Heroic sacrifices?

E

evan d

I've been thinking about a flavorful card, Either an enchantment, or an artifact like phrexenian ones.

It would have an ability like "0, sac a creature: destroy target creature". Probably should be non-token creatures. If artifact, atleast an activation cost.

I can't make card images.

Any thoughts?

E

evan d

Well kinda. I am thinking of like the hero sacrifices for the good of another (you), by dieing. Like the cheesy stuff you see in movies.

E

evan d

Attrition is closer to what I was thinking. Those are kinda what I mean, but they are sacrificed for the prevention of the damage, not the elimination of the source.

Its the moment when you know the person is going to die by charging in, but they do it any way, just to kill off a few more of the enemy.

J

jorael

That sounds like giving it a power boost and trample. Or something like Blood Frenzy.

Something red sounds more in flavor with heroic sacrifice (although Greater Good is a green card :)). Perhaps a red enchantment that does something similar to Blood Frenzy but can only target a creature you control?

Heroic Rage (2RR)
Enchantment
1R: Target attacking or blocking creature you control gets +4/+0. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat.

L

Limited

jorael said:
Heroic Rage (2RR)
Enchantment
1R: Target attacking or blocking creature you control gets +4/+0. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat.Use this ability only once each turn
Maybe really crappy now, but the other was way broken..

L

Limited

jorael said:
Heroic Rage (2RR)
Enchantment
1R: Target blocked or blocking creature you control gets +4/+0. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat.
How about this one?

J

jorael

Uhm, yeah the use only once each turn is necessary. Perhaps change it to: "use this ability only once each turn on a creature not yet targeted by Heroic Rage". That way you can use it more than once each turn, but not on the same creature.

The second change makes it also less broken, but that way you could just chump block anything with a 1/1 creature and kill even a Polar Kraken!

Hmm... maybe this card isn't that crappy when you can only play it once each turn. I mean, you can chump kill a Blastoderm with a Frostling that way. I'd say that Limited first change makes it a good card. Fun, usable, not too broken:

Heroic Rage (2RR)
Enchantment
1R: Target attacking or blocking creature you control gets +4/+0. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat. Use this ability only once each turn

E

evan d

Heroic Vengence

1WG

Whenever a legendary creature you control would be sent to the graveyard, you may remove it from the game. If you do, destroy target creature. This has no effect if it died because of the legend rule.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Why not just add a tapping function to the enchantment?

Heroic Rage (2RR)
Enchantment
Tap: 1R: Target attacking or blocking creature you control gets +4/+0. Sacrifice that creature at end of combat.

It can be abused, but not as much.... hehe

Or make the attacking creature have to be assigned a blocker, since you want it to kill an opponents creature, (or at least try)
"Target blocking or blocked attacking creature......."

J

jorael

Why let a enchantment tap? Not one enchantment in Magic does that.

Your second suggestion has already posted by Limited ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

I'll take a stab...

It seems like you want a permanent that enables creatures to give up their lives to eliminate opposing creatures that would do you harm.

So I suggest:

Martyrs' Devotion 1WW
Enchantment
2W, sacrifice an untapped creature: Destroy target attacking creature.

If you don't want mana in the activation:

Martyrs' Devotion 2WW
Enchantment
Sacrifice an untapped creature: Martyrs' Devotion deals damage equal to that creature's power to target attacking creature.

or

Heroic Devotion 1WW
Enchantment
Sacrifice a legendary creature: Remove target attacking creature from the game.

Would one of those get at the flavor/effect you're seeking?

E

evan d

Flavor the third, effect the first. The third is only useful in a legend deck, and those ussually fail to perform.

This I still like. It has the part of the cliche where they die, Is card advantage, and fits in with a legend deck colors.

Heroic Vengence

1WG

Whenever a legendary creature you control would be sent to the graveyard, you may remove it from the game. If you do, destroy target creature. This has no effect if it died because of the legend rule.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, it's your card, but I think the effect you made is definitely white (or white-black) and "Remove a legendary creature you control from the game: Destroy target creature" seems to me to be the most elegant wording for it, since you can do it in response to anything that would kill your dude that isn't a state-based effect (like that legend rule).