Graveyard Shift

J

Judecca

Can anyone please iform me what a "Graveyard Deck" is and how to precisely design one?
Thanks Alot!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, waht I think you mean is a resurection deck. What it does is get big cretures in the graveyard by discarding them, and then putting them into play somwhow, without paying there casting cost.
Example
Turn one: mountain, Kris mage
Turn Two; 1T: deak 1 to u, discard avatar of woe
Turn three: Cast search for survivors

F

Fire Slinger

Avatar of Woe decks are big where I'm at. You somehow dicard the Avatar and then bring it back into play. Here are a few samples.

turn 1: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Hidden Horror, discard the Avatar of Woe.
turn 2: Swamp, Exhume, bring the Avatar of Woe into play.

Another way is to not play anything the first turn, discard the Avatar of Woe. On the second turn, the lay the Swamp, cast Dark Ritual, Exhume, bring out the Avatar, and then 1 mana burn or cast a 1cc spell.

Hope that helps.

Z

Zadok001

'Graveyard' decks, neh? Well, there are options fitting that name that aren't ressurection decks, too! For example, a deck designed by a friend of mine, who goes by 'Duel' on these boards, is meant to use Worry Beads to drop a goodly portion of its library into the graveyard, then Yawgmoth's Will the whole thing up again, and win with whatever it pulls out.

Basically, any deck that utilizes the grave as a resource as well as everything on the playing field can be called 'Graveyard.' That includes, but is certainly not limited to, Living Death/Survival of the Fittest decks, Sliving Death, Recurring Nightmare, Fluctuators/Songs of the Damned/Drain Life, etc...

"I am all that is, and shall be- No, wait, that's the other dead guy."

F

Firestorm

I used to have one of these using wurms, dragons, and lord of tresserhorn as discard stuff for spellshapers, then use Animate dead to ge them into play real cheap. I stopped using it because of Devout Witness.

M

Mikeymike

One thing that's very important to keep in mind using a Recursion/Ressurection deck is that cards that would normally seem to have a painful effect b/c you have to discard can now be abused to help set up your graveyard.

For example, for a Black/Blue deck you can use blue cards that allow you to draw like crazy but discard for each use (like Mental Discipline, Merfolk looter *AWESOME CARD*, Windfall, Forbid, Frantic Search, heigtened Awareness, etc.) with big bad creatures.

Make sure you discard the big guns, you'll need maybe 6-12 big guys with the rest of your deck made up of defensive cards (mass removal, etc.), graveyard fillers and graveyard abusers. Other cards to think of, if you are playing with Exhume or Living Death, you'll want to consider cards that remove your opponent(s) graveyards from the game like Tormod's Crypt, Rapid Decay and Phyrexian Furnace.

If you don't know what some of these cards do, go to http://www.yavapaiopen.com to check out their useful card database.

Hope this helps