Magic Monopoly

G

Gizmo

I know that one of my presents tomorrow (ie, christmas) is going to be this: http://www.areyougame.com/images/large/lgTC1999.jpg which is a blank Monopoly set that you can print your own properties and cards for to customise it. I plan on making it into Magic Monopoly only with more than just different names, I want to incorporate some of the abilities of Magic cards into the game both as the properties and in the Chance/Community Chest cards.

The Monopoly board has 8 sets of properties (5 colours of magic, artifact, gold, land) and then the rail stations and utilities and I would love some help in working these out. I want the abilities to make a difference but NOT to take over the game, I want this still to be Monopoly and the main point to still be buying properties and sticking houses on them.

The added mechanic I want to use is that properties can 'tap' to generate an effect and if tapped they don't generate rent if somebody lands on them, and they don't untap until you pass Go. That way I can stick interesting effects on the properties but using them has enough of a downside that it won't turn into a mad effects-fest they'll just add a flavor and a depth to the game. I'm also thinking that for each set of 3 properties the end property which is slightly more expensive will have a 187 style effect not a tap effect, but the 187 will have a more permanent effect.

A couple of examples, written in Monopoly terms:
Twiddle - Tap: tap or untap target property.

Healing Salve - Tap: the next time you will be dealt damage this turn prevent 50 of that damage.

Natural Order - Sacrifice Natural Order

Diabolic Edict - When you purchase Diabolic Edict from the dealer target player sacrifices a property of his or her choice.

And then some of the Chance/Community Chest cards:
Juxtapose - exchange control of target property you control with target property an opponent controls.

Venom - Enchant Property, when enchanted property deals damage to a player that player goes to the graveyard (ie jail) and does not pass Go and does not collect $200

Raise Dead - Get out of jail free.

I'm also thinking of having a difference between 'destroy' and 'sacrifice' where destroying something only mortgages that property, because I think being able to smash properties permanently is WAY too powerful. Even making people mortgage things without getting any money for them might be too strong.

So anyway, I'd appreciate some help in thinking of good properties and good cards for the decks. I know I want to use the four seasons of Mishra's Factories as the railway stations but don't know about the utilities... Here are some I've thought of, I'm trying as much as I can to use famous cards but I think eventually there will be a stage where you end up using filler commons from Masques or something just because the effect fits the card.

**Lands - probably the cheapest set of properties if we use Black Lotus and artifiacts as the most expensive**
Maze Of Ith
Rishadan Port (if we dont use Twiddle in blue)
Library Of Alexandria (Tap, draw a Community Chest Card)
Tolarian Academy (??? any idea for the effect?)
Strip Mine

**Artifacts**
Black Lotus (its the obvious choice for the most expensive property - but what effect?)
Zuran Orb (sacrifice a property: gain $200)
The Rack (if a player has 3 or fewer properties...)
Black Vise (if a player has 5 or more properties...)

**White**
Healing Salve
Swords To Plowshares (187: target player sacrifices target property and gains money equal to it's value and value of any houses on it)
Mother Of Runes (protection from a property type till end of turn/till you pass Go?)
Tariff (as a Comm Chest to pay for properties)
Balance (too strong?)
Repentance
Gerrards Wisdom (gain $20 for each property you control?)

**Blue**
Counterspell (counter target property ability or target Community Chest.Chance card)
Deflection
Impulse
Fade Away
Propaganda
Vesuvan Doppelganger
Clone (I like this - 187: put a clone token into play, you now control two tokens until that Clone token causes you to lose money, when you sacrifice it)
Time Walk

**Green**
Might Of Oaks (Tap: put a hotel on target land, at beginning of your next turn remove that hotel)
Natural Order
Tranquility
Venom
Storm Seeker
Collective Unconscious

**Red**
Stone Rain (tap: destroy target house OR 187: destroy target property)
Game Of Chaos
Fireball (??? effect?)
Lightning Bolt (??? effect?)

**Black** (with black I think we can have the mechanic of paying life( ie money) to achieve an effect)
Diabolic Edict
Pestilence
Duress
Corrupt (tap: deal $20 for each black property you control, you gain money equal to that amount)
Raise Dead
No Mercy
Abyss
Nether Void

**Gold**
?????

Anybody any help you want to give I'd much appreciate it.
:)
?????

G

Gizmo

http://www.theturpins.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/monopolymagic.jpg

This is the board as I've got it at the moment.

??? 1st Land
??? 2nd Land

Twiddle
Counterspell
??? 3rd Blue - Clone?

??? 1st Black
Pestilence - tap: $100 damage to all players
Diabolic Edict

??? 1st Gold
??? 2nd Gold
??? 3rd Gold - terminate? Seeds of Strength?

Stone Rain - Tap: Destroy target house
Volcanic Hammer - Tap: deal $30 to target player
??? 3rd Red

Healing Salve (yes I know Im using Remedy artwork)
Warriors Honor - tap all properties you control get a house till your next turn
Swords To Plowshares

??? 1st Green
Might Of Oaks
??? 3rd Green

??? 1st Artifact
Black Lotus (no idea of effect yet)

??? 1st Utility
??? 2nd Utility

S

sageridder

What about making the utilities like fling?Tap the utility and give a property back to the bank to make target player give you money equal to the properties current value.

G

Gizmo

I dont think I want the utilities to have abilities, like the rail stations wont have abilities but reinforce each other naturally. Although thinking about it that does devalue the railways as properties if everything else has an ability... ok so maybe the railways need a little something, perhaps tapping to count as two railways for working out damage dealt by another railway?

I think the utilities might be a good place to fit in more artifacts as only having two on the board leaves a whole load of unused artifacts from magic history. How about Mana Vault and Mana Crypt? Thematically they both fit the utilities idea. Maybe they tap to generate money you can only spend on purchasing properties/houses/both?

What about the Black Lotus ability? I've no idea what to have here. Sacrifice for $500? But would anybody use that ability and give up having the most expensive property that they paid $400 to get, a net gain of only $100? If you made it sacrifice for $1000 would anybody NOT immediately sacrifice it and bank the $600 profit?

And the other artifact? Chaos Orb? Do we want to encourage people to invest money in the expensive properties with option of sacrificing that investment for a big effect at the right time?

O

orgg

Either Community Chest or Chance cards should be 'playable abilities.' I.E, they go to your hand and are played when you want to play them... The Rack and Black Vise should affect said cards, not properties.

The utilities could allow an extra draw whenever you would draw if you own them, and when someone else lands on them they must discard a card if they can.

G

Gizmo

I'm planning on having Community Chest being, as you said, playable abilities. Chance deck would have more immediately effective stuff and global effects (Game Of Chaos, Pox, Tariff etc). I'll bear that in mind for the utilities. Although I want to introduce holding onto the Comm Chest cards I dont want to overly emphasise that and remove the game from being about buying properties - drawing cards much more often might not be a good idea.

But say, the Utilities were like Jayemdae Tome and Fool's Tome for instance - whenever they deal damage you draw a card? One does CChest one does Chance? or perhaps simply tap to generate that effect as dealing damage sounds very weak? That sounds a bit better than a clunky static effect that doubles up what you get when you land on Chance/CChest. But then I wanted to avoid having too many abilities around...

Thinking the black land left will be Drain Life of some description, maybe $25 Drain. Might juggle the damage charts a bit so you get a $50 Drain, $75 Volcanic Hammer/Stream of Life, and $100 Healing Salve. I'm trying to keep the power levels of the abilities roughly equal, I think the increased value of the properties is reflected in their rent values and the abilities should be about the same.

F

Force of Will Smith

this blows my mind... im so confused.. and... yet the idea is SO COOL!!!..

D

DarthFerret

I agree with FoWS. It is so confusing, but I like the idea. The only thought I had was, while reading what you had in the beginning, an Idea for the Black Lotus ability. (I know you already made one...but..). This would be that everytime you pass go, you increase the amount of $$ you get by $200.00. That way you would not "sacrafice" a property, but also would not be put so powerful that it wins the game right away.

F

Force of Will Smith

i like how you made the colors match up but i have NO idea why the cheapest properties are gaeas cradle and academy!! :D

G

Gizmo

The plan at the moment is to draw up the board in a jpg form that prints out 100% size to stick over an existing Monopoly board, along with customised property cards and Chance/Community Chest cards like Game Of Chaos, Juxtapose, Reverse Damage and including Property Enchantments like Venom, Spirit Link, and Destructive Urge.

Then write it up in an article for Starcity or something and cash in on the hard work.

F

Force of Will Smith

One thing to make this look absolutely stunning, would be to print the names of the cards or their effects on a transparent stock.
That way you wouldnt really mess with the existing images, and you could change and modify rules as you "playtested".. I can see it now..

man that black lotus is too powerful... knock it down to 2,000.. (not sure what u have it do)

or maybe print the rules on the back of the "property"

G

Gizmo

I think Black Lotus is if anything too weak - I mean all it does is give you back $100 above your investment for the property and each house on it. That's not a lot of a bonus when you consider other lands like Stream Of Life just straight out tap to give you about that much life. I think you must have read it wrong, you said knock it down to $2000... actually you only get $2000 if you've got a Hotel on it, otherwise you get less.

The transparency is a good idea, but its probably easier to print drafts than make nice transparent copies.

B

brainfreeze

Candlelabra of Twanos - Tap and tap x other properities of your choice to uptap x target properities

G

Gizmo

Community Chest & Chance Cards 20 of each. Community Chest cards you hold and play when you want, Chance cards resolve immediately and their effects are either a little stronger or more random, making up for not being able to choose when you use them.

COMMUNITY CHEST CARDS
3x Green, Red, White, Blue, Black (1x Enchant Property)
3x Gold
2x Get Out Of Jail...

Venom
Community Chest - Enchant Property
Whenever enchanted property causes a player to pay rent that player goes directly to jail, does not pass go, and does not collect $200.

Fog
Comunity Chest
Prevent all rent charged to you this turn.

Pacifism
Enchanted property does not generate rent.

Destructive Urge
Whenever enchanted property causes a player to pay rent that player must also choose and destroy a house he controls, if he has any.

Deflection
Community Chest
Target spell or ability that targets a single player, house, hotel, or property now has a target of your choice.

Thirst
Enchanted Property does not untap when it's owner passes Go.

Cursed Land - Enchant Property
At the beginning of Enchanted property's owner's turn they lose $20.

CHANCE CARDS (20)
3x Red, Blue, White, Green, Black
5x Go To...

Stormseeker
Chance
Each player loses $20 for each house they control, and $100 for each hotel.

Congregate
Chance
Gain $20 for each house in play, and $100 for each hotel.

Juxtapose
Chance
Choose a property you control and target player chooses a property he controls. Exchange ownership of those properties. If one or oth players does not have a property this card has no effect.

Mana Short
Chance
Tap all properties.

Time Warp
Chance
Take another turn after this one.

Game Of Chaos
Chance
Choose an opponent, toss a coin and choose Heads or Tails, the winning player collects $20 from his opponent and chooses to either end the Game Of Chaos or double the stakes and toss another coin. The game continues until the player who won the last toss of the coin chooses to end it. (For example you play for $20, then $40, $80, $160, $320...)

Lightning Blast
Chance
Lose $100

I'd LOVE more suggestions along these lines... I plan on having 20-30 each of both Chance and Community Chest cards. Simple cards that mimic existing monopoly cards (Gain $50, target player loses $50, Go to..., Get Out Of...) as well as taking magic cards and turning them into Monopoly cards. If Im introducing enchantments I either need Disenchants/Tranquility cards or make the Enchantments self-destruct somehow.

D

depolarization

Counterspell is really powerful...of course.

Terminate seems a little too conditional. Hope you're having fun with it!

G

Gizmo

All the CIP lands are conditional I think - Fireball can be awful or amazing for instance. Theyre built with that random element to them, if your opponent has Mayfair with Hotels on then Terminate is fantastic whereas Diabolic Edict will just take his Old Kent Rd out.