Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Only xmas is associated with eating here. I guess that has something to do with our protestant heritage. In the south we have some catholics who celebrate carnival, but that's mainly booze. National holidays and sports don't mix here anyway. And our national holidays are all religious, besides King's day and Liberation day. I believe the Netherlands has the smallest number of national holidays in Europe.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I believe the Netherlands has the smallest number of national holidays in Europe.
You just don't have enough corporations marketing and commercializing your holidays ... :eek:
You have 9 official holidays and the US has 10.....

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I had no idea how you got to 9, so I looked on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_Netherlands

The list is a bit confusing, since some holidays consist of two days (which, as far as I know, is typically dutch): we get two days of Easter, Pentecost and Christmas. The first day of Easter and Pentecost is always on a Sunday though, so I'm not counting that. Christmas definately is two days off though. But Good Friday, St. Nicholas and Liberation Day don't mean you get a day off. So it's actually 7 days off. Unless you work in a store and work on a sunday, then you do get a day off on the sundays of Christmas and Easter... but supermarkets and furniture stores are open on the mondays of Christmas and Easter.

I just recalled that for many years the final of the national football cup (we have a cup and a competition, which is not the same thing) was at Ascension Day, but a few years ago the final was moved up in the calendar so it wouldn't be weeks after the end of the competition. Nobody knows why Ascension Day exists anymore.

Anyway, my point was that we don't have a lot of holidays besides religious holidays. Only King's Day is a holiday. Many other countries have something like Labor Day on the 1st of May for example, but we don't. Some countries celebrate the end of WWI, but we don't (since we dodged that). There's no unification day (because we didn't get invaded by Russians), no discovery day (because we're not in the new world), and nobody that ever got shot is worth remebering, apparently. There's a a lot of commercial crap pushing festivities like Valentine's day, Mother's day and Father's day though, and even Halloween has taken root over the last decade or so.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I had no idea how you got to 9, so I looked on wiki:.
I was talking about only official national holidays, not days off. The rest are only celebrated by certain people (Valentines, Mothers, Fathers, etc) .
You do have Liberation Day as a national holiday that is non-religious.
Halloween is a great seasonal celebration here in the states, but not a national holiday..

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
To me, holiday means holiday: "A holiday is a day set aside by custom or by law on which normal activities, especially business or work, are suspended or reduced." Unfortunately this disqualifies Liberation Day as a holiday in my book :'(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Well then most of the Holidays over here would be disqualified, since most businesses are open during them. Heck they make big special sales during them now a days.