Urza's Guilt is also killer in a deck like this, but might not jive with chains of mephistopheles. I'd combo megrim with chains before I'd combo it with dreams.

Megrim can go the distance if you're creative enough, but some hippies never hurt anybody, (Except for your opponents of course).

In T2/Extended, a good way to go with Broker/Megrim was to add Ensnaring bridge. So depebnding on how you're designing the deck, Ensnaring bridge might be good defense.

I

Istanbul

4x Underworld Dreams
4x Megrim
4x Unhinge
4x Mind Burst
4x Skeletal Scrying
4x Chainer's Edict
4x Cephalid Looter
4x Cephalid Broker
4x Compulsion
12x Swamp
10x Island
2x Salt Marsh

Standard-legal as of Sept. 1st.

R

Rooser

Here's how I do Broker/Megrim. It's one of my personal trademarks. This is for Extended.

Land(20):
Polluted Delta x4
Island x8
Swamp x8

The Goods(16):
Cephalid Broker x4
Megrim x4
Ensnaring Bridge x4
Urza's Guilt x4

Disruption(12):
Duress x4
Addle x4
Cabal Therapy x4

Card drawing that doesn't fill up your hand(12):
Careful Study x4
Breakthrough x4, (One blue empties your hand if you need it).
Sage Owl x4, (Good with Bridge. Draw your one card, fly over for 1, play your card).

You don't need Dreams for this version. It's dead weight really.