Got Portal?

M

Mr_Pestilence

All the hype is about the bannings. Well, whatever - get ready for facing Tooth and Nail every round in Standard.

But the other announcement was more interesting to me - all Portal cards will now be legal in Vintage, starting in October.

Since these cards were never meant for tournament Magic, most people gave them a pass when they appeared. Worse, P3 was never meant to sold in the US at all.

The question now is - will WotC reprint these sets? I think we should begin a petition here and now to have WotC reprint these sets.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think they finally legalized them because people were asking them to. That might sound like common sense, but I don't believe that those cards will impact the format. Some of them are decent but none of them that were not already reprinted look like Vintage bombs. Legacy is slower and might be more friendly to Portal (presumably the cards will be Legacy legal as well). Some of them have potential like Jungle Lion, Denizen of the Deep, and Goblin General (although it's not like Goblin King sees that much use himself). I don't expect Portal to make a significant impact on either format...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have absolutely no idea how Portal might impact Vintage. I don't even know the cards.

But I don't think it's worth it to petition to reprint the cards. Surely they can be found somewhere online... plus I think I have a couple boosters that were included in old Duelists if someone wants to trade for 'em :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I did forget about the tutors...

Personal Tutor (a sorcery version of Mystical Tutor) and Imperial Seal from Portal: 3 Kingdoms (a sorcery version of Vampiric Tutor) are both restricted in Vintage. Imperial Seal is also banned in Legacy.

Personally, I think this might be a bit overcautious. The Mirage block equivalents of these cards are good because they are instants. A tutor is a tutor, after all. Maybe I'm being too skeptical. Maybe they did some real testing and have reason to believe that these cards would be problems...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Spidey: I realize Portal cards can be found online, but have you checked the prices? Imperial Seal goes for $80, Zodiac Dragon for $200!!!

N

Nightstalkers

hee hee hee....

And to think I just got one of the cardshop owners to start up T1 tournaments up here. It's going to a cold day now that I get to use my complete nightstalker deck to its full advantage...

That is if I don't opt to play my 1 turn kill deck instead.

Great move, they seem to have read my letters.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. P: Nope, I haven't. They go for that much? How many cards were printed then? That doesn't sound right, that previously non-tourney legal cards command that much of a price (unless the price jumped that high when the announcement was made, but still) :confused:

O

orgg

Seal is up to a hundred and fifty+ on ebay... for the more common Chinese version.

Overall, there's mabe ten cards that really will have any effect on the game. One of those, though, is Jungle Lion, a 2/1 green creature for G that cannot block.

Hmmm... Guess my bid for a block of Portal from Train just became totally off the mark. :p

I know the printrun for Three Kingdoms was very low, and that English was printed one-fourth as much as Chinese.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't remember if I traded away my good Portal cards or not. Oh well, none of them are amazing anyway, although I wouldn't mind having an Imperial Seal--so that I could sell it and buy more dual lands!