I wanna see if I should buy a box or not

F

FoundationOfRancor

So. With the pre realease over, whats the verdict on the new set? How is it then MBC-6 enviroment?

I

Istanbul

Let's drop the rares into categories.

GOOD:
Blessed Wind
Celestial Convergence
Mageta, The Lion
Mercenary Informer
Sheltering Prayers
Alexi, Zephyr Mage
Denying Wind
Troublesome Spirit
Greel, Mind Raker
Infernal Genesis
Plague Wind
Rebel Informer
Rhystic Tutor
Keldon Firebombers
Latulla, Keldon Overseer
Veteran Brawlers
Dual Nature
Jolrael, Empress of Beasts
Mungha Wurm
Squirrel Wrangler
Vitalizing Wind
Keldon Battlewagon
Well of Discovery

Total: 27

MEDIOCRE:
Heightened Awareness
Psychic Theft
Shrouded Serpent
Searing Wind
Elephant Resurgence
Forgotten Harvest

Total: 7

BAD:
Jeweled Spirit
Samite Sanctuary
Overburden
Bog Elemental
Coffin Puppets
Endbringer's Revel
Fickle Efreet
Search for Survivors
Task Mage Assembly
Copper-Leaf Angel
Wintermoon Mesa

Total: 11

In other words, this set is pretty solid!

S

Seeker of Truth

...the general consensus among the people at the prerelease was that this set rocks during sealed deck. It also has tremendous pack-opening appeal, as a third of the 45 rares in the set are either a wind, an avatar or a legendary spellshaper. However, there is also a general consensus that this set isn't really that strong in Constructed deck events due to the extreme expense of the cards (in terms of mana and drawbacks, of course). Plus, many cards in this set require land sacs, or can be countered if an opponent pays so much mana, or require all your lands to be tapped, so I think that, at least until Urza block rotates out, Prophecy will not see much play time except in certain decks that can either churn out a lot of mana or benefit from having little or no available lands, or destroy all opposing lands.

Still, I wouldn't pass up buying a box, either, at a reasonable price. This set still has the potential to be incredibly strong, although I'm not certain if the strength is in the rares or in the commons.