Help Wanted: Ritual

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From today's Gamespy newsletter:
Help Wanted: Ritual - Prophet
Ritual Entertainment passed along a note to let us know that it is looking to fill a number of positions to work on a current (and undisclosed) game project. The development studio that brought you SiN is on the hunt for professionals brave enough to fill the following positions:
  • 3D Artists / Animators
  • 3D Environmental Artists
  • 2D Texture Artist
  • 3D Character Artists
  • Concept Artist
More information is available in the Help Wanted section on Ritual's website.

N

Notepad

Nobody ever needs creative writers. Except of course Blizzard, or crappy co-op garage projects (worked on one and never will do that again). Its like all these people think is that you just need cool maps and models. They never think that in order for a game to work, it needs good story and dialogue, too.

N

Notepad

From what I saw of a large (maybe 20 or so people) team coming together of all volunteers, I was the only one who all-out wanted to do story. Honest story: Everyone else submitted stuff along the lines of "I drew this while bored in science class, came home and made it into a 3d model, and here it is. We need it in the game."

No name, no reason why its in the game. Just "it looks cool and I just made it, so the new factor makes it even more cool"

Maybe actual business-controlled teams are better-run, but the team I was on was totally going against the developed storyline all the time. The best any of the modellers and coders could do for storyline was "Uh, there's a war between humans and aliens. We'll just borrow a ton of names of insects and Egyptian rulers from the encyclopedia to name everything, which makes no sense, but is easy and will be cool."

Argh...

Honestly, its not the "daily minimum requirement" of necessity for game design, but it does need to be there if you don't want to look like morons.

That, and if you want to keep some "just drew this in detention" giant dildo-shaped robot from getting into the game. (Honestly, that was one submission and it almost made it in.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, that's why I said "might". A lot of reviews of games from my gaming mag mentions lack of story...

N

Notepad

I'm glad storyline is now looked at as something important to a game.

Days used to be when you just picked up Pong, or Pacman, or Super Mario Bros, and a six-sentence (if even that) explaination of the game's scenario was all you go before heading off.

Then of course game the wonderful RPGs. I remember Final Fantasy as the first American game to feature a 40+ page rulebook, and a hearty few pages were given to story, rather than the standard six sentences or so.

:D :D

Not only is it great for the poor writers behind the project, but it does a lot for the industry in pushing games into being recognized as a type of alternate artform...like movies...

(though those days are still a long way off)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's an evolving type of thing. As you can convey more detail on the screen, instead of simply being geometric shapes ala Pong/Breakout/Asteroids, you want to develop more of a background story.

Not only is it great for the poor writers behind the project, but it does a lot for the industry in pushing games into being recognized as a type of alternate artform...like movies...
It's slowly getting closer... some colleges are now offering classes and maybe degrees in computer game design.

N

Notepad

College is that thing where you can get money from the government to play Magic, right?

So you can do that AND get to play/make video games? Sweet! Custard's Revenge II shall soon walk the earth!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From today's Gamespy newsletter:
Game Design Scholarships - Prophet
High school seniors and international students interested in a career in the video and computer game industry are now invited to apply for scholarships from The Art institute of California - San Francisco. Students may apply the scholarships toward tuition in the school's bachelor degree programs in Game Art & Design and Visual & Game Programming. Scholarship awards are based on the quality of projects submitted by high school seniors who must demonstrate ability and commitment to studying in the school's programs. Students may qualify for one of up to nine full-tuition scholarships of up to $70,000 each, or one of a variety of partial scholarships depending on submissions. Learn more by visiting the link above.

N

Notepad

Money for playing video games??? :eek:

Man, if I get that I can get a WHOLE LOT of Stone of Jordans off eBay for my Diablo II account!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
From Monday's Gamespy newsletter:
Ritual Hiring: Lead Tester
Aramo | 9:46 | Industry Buzz

Ritual Entertainment is looking to hire a lead tester. At least two years of quality assurance experience is required. For more information on the job and Ritual, hit the link above.