Diablo II accounts

A

Apollo

My little brother plays Diablo II online all the time, and he says that someone just hacked into his account and changed the password, effectively locking him out. I don't play the game, so I don't know much about it, but he's pretty pissed. Does anybody know anything he can do about it? Someone he can tell, maybe? Anything?

C

Chaos Turtle

There is nothing at all that can be done about this, unless Blizzard decides to reverse their long-standing policy on this issue. The trouble of course is that anyone can claim to have lost their account to a hacker and request a password, so the best course of action is to simply take a hands-off approach.

The real issue is, how did it happen? To my knowledge, the most common way for this to happen (other than naive players giving away the information depsite Blizzard's insistence that players never to do it) is via a trojan that records and sends a record of your keystroke to the trojan's distributor.

Probably the easiest way to get a trojan of this type is via an add-on program like a map-hack or item-grabber.

This won't help your brother get his account back, but it might help prevent him losing his next one.

T

train

Try to clean up your system by getting rid of programs/files that were downloaded recently - then use a program that automatically enters your password for you...

If the same hacker tries another trojan you won't be entering keystrokes...

You could also create hot keys/commands that would enter the password for you and if the hacker tries to use these keystrokes - they won't be set-up on his system so it won't work.

You could have a computer PROGRAMMER search your system and determine where the trojan came from... in case you could use this info to be presented to Blizzard as proof of theft. There could be some serious legal penalties for the hacker if you submit proof...

It's either get screwed over and over again or deal with this problem...

Good Luck!