I'm looking for...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know of any more game titles by that guy who made Fool's Errand and/or where to get them? I've played just one other, Hazard Park. There's another called 3 in Heaven but it's for the Mac; anyone know where to get a Mac emulator for the PC?

I forgot the guy's name; if it would REALLY help someone I'll look it up.

W

Whimsical

Oooooohhhhh. That name sorta rings a vague distant tinny bell in my head. Oh, wait. It's a puzzle game. <gasp> I remember now. <groans and looks for the Excedrin to combat the remembered migraines induced by the game>

Designer was Cliff Johnson, if memory serves me correctly. Gawd. That game gave me a bigger headache than trying to map the dungeons in Bard's Tale II. You're a masochist, mister Spiderman sir. :D

There's the Puzzle Gallery by Cliff Johnson, which I think was a prequel of sorts to the Fool's Errand.

And the Mac game was 3 in 1, I think.

Try one of the abandonware sites, especially the highly recommended Home of the Underdogs. If that game is still available for download, then it's there.

Hope that helps! :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cliff Johnson! Thanks, Whimsy! (I can call you, Whimsy?)

Well, Fool's Errand was an AWESOME game. I agree with the headaches, but masochist? :)

Puzzle Gallery is the other name for Hazard Park. Not nearly as good.

I have tried Home of the Underdogs but unfortunately you can't do searches by game author or even publishing company. So I'm looking for other titles by him that I can search under.

Thanks though...

*chuckle* Bard's Tale II...

W

Whimsical

Mister Spiderman sir! :)

Um. If you visit the Home of the Underdogs page ... you'll see this nice area where you can search for a game via title and/or gaming company. Trust me. I just been there to browse for any old RPGs that I've missed.

And you're right. Playing Fool's Errand isn't masochistic. Playing Deus is. And playing the predecessor, Robinson's Requiem. <shudders> That's just plain insane. I played both games by the way. :D

I still have my old math notebook filled with the mapping of the Destiny Knight dungeons. <chuckles> Looking at it now, I wonder how I ever had the patience to do all that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The company option wasn't there before! I swear! ;)

Okay, I just went there and tried it. What "company" are they looking for? I tried under Miles Computing, the publisher, and Synergistic Software, the developer, and Fool's Errand didn't come up for either! What to do, what to do... :(

W

Whimsical

Considering that the Underdog games are all arranged via category and alphabetized to boot...

How about looking under Puzzle Games, heading F? :D

Hope that helps, mister Spiderman sir!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I must be coming off as a real incompetent here... :)

Okay, let me clarify what I've done before even before posting this thread.

I've known about underdogs for about half a year and have searched all of the Puzzle category looking for other games by Cliff Johnson and/or company. I've also looked at another site (though the name escapes me right now) doing the same thing.

On underdogs, I've searched for game author/designer and company. However, I don't have any real confidence that it works (or at least how I think it ought to) because I've typed in major companies like Interplay and have gotten back "none found" results.

So I decided to ask the question here in hopes someone might know of other games or sites I could look at by this guy.

Does that help? :) Oh, you can drop the 'mister' and 'sir'. In fact, you can even call me Spidey! :D

W

Whimsical

It took me around 30 seconds to find "Fool's Errand" on the Underdogs page... The page the game was on had links leading to both "3 in 1" and "Puzzle Gallery" (although I don't think Underdogs has a search engine format based on game designer).

On a side note, typing in major companies like Interplay et al will NOT work. Home of the Underdogs is dedicated to one thing ... keeping underappreciated games alive so that fans can wax nostalgic when playing them. Ergo, you won't see any major Lucasarts titles or any of the later Ultima series. :)

By the bye, the "Fool's Errand" page on Underdogs also has links leading to sites dedicated to the game. If you can access that page, then your troubles will most likely be solved. :)

Happy hunting for migraine-inducing games ... Spidey. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, I guess we should really chat about this since we're the only two talking about it...

Okay, so here's the summary: Cliff Johnson does Fool's Errand, Puzzle Gallery, and 3 in 3 (I looked, that's what's called). I can't find any more under the Puzzle section and having no idea on further titles, can't search for them by name.

I will try clicking on the link to get to the page dedicated to the game. Thanks!

I thought Interplay should have worked because though it's a major company, it's gonna have titles that it doesn't support anymore. I also used it because right on the Fool's Errand page there was another game from Interplay so I figured it should come up. *buzz*

Have you tried searching by company? If you got good results, what did you use so I can see what 'type' of info they're looking for?

W

Whimsical

Company searching? Nahhhhh...

I tend to either know the game I want to look for (on RARE occasions) OR I just browse the sections I favor (like RPGs, Strategy, and War) in search of any new stuff Underdogs has put up.

So how's the quest for migraines going? ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't really had a chance to look yet (work picking up :)). At least regarding the link on the Fools Errand page. I'm pretty sure I checked all of the puzzle category and didn't see anything else. And I haven't been able to look for other OOP websites.

Also I've been playing Baldur's Gate at home :) so I probably won't be checking from home (also have a crappy ISP).

I'd like to try 3 in 1 but I need a Mac emulator... gotta search for that...