Maryland or Bust - by Loco

T

train

This Summer my wife and I determined that we should be able to graduate December 2004, and the big town of San Angelo is not exactly the place to put a Bachelor's of Accounting and Associates of Web Design to work...

We began looking around and trying to find a great place to live, and from previous experience I know that living in tri-county/city areas is a great place to do so....

We also looked into job opportunities and schooling...

That started narrowing down the scope a bit, but in my own preference and for my family, we also don't want to be near major natural disasters - aka earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornados, etc...

Now I know those things can happen anywhere, except for hurricanes(they have to be coming off the ocean at the least)... but that cancelled out Florida and other gulf states, California and the western seaboard, Tornado alley - central US, and currently where we are in Texas, and The northern central US was definitely out of the picture with the negative temperatures they get every year...

we did our research and looked into New Mexico, and Arizona - and there aren't any tri-county areas... Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, was 75 miles apart...

We also looked at:
Austin/San Antonio/San Marcos
Houston/Galveston/Katy
Dallas/Arlington/Ft. Worth
Chicago metro
Pittsburgh
Cleveland, etc...

Looking to the east coast, New York and Boston were promising, but their weather situations, and crime rates turned out to be worse than some places, and the schools up there i didn't seem to be impressed with their statistics...

yes statistics...

Then in looking into school and job opportunities, I would really like to get, at least, a Masters in Architecture, and we started looking at schools... Maryland offers a joint Masters in Architecture and Community Development that I am seriously looking into, and have already had contact with the school...

So we looked into the DC area, as I have a step-brother that teaches at the Catholic university of America, he'll have a doctorates this spring in astro-physics... and realized there were a lot of schools in that area... a lot of schools...

So that got us looking into College Park, Maryland - It was in a good area weather-wise, and had the university of Maryland - but what about jobs...

Turns out, and this job won't be open when I get there, but the UM had a web-masters/administrators position open that grossed 33000+ per year with Cold Fusion experience... good if I have the web experience and can prove my case...

Also turns out that KPMG, 1 of the Big 4 firms in Accounting - It was formally the Big 5, but Arthur Andersen went under(to some extent) with the Enron scandals... so now it's big 4 - happens to be based in Baltimore - according to their web-site. That's a great opportunity for the Mrs.

The schools, crime rate, and cost-of-living were all comparable, and we figured living in that area would provide so much for our family to do once we had our careers...

I may have to get my undergrads at UMB before loking at a Masters or going to UMCP, so either way, we need to be in the area...

So for all the reasons above...

and Spidey:p , we are moving to Baltimore...

What better way to shake up the east coast than for a Loco to be involved???!!!...:eek: :cool:

T

train

Actually Orgg... I think that if I were to introduce Texas Chili into the Northeastern portion of the United States, there could be major environmental repurcussions...

"Our major Story tonight - the Texas Chili introduced to this region, by the man known only as "Loco", has had a cataclysmic effect on our part of the country. Toxic level at sewage treatment centers have caused all operations to shut down until they can be blanket with thermite plasma. Our air pollution has increased by 45%, and the hospitals have never had a gastro-intestinal epidemic like this ever before..."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Where's homeland security when you need it?!!!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you can give me a Texas chili recipe... I always make mine from the back of the McCormick Chili spice bag :)

Hey, good to hear you're moving to Baltimore. I guess you'll narrow down the areas when you visit in the spring? Let me know what I can do to help (aside from sending the overdue phone book :rolleyes: sorry about that).