I Got Word of a Settlement that Needs Our Help. I'll Mark it on Your Map [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
As soon as I saw the Preston Garvey card spoiled, I knew what I had to do. This deck isn't a labor of love. It's not really powerful and maybe it's not even fun. That's not what any of this is about. I must do my duty for the Commonwealth Minutemen and for auras that go on lands. Also, another settlement needs our help. I'll mark it on your map.

Commander:
1 Preston Garvey, Minuteman

1 Abundance
1 Abundant Growth
1 Academy Rector
1 Aggravated Assault
1 Argothian Enchantress
1 Arid Mesa
1 Auratog
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Barbed Field
1 Beast Within
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Candelabra of Tawnos
1 Consecrate Land
1 Crop Rotation
1 Dawn's Reflection
1 Destiny Spinner
1 Earthcraft
1 Earthlore
1 Echoing Deeps
1 Eidolon of Blossoms
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Eternal Witness
1 Fertile Ground
1 Finale of Devastation
1 Footfall Crater
1 Forbidden Lore
4 Forest
1 Generous Gift
1 Genesis
1 Gift of Paradise
1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity
1 Harrow
1 Heartwarming Redemption
1 Hostile Realm
1 Hot Springs
1 Jetmir's Garden
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Knight of Autumn
1 Market Festival
1 Marsh Flats
1 Maze of Ith
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mother of Runes
2 Mountain
1 New Horizons
1 Nylea's Presence
1 Open the Armory
1 Overgrowth
4 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Promise of Loyalty
1 Rancor
1 Reconnaissance
1 Regrowth
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Replenish
1 Riftstone Portal
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Sanctum Weaver
1 Savannah
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Seasons Past
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Serra's Sanctum
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
1 Sol Ring
1 Songbirds' Blessing
1 Spawning Grounds
1 Spike Weaver
1 Spore Frog
1 Squirrel Nest
1 Starfield Mystic
1 Sterling Grove
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Sylvan Library
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Timeless Witness
1 Trace of Abundance
1 Unbridled Growth
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Verdant Haven
1 Wasteland
1 Wellspring
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Wild Growth
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

1 Yavimaya Hollow

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Played this deck Wednesday night. It was fun. I was in a pod that happened to consist entirely of decks helmed by commanders from the new Fallout precons. People were doing some powerful stuff, but I was mostly able to protect myself. Between my deck's plethora of land-enchanting auras and Preston's settlement-making triggers, I was able to get auras on all of my lands, then use Aggravated Assault to loop attacking with Preston. Only one opponent was open, so this couldn't kill the whole table. But because I had Maze of Ith, I could continue the loop and stack more settlements on my lands, then use Destiny Spinner to turn my lands into huge, trampling attackers. It was at this point that one of my opponents decided to cast Path of Exile on Preston. Technically, by the time he decided to announce this, I could have argued that it was effectively too late. But he only waited because he didn't know what was going on, so it felt like a cheap play. I didn't want to win in on some technicality like that, and it was actually tricky to suss out where to "let" him interrupt me, because ideally it would have been right away before I got a single attack in with Preston, but that would have been basically been me using my own insight against myself and in favor of my opponents. So we arrived at an awkward point of me getting settlements on all my lands, but not getting to turn them all into creatures.

The same opponent that thwarted me with Path to Exile tried to finish me off with commander damage from Dogmeat, but I had enough mana to activate Spike Weaver. The next opponent hit me hard, but I was able to keep Mothman from damaging me thanks to Maze of Ith. And if the next opponent didn't do anything to stop me or kill me, I could have tried to go infinite with Aggravated Assault again. He used Ruinous Ultimatum, then spent the next couple of turns picking us all off. I was in the worst position after the Ultimatum, but managed to save myself from dying to radiation damage, clinging on at 4 life. When he attacked me for 6, I was only able to block 2 of it, so the attack was exactly lethal. The Commonwealth Minutemen fell in battle that time. But they fought well.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Serra Ascendant is a Magic card and is legal in this format. I played this deck last night. Didn't have a lot going on initially other than my first-turn Serra Ascendant. The use of Heartless Hidetsugu with Basilisk Collar fundamentally changed the dynamic of this game after some initial skirmishes. I was able to use Spawning Grounds to build up an army of tramplers. Could easily have lost if the other players had behaved differently, but none of us were really sure how to deal with Heartless Hidetsugu. Ended up trampling over the table with my beast tokens.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Had a crazy game with this deck. One of my opponents cast Wheel of Fortune followed by Wheel of Fortune. He did this on purpose (bidding 0 life to Wheel of Misfortune). This dumped a bunch of cards into my graveyard. I used Replenish and suddenly had a board full of enchantments. This was good for me, but my opponents had some strong board states too. One of my opponents had Intruder Alarm, and I was able to combo off by enchanting a basic land with Spawning Grounds, turning that land into a creature with Destiny Spinner, then also using Destiny Spinner to turn my land enchanted with Barbed Field into a creature. Every time Spawning Grounds created a token, Intruder Alarm would untap both lands, letting me ping my opponents to death. One opponent was able to fetch Spine of Ish Sah in an attempt to stop this (I had Sterling Grove, but he was still able to target one of my enchanted lands). I could have used Earthcraft to restart the loop at instant speed, but I forgot about that line and simply used Hall of Heliod's Generosity to get my enchantment back, drawing into it with the Eidolon of Blossoms that I also had. So yeah, Preston Garvey didn't even have to make an appearance. I won with someone else's Intruder Alarm. Amusingly, that seems to be a recurring theme at this local game store (I've been at multiple tables in which a player won using another player's Intruder Alarm).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
How was I not running Wasteland in, of all things, a Fallout deck? Oops. Fixing that now...

-1 Yavimaya Hollow
+1 Wasteland