History is repeating itself

Ferret

Staff member
Last year (or was the year before?) I got back into Magic by downloading Magic Arenas. It's a lot of fun, but like playing in a game store, you're going to find a lot of folks that think that they're competitive playing and you will usually see the same three or four decks over and over again. Nothing new there. This has been going on since The Duelist wrote that article about "The Dojo Effect"...

What's annoying is that their forums are just like The Dojo's forums were. A handful of supposed "Pros" think that they're the only voice of the game and will react rather harshly if someone dares to disagree with them. Some even have the audacity to think that casual players are some kind of minority that the game's makers aren't catering to.

Sad really.
Thoughts?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's on every game forum, that the "vets" (and/or paying players, which are not necessarily the same people) think they know what's best for the game and their voice is the only one that matters. Probably it's like that everywhere, like in real life at a game shop or hobbyist or whatever. Then it depends on how many there are, whether it's just one or a handful or they are the majority which sets the tone for the forums...

Essentially, it's a fact of life. So it's up to you if you want to stay and bear it or perhaps be an agent for change, or leave and not put up with it :)

Ferret

Staff member
A funny thing happened to me today. Someone was posting on the Arena forums using harsh language and being terribly confrontational. Unfortunately, his English was a little on the broken side. I pointed out that I had trouble understanding him and that English was probably not his first language. So, he gets mad and reports me (and posts he did that). So, I get a warning from the Arena admins. Funny. It's the first time in over thirty years of online posting that I've ever gotten a warning. I should be mad, but I'm not :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
A funny thing happened to me today. Someone was posting on the Arena forums using harsh language and being terribly confrontational. Unfortunately, his English was a little on the broken side. I pointed out that I had trouble understanding him and that English was probably not his first language. So, he gets mad and reports me (and posts he did that). So, I get a warning from the Arena admins. Funny. It's the first time in over thirty years of online posting that I've ever gotten a warning. I should be mad, but I'm not :)
Reported!

Shoe

I think this ties into the reason I logged back in here after a huge hiatus. WOTC has announced that most games of magic played are casual, but almost all online platforms, social or otherwise are geared at the competative player. This forum fills a much needed niche and I'm glad to be a part of it.

I basically quit playing on arena, tired of the same, over tuned decks creaming me every game. In theory it's an awesome platform, but in practice, it needs like an invite thing (which I think is in the works?).

That being said, most of the fun in magic (for me) is sitting around the table shooting the shit and politicking. I dont even play 1v1 matches of magic any more if I can help it

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
What forum are you talking about? I started with Arena a few months ago, mainly to see if it was a way to teach my 7 year old how to play the lovely game of Magic. While the chat in MTGO could be toxic, in Arena there's so little interaction it gets boring fast. YMMV.

About casual vs competitive, I see this heated discussion a lot if the topic is the EDH ban list. Sad times.